The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

When Cammy went off I was sitting waiting for ATS to come on. There’s a time and a place to start introducing young players to the first team and this was neither. He looked out his depth and sadly the red card was coming. Surprised he wasn’t booked when the ref gave the first penalty. I think that’s what led to the nonsense between Hutton and their bench. If he had been, he’d have been sent off sooner.  Should have subbed him second half.  Shocking defending all round today. A policy of signing Gow’s academy teens or whoever McNamara throws our way is absolutely not what I pay my season ticket for. 

I must admit, I didn’t have any issues with Riley coming on. Yes he’s inexperienced but we were controlling the game and a straight swap made more sense to me than reshuffling the defence. He had a disaster but if we’re counting him as part of the first team squad then he should be capable of playing in that when we’re already two goals ahead. Hopefully he learns from the experience.

I do think we should have taken him off during the second half though. It might be a bit embarrassing but ultimately you have to make tough decisions sometimes and being subbed is possibly less confidence denting than being sent off. Dropping McCabe back one and bringing Devenny or Stanway into midfield might have covered some of the ridiculously big gaps in there. 

Irrespective of this game today a certain weaknesses seem to be constant in the team in my opinion. The inability to deal effectively with high balls into the box is a regular feature of our play. Edinburgh took full advantage of this as they had several six foot plus players attacking the ball in our box in these situations.

The lack of height and a not very commanding keeper means that we will alway have to score four or more each game to be sure of a win. Surely Rhys must see this!

36 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Combination of game management and some players who had one too many sherries on NYE by the looks of it. But it's the former that will thwart our aspirations - McCabe is out of his depth as out on the park he is either ignoring or doesn't have the capability to see what's happening around him. Where is the management "support" that was promised when he was appointed? Time the club followed through with this, swallowed its pride and bring in an experienced individual to help. 

He's probably done as well as you could expect of a player-manager but in my head and my heart, I don't think he's the man to get us promoted unfortunately. 

Morgyn Neil going to Alloa apparently. We should be getting in and about that. Exactly the sort of centre-half we need. 

Speaking of which, I noticed a player taking part in the warm-up and in the dugout who I didn't recognise but who had Airdrie training gear on. Anyone know who? 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

He's probably done as well as you could expect of a player-manager but in my head and my heart, I don't think he's the man to get us promoted unfortunately. 

Morgyn Neil going to Alloa apparently. We should be getting in and about that. Exactly the sort of centre-half we need. 

Speaking of which, I noticed a player taking part in the warm-up and in the dugout who I didn't recognise but who had Airdrie training gear on. Anyone know who? 

Maybe the last of the northern irish contingent who have been here since the summer?

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I must admit, I didn’t have any issues with Riley coming on. Yes he’s inexperienced but we were controlling the game and a straight swap made more sense to me than reshuffling the defence. He had a disaster but if we’re counting him as part of the first team squad then he should be capable of playing in that when we’re already two goals ahead. Hopefully he learns from the experience.

I do think we should have taken him off during the second half though. It might be a bit embarrassing but ultimately you have to make tough decisions sometimes and being subbed is possibly less confidence denting than being sent off. Dropping McCabe back one and bringing Devenny or Stanway into midfield might have covered some of the ridiculously big gaps in there. 

Agree totally(surely this cannot last)..

Firstly Edinburgh are a very good side,  we As a team can only play in spells, that first 25 today. We looked unbeatable, everything you want worked,    you could visibly see the tempo and intensity drop after that and so could Edinburgh,  passes were going astray, letting a shell shocked Edinburgh regroup,  the penalty was soft, the 2nd goal was just a typical Airdrie goal to lose,   The second half we were outplayed where it counted in the final third, Smith scored another cracker although I thought he was clearly offside,   after that you knew we wo ulld cave in at the back...u'll

moving forward we need players,  not feel good youth prospects , or neat and tidy midfield players,  a left back,  old school centre half, Fordyce still struggling and physica!ity up front,  would Sal have made a difference late on today against Fontaine, we will never know....

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

Irrespective of this game today a certain weaknesses seem to be constant in the team in my opinion. The inability to deal effectively with high balls into the box is a regular feature of our play. Edinburgh took full advantage of this as they had several six foot plus players attacking the ball in our box in these situations.

The lack of height and a not very commanding keeper means that we will alway have to score four or more each game to be sure of a win. Surely Rhys must see this!

Makes it even more frustrating that Watson didn't let the ball run out of play! McCabe did mention it in his interview but it's been like that the whole season now...

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

Maybe the last of the northern irish contingent who have been here since the summer?

Probably, although he looked different from the other lad who's been in the warm-ups previously and at the foot-golf (boy today had blonde hair). Tried to look through some sites and Google for players and did wonder if it might be Quinn Coulson, who's just been released by Raith, but I don't think it's him.

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Disaster of a debut for Riley. At least Kyle Turner’s debut was funny.

I was thinking Gus Caesar at Love Street was possibly the worst I’d seen. that beat it by some way.

Hopefully he can bounce back from it. Couldn’t have been worse.

4 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

When Cammy went off I was sitting waiting for ATS to come on. There’s a time and a place to start introducing young players to the first team and this was neither. He looked out his depth and sadly the red card was coming. Surprised he wasn’t booked when the ref gave the first penalty. I think that’s what led to the nonsense between Hutton and their bench. If he had been, he’d have been sent off sooner.  Should have subbed him second half.  Shocking defending all round today. A policy of signing Gow’s academy teens or whoever McNamara throws our way is absolutely not what I pay my season ticket for. 

You say "signing Gow's academy teens" like it's another club or something. They are our own academy players who we are promoting which generally can only be a good thing.

Hindsight is great but on the face of it bringing someone on for their debut when we are cruising at 2-0 up isn't the craziest decision ever like some have made it out to be.

McCabe is a young manager who will make mistakes just like young players do and i agree that not taking riley off after his 1st yellow was one of them. 

Call me deluded but if we made a decent signing in defence and rae back in the team i would still be optimistic for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

You say "signing Gow's academy teens" like it's another club or something. They are our own academy players who we are promoting which generally can only be a good thing.

Hindsight is great but on the face of it bringing someone on for their debut when we are cruising at 2-0 up isn't the craziest decision ever like some have made it out to be.

McCabe is a young manager who will make mistakes just like young players do and i agree that not taking riley off after his 1st yellow was one of them. 

Call me deluded but if we made a decent signing in defence and rae back in the team i would still be optimistic for the rest of the season.

Agree with this, thats why I think having gone down the McCabe route we need to back him medium term (unless there is a complete disaster in results)

8 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Agree with this, thats why I think having gone down the McCabe route we need to back him medium term (unless there is a complete disaster in results)

Couldn't agree more.

We've tried something different with him being younger than the normal player/managers with Rhys having so much of his playing career left, so we should give him a fair crack of the whip. We need to accept that mistakes will be made but i firmly believe that all managers need at least two summer transfer windows to mould a team.

The club structure and support for Rhys that many posters have commented on since his appointment is a real issue though.

Another point of discussion is:

Has the Academy impacted our first team budget? Pros and cons with Academies but ultimately judged on bringing through and selling players for profit otherwise they're doomed. Tom Wotherspoon got his fingers badly burnt with a similar vision.

And amidst our disappointment yesterday it's noted that Queens Park are top of the Championship which highlights the fine lines in football!

9 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

It’s a long term project which will take time. We’ve relied on it too much this season to fill a bench and gaps in what has always been a light squad.

49 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Couldn't agree more.

We've tried something different with him being younger than the normal player/managers with Rhys having so much of his playing career left, so we should give him a fair crack of the whip. We need to accept that mistakes will be made but i firmly believe that all managers need at least two summer transfer windows to mould a team.

The club structure and support for Rhys that many posters have commented on since his appointment is a real issue though.

Another point of discussion is:

Has the Academy impacted our first team budget? Pros and cons with Academies but ultimately judged on bringing through and selling players for profit otherwise they're doomed. Tom Wotherspoon got his fingers badly burnt with a similar vision.

And amidst our disappointment yesterday it's noted that Queens Park are top of the Championship which highlights the fine lines in football!

Going to stay in this league a few years more, do you agree with that, 

3 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Going to stay in this league a few years more, do you agree with that, 

Of course not but we were never going to win the league this year as our budget is tiny in comparison with Falkirk & Dunfermline and our only hope is to sneak through in the play offs.

We're also not great with choosing managers, Wolecki Black, Findlay, Wilson and don't forget that it took Ian Murray 4 seasons to put together a decent side which ultimately failed.

Investment (or unearthing a couple of gems from the youth academy) is the route to getting out this league or getting lucky in the play offs.

55 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

It’s a long term project which will take time. We’ve relied on it too much this season to fill a bench and gaps in what has always been a light squad.

It should be but if it doesn't return results or ultimately cash then it will get canned.

36 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Of course not but we were never going to win the league this year as our budget is tiny in comparison with Falkirk & Dunfermline and our only hope is to sneak through in the play offs.

We're also not great with choosing managers, Wolecki Black, Findlay, Wilson and don't forget that it took Ian Murray 4 seasons to put together a decent side which ultimately failed.

Investment (or unearthing a couple of gems from the youth academy) is the route to getting out this league or getting lucky in the play offs.

Aye its not easy, the subs for the opposition have played a big part on the outcome of our results, sat our sub was very poor and although we were 2 up  manager has got to hold his hand up to being wrong, untested 18 year old with players on the bench that really 2off anyway that have done very little wrong, manager needs to be on the line , it's a big ask to be player and manager, really only my opinion but manager must get to close to players. 

40 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I think that’s nonsense. I’m certainly not calling for McCabe’s head and I don’t think he’s done a dreadful job considering he’s had to balance playing and managerial duties and it’s his first season as a manager, but Murray’s first full season with us was better than this and then he gradually improved us over the course of 4 seasons to the point where we had a team that would’ve won the league any other year and deserved to go up. Our budget is certainly less than Falkirk or Dunfermline’s but Arbroath’s budget was less than Raith Rovers’ a few years ago and we’ve finished ahead of Falkirk with a smaller budget the past two seasons. Regardless of budget, we went into this season with several players from last season (McCabe, Frizzell, Smith, Fordyce) that any team in our division (even those with a bigger budget) would’ve gladly taken and added another two anyone would have in Ballantyne and Rae. We’ve been unlucky to lose Rae through injury and for Frizzell to have had a spell out injured too, but the core of our squad is good enough to challenge and we should be doing much better. We didn’t lose yesterday because we don’t have enough money, we lost because the defending wasn’t good enough (a common theme this season) and there was absolutely no game management from the manager (only one unforced sub?).

Would a sudden influx of money put us in a better position? Undoubtedly, as it would for any team. But evidently there are funds available to sign players. If there wasn’t how would we have signed Lyness after the window had closed? We also just signed Stanway on loan, and there was more room to bring in other loans in the summer but we didn’t do that. Under Murray we utilised loans really well, last season alone we had Paterson, McGill, McInroy, Afolabi, Devenny, Caves, MacDonald, and while some of them were much more effective than others the sheer numbers are there to see. In previous seasons we’ve seen Turner, Paton, Connell, Smith, McCann, Ryan, Glass, Campbell etc all brought in on loan. This summer it’s just Jamieson and McMaster other than Wylie who left soon after joining and just there we’ve brought in Stanway. It’s criminal that more hasn’t been done to bring in players to accompany what actually is a decent core squad. We desperately need a centre back and have all season. As far as I’m concerned Fordyce is our only natural centre back since Watson seems far more comfortable playing right back. Even just a player to provide a bit of competition at the back is fine. Not one of that back four has his position threatened at the moment. One good centre back signing would give Watson competition, which in turn would give Ballantyne competition since Watson could play right back, and since Balamtyne could play left back Deveney would also be threatened. Failing that we need to sign a proper defensive midfielder to allow McCabe to play centre back and return to last season’s centre half pairing.

Said it a few times now but Josh Kerr (let go), Scott McGill (could have been re-signed on loan) and Jordan Allan (let go) would all improve this squad. You could even make a case for Scott Walker (who wasn’t good enough) offering something in terms of competition at the back.

Long post but I'm struggling to see what part of my post is nonsense as you seem to concur with the majority of it.

I agree McCabe should stay I've never said otherwise, quite the opposite.

Did you think we could win the league when the summer transfer window closed? I'm an optimist but reality suggested play offs.

Bigger budgets help, everyone agrees, you agree, although there are exceptions as you pointed out and i hope there is also one this season.

One other point that struck me during the Quitongo case was the £375 per week full time basic wage and whilst I've no doubt that wasn't or highest wage, it does let you know where we are. That's lucky to make the minimum living wage in Scotland.

8 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Long post but I'm struggling to see what part of my post is nonsense as you seem to concur with the majority of it.

I agree McCabe should stay I've never said otherwise, quite the opposite.

Did you think we could win the league when the summer transfer window closed? I'm an optimist but reality suggested play offs.

Bigger budgets help, everyone agrees, you agree, although there are exceptions as you pointed out and i hope there is also one this season.

One other point that struck me during the Quitongo case was the £375 per week full time basic wage and whilst I've no doubt that wasn't or highest wage, it does let you know where we are. That's lucky to make the minimum living wage in Scotland.

I thought your suggestion was that we could never win the league with our budget? As far as I’m concerned it’s mismanagement rather than budget that’s put us in this position. Falkirk have mismanaged their larger budget every season and it’s got them nowhere. Regardless of budget we should be performing much better with the core squad we have and I don’t believe the lack of competition in the squad is down to budget but rather poor recruitment. I thought we had an outside chance of winning the league at the start of the season although I was worried about the squad size. A good start masked the obvious weakness of the squad size but I truly thought more signings would be made before the window closed, I was surprised by the lack of activity and even more surprised that we loaned out Salim. I just don’t think we can really blame any of our shortcomings on budget since it’s mismanagement from a rookie manager trying to do two jobs that’s the real issue. I‘d really like to see a new (non-playing) assistant manager brought in and Dycey returning to just player and captain to allow someone to manage from the dug out and Dycey to concentrate on his game.

Quitongo’s wage was something I noticed as well. I don’t know how football translates into hours in a working week but 39.5 hours a week at the living wage of £9.50 (which is minimum wage for over 25s) pays the same. You’d earn more stacking shelves in Lidl than you would with a full-time contract at Airdrie. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more players wanting to be part time.