The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

Having watched the highlights last night (I originally watched the game on DTV on Monday) it's impossible to tell if the first penalty was a foul or not because of the position of the camera. However for me, the Edinburgh player bought the second one by diving into Watson's leg. It took me 2over two days to watch the highlights because Monday was so painful and maybe we do need to add more cynicism to our game but I don't like to see it. I also hate when players cup their hands round their ears or put their fingers to their lips aimed at opposition fans - it is a clear "f**k you" gesture that should be yellow carded. And no, I still haven't got over losing that game from 2-0 up and cruising...

I did the same as you but was more enraged by Watson's naive defending.

27 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

the Edinburgh player bought the second one

I was pretty much in line with this and thought it was a penalty, I can see what you mean about diving into his leg but you could see the penalty coming, dreadful defending.

8 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

I was pretty much in line with this and thought it was a penalty, I can see what you mean about diving into his leg but you could see the penalty coming, dreadful defending.

I had a good view of the second one looking across and said straight away it was a penalty. Still furious about the opportunity to do the basics and just clear it. 

5 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I had a good view of the second one looking across and said straight away it was a penalty. Still furious about the opportunity to do the basics and just clear it. 

If you watch McCabe's reaction he agrees with you, he was furious with Watson.

This is the issue with Watson. On his day he can look a classy defender because he will try and play out from the back, but the problem is in every game there are a couple of moments where he does (or is close to doing) something like he did on Monday. I personally don't think he is a good enough defender to be a regular centre back if we want promotion. I know he won player of the month in December, but that was 2 games, and also bear in mind he almost cost us the game against Falkirk in the last minute by getting caught wrong side and then a blatant shove that should have been a red card and penalty. A competent referee and his month of December would have consisted of a red card and a suspension.

I also think we lack a physical presence at the back which is partly why we are so bad from set pieces. A centre back would by my main target for January, that plus Rae coming back in would make a real difference. Watson is a really useful player to have, he's versatile and particularly with Ballantyne being in and out the team he provides important cover at right back and centre back, but I think we need to strengthen there.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

13 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If you watch McCabe's reaction he agrees with you, he was furious with Watson.

This is the issue with Watson. On his day he can look a classy defender because he will try and play out from the back, but the problem is in every game there are a couple of moments where he does (or is close to doing) something like he did on Monday. I personally don't think he is a good enough defender to be a regular centre back if we want promotion. I know he won player of the month in December, but that was 2 games, and also bear in mind he almost cost us the game against Falkirk in the last minute by getting caught wrong side and then a blatant shove that should have been a red card and penalty. A competent referee and his month of December would have consisted of a red card and a suspension.

I also think we lack a physical presence at the back which is partly why we are so bad from set pieces. A centre back would by my main target for January, that plus Rae coming back in would make a real difference. Watson is a really useful player to have, he's versatile and particularly with Ballantyne being in and out the team he provides important cover at right back and centre back, but I think we need to strengthen there.

Still one of my favourite players - much rather have him in the team than not. No one is at this level that doesn’t make mistakes. Just a stinking day at the office all round after such a great start. 

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Read in the match preview that Ballantyne is injured but it doesn't say how long for. As someone 'in the don't know' (ITDK) does anyone know any rumours about any potential signings? 

It didn't look good for Ballantyne as it seemed a quick decision to sub him. Watson back to RB on Saturday!

I fully agree with most of the postings here, we need a better keeper (Rae will hopefully fill this role), we need a commanding centre back (no idea where we get one though) and we need someone making decisions on the bench.

The one thing that has been mentioned that I disagree with is a need for a left back. We have a development squad who are performing well, and we should be looking to bring in more youngsters to the team from that squad. The thing with youngsters is that you get some inconsistency in performance until they gain more experience. This has been the case with Deveney, he started very inconsistently, but has been improving as the season has gone on, we need to stick with him, and let him improve into a quality left back.

For similar reasons, I would have been happier keeping Henderson in goals rather than bringing in Lyness who has been poorer in the position in my opinion. However, the reason for this change may have been to protect Hendersons confidence as McCabe mentioned in the Clyde post match interview that the clean sheet would have helped Henderson's confidence after letting in 6 against Edinburgh. He let in 4 more against Montrose a couple of games later, and so his confidence may have been suffering.

17 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

And also Scott Agnew back at East Fife as player coach which seems very strange given that he left EF to come to us to be nearer the central belt and since has had 2 jobs in Fife.

And no, he couldn't have done a job for us!

Makes you wonder after watching 60min of our game last week, still manager will have had a word with the boys, again. 

1 hour ago, Sage Monkey said:

I fully agree with most of the postings here, we need a better keeper (Rae will hopefully fill this role), we need a commanding centre back (no idea where we get one though) and we need someone making decisions on the bench.

The one thing that has been mentioned that I disagree with is a need for a left back. We have a development squad who are performing well, and we should be looking to bring in more youngsters to the team from that squad. The thing with youngsters is that you get some inconsistency in performance until they gain more experience. This has been the case with Deveney, he started very inconsistently, but has been improving as the season has gone on, we need to stick with him, and let him improve into a quality left back.

For similar reasons, I would have been happier keeping Henderson in goals rather than bringing in Lyness who has been poorer in the position in my opinion. However, the reason for this change may have been to protect Hendersons confidence as McCabe mentioned in the Clyde post match interview that the clean sheet would have helped Henderson's confidence after letting in 6 against Edinburgh. He let in 4 more against Montrose a couple of games later, and so his confidence may have been suffering.

I've been critical of Deveney and there's no doubt he has improved but he is 20 years old and has  previous experience of professional football. On the other hand Jay Riley has just turned 18 and has no experience in the pro ranks and unfortunately that was abundantly clear therefore we need to be careful with youngsters. 

I would still have hope for Alex Henderson as his big issue was with his feet. The legend that is Johnny Martin wouldn't get a game these days with goalies tippy tappying about the 6 yard box.

As for new additions, it depends on availability, affordability and if they improve the starting 11. 

For anyone not on the Facebook Page, I’m organising an “Fitba Nomad Day” event for anyone who is interested before the Alloa game. 

https://fb.me/e/2xilBHBe6

Last year the Fitba Nomad visited Airdrie on his journeys. He deemed it his adventure of the year and has provided a plaque declaring Airdrieonians as his club of the year. 

On 28th of January I will be retracing his route with the plaque in hand from the West End Bar to Cue Here to the Albert Bar before taking in Airdrieonians v Alloa. 

It’s a chance to treat a home game like an away game, support 3 excellent Airdrie businesses and the football club and hopefully also have my adventure of the season. 

It would be great if people fancied joining me for the journey.