The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Just now, Jack Reed said:

18 year old again, you couldn't make it up, 

It even says in the article that this will give him good experience? I mean, come on. What a crock of shite. It's abundantly clear that McCabe is not signing his own people. I know this isn't an "academy graduate" but I think Gowsers finishing school is just the latest ropey caper in our recent history (dodgy owners, dodgier super agents etc).

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I know Salim is out on loan but that’s now seven strikers at the club and only six defenders, five of whom are full backs :lol: 

Where’s Murrayball to put all 7 of them on the park at the one time when you need it? 

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

'McCabeball' is somehow even more mental than 'Murrayball.'

Let’s just play every game like Murrayball. Five strikers up top, McCabe on his own at the back, Frizzell at left back, Fordyce winning flick ons in midfield. We genuinely wouldn’t concede easier goals than we already do. 

20 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Not the hairy arsed centre-half or midfield shithouse I was after. And scoring goals isn’t our problem. But I suppose it makes sense if either or both of Jamieson and Salim depart. Hopefully more Willie McLaren than Jay Riley! 

In saying that, replacing Jamieson and Salim with Dixon and Bright is pretty underwhelming. The former came with at least something of a pedigree and some first team experience. But won’t write the boy off yet. Hope he turns out to be a find. And actually gets on the park… 

We waited in anticipation at the start of the season for new experienced signings and it did not happen. I think we can all be reasonably sure what the future business model is going to be. I said at the start of the Wetherspoon saga that I would not turn up every week to see us languish in this league to decelop players for other sides, my attitude is still the same.

By all means bring youth on, but surely not at the expense of mounting a decent challenge.

Being an Airdrie supporter invoves having a bit of hope going forward, I'm starting to lose it.

Nothing wrong with signing these lads (we need the numbers) as long as we get in a couple of first team players as well (preferably a centre half and a defensive midfielder). I do think it’s easier to be 18 and inexperienced as a striker rather than a defender so hopefully Dixon and Bright can have better debuts than Riley.

38 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Nothing wrong with signing these lads (we need the numbers) as long as we get in a couple of first team players as well (preferably a centre half and a defensive midfielder). I do think it’s easier to be 18 and inexperienced as a striker rather than a defender so hopefully Dixon and Bright can have better debuts than Riley.

Could hardly have a worse debut, I thought the idea  of a development team was to get young lads ready to move up a grade, proving to be a waste of time, 

I don’t have much of an issue with signing younger players. McCabe, Watson, Telfer, Fordyce, Gallagher and even Frizzell and Smith for their age all have plenty of experience so having young players to supplement them is fine. We could definitely do with an older centre back and midfielder but having these guys as depth is fine, it’s more that a forward is the last position we need to strengthen at the moment. 

I do think we don’t use the part-time aspect of being hybrid enough though. Most of our signings this season seem to be young guys dropping out of full-time football, as well as some experience in Telfer, Lyness and ATS. I could be wrong but I think only Watson and Gallagher are part-time in the current squad? It’s probably tricky for us to compete for part-time players with Kelty, Darvel, even Edinburgh to an extent but I feel we could do with two or three part-timers who know the level to pad out the squad a bit. They don’t have to be world beaters, just a few average League One players to come in to do a job and offer something different when needed.

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I don’t have much of an issue with signing younger players. McCabe, Watson, Telfer, Fordyce, Gallagher and even Frizzell and Smith for their age all have plenty of experience so having young players to supplement them is fine. We could definitely do with an older centre back and midfielder but having these guys as depth is fine, it’s more that a forward is the last position we need to strengthen at the moment. 

I do think we don’t use the part-time aspect of being hybrid enough though. Most of our signings this season seem to be young guys dropping out of full-time football, as well as some experience in Telfer, Lyness and ATS. I could be wrong but I think only Watson and Gallagher are part-time in the current squad? It’s probably tricky for us to compete for part-time players with Kelty, Darvel, even Edinburgh to an extent but I feel we could do with two or three part-timers who know the level to pad out the squad a bit. They don’t have to be world beaters, just a few average League One players to come in to do a job and offer something different when needed.

Needing to get rid of a good few full time players in that case, Edinburgh celebrated like they had won a cup, that's the kind of spirit we need, makes tomorrows trip to Peterhead dodgy, 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Joe Dixon has just came from the 10th tier of English football where couldn't get a game! (He forgot to mention it in his interview)McCabe has already suggested that he is for the future and therefore is unlikely to be involved. 

Jay Riley has already played a major parts in us dropping points.

Prince has never played a single pro game.

At least Ben Stanway has amassed 3 sub appearances!

Wotherspoon take 2!