The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

While it’s a great laugh signing Bright, McCabe doesn’t strike me as the sort of manager who’d add him to the squad just for the sake of it. Indeed, he’s publicly made his signing policy doing exactly *not* that. So he must see something in him. And if nothing else, you sometimes just need a big haddy striker on the bench for something different which we now have. I think most play-off semi-finals we’ve won have been partly due to a haddy upfront finally coming good (Derek Holmes, Jack McKay and Afolabi) so we’ve at least now got that basis covered. 

Buzzing to see him play but important to remember that he’s only a boy despite his size and his hype so hopefully folk are patient with him. 

58 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

January and we still can’t defend? Not fucking good enough. Cruising here and let them back into it through our own slackness. 

Aye, it's all that experience we are happy with, need a manager that can set up a team to defend, at least 6 experienced players needed if we are to get out this league not prospects that will move on if good enough, 

58 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

January and we still can’t defend? Not fucking good enough. Cruising here and let them back into it through our own slackness. 

Fair do's.

Young RB clearly out of his depth and whilst i didn't think it was a penalty for Edinburgh's 1st, he he did got caught wrong side giving the ref a decision to make. and unfortunately fell apart after that. Having said that Watson made an equally bad mistake for the 2nd pen and Frizzell had his worst game ever in Airdrie strip

I'll repeat again, we need to sign players who walk straight into our 1st 11.

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Fair do's.

Young RB clearly out of his depth and whilst i didn't think it was a penalty for Edinburgh's 1st, he he did got caught wrong side giving the ref a decision to make. and unfortunately fell apart after that. Having said that Watson made an equally bad mistake for the 2nd pen and Frizzell had his worst game ever in Airdrie strip

Agree a good few need replaced, 

From being 2-0 up and cruising we should not be losing that game. Started off playing the ball around really well and then became too slack and casual. Then going forward after 2-0 there was a lack of movement, the front 3 just stood still at times. For a big physical team like Edinburgh when Ballantyne came off McCabe made the wrong substitution. I really feel for young Reilly it's a nightmare debut but we have to remember he's just a young boy at 18, really hope this doesn't destroy his confidence, ATS would of been the correct change.

For the first penalty I'd need to see it again as it was from the far end from where I was sitting. For the 2nd its far too soft and we shouldn't be conceding soft goals from set pieces. For the 2nd penalty it was stupid from Watson not to clear it and then bring down the player clumsily, completely needless from an 'experienced player'. The 4th goal similar to the first no one picking up there man, this is the reason I've been saying time and again we need a proper centre half and proper defenders.

It's disappointing especially with such a good performance against Montrose last Friday. 

Strange game, very dissapointing result but felt it hinged on the first penalty (not sure what it was for but at the far end from where I was sitting) and Ballantyne going off. Should have been able to see it out though, thought the keeper invited corners into the 6 yard box and will be happy when Rae can come in and play, as @Kenny_msays that's the worst ive seen Frizzel play, second penalty was dreadful defending and a stupid one to give away. My son said at the end that Edinburgh were lot like Queens Park last season, big, experienced and knew what they were about, I still think we have the basis of a good team but need to add a couple of first team players if we are going up.

4 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Strange game, very dissapointing result but felt it hinged on the first penalty (not sure what it was for but at the far end from where I was sitting) and Ballantyne going off. Should have been able to see it out though, thought the keeper invited corners into the 6 yard box and will be happy when Rae can come in and play, as @Kenny_msays that's the worst ive seen Frizzel play, second penalty was dreadful defending and a stupid one to give away. My son said at the end that Edinburgh were lot like Queens Park last season, big, experienced and knew what they were about, I still think we have the basis of a good team but need to add a couple of first team players if we are going up.

Lost count now of the number of times where we have lost out to bigger and more physical sides. Great signing talented youngsters but today showed the negative side of bringing young and inexperienced players into a game like that.

It is likely that we may even play Edinburgh in the playoffs if we're lucky and in that respect we are going to be up against it. A change of keeper, a commanding center half and Sinclair at left back and we might have a chance against sides like Edinburgh.

Fair play to Jay Riley, that must be the most disastrous debut I’ve ever seen. I thought he looked nervous and hesitant as soon as he came on, stuck between sitting too deep and seeming unsure when going forward, and ultimately every mistake was down to him being hesitant or rash. I don’t want to be hard on him given he’s just a young guy making his debut, I suppose the only way for him is up. 

There were a lot of people wasting their energy being angry with the referee at the end and the Edinburgh players celebrations but there’s no one to blame for that result but ourselves. We started really well and looked pretty comfortable at 2-0, I think before the penalty Edinburgh only had one chance of note. For me both penalties were correct. The first is incredibly soft and I wouldn’t have even claimed for it at the other end but ultimately Riley puts his hands on the Edinburgh player and gives the referee a decision to make. The second penalty was just ridiculous from Watson, who had a very poor second half. It’s frustrating, as it felt like we had to cut through Edinburgh with good play yet their goals are two penalties, two set-pieces and a counter attack when we’re chasing the game. They’ve scored 15 goals against us this season and most of them have been gifts. I think Fontaine shows exactly what we’re missing at the back too. We might not be able to get anyone of his quality but a big, solid, sensible defender who heads everything away would be ideal for this team. Even a Morgyn Neill type would make a big difference.

We’re a very frustrating team. We haven’t played particularly well at times during our recent unbeaten run but it’s hard to argue with 14/18 points, especially off the back of a terrific win at Montrose. At 2-0 today we had a great opportunity to close the gap on Edinburgh and move back into the top four ahead of a decent run of fixtures this month but daft mistakes cost us yet again. 

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

There were a lot of people wasting their energy being angry with the referee at the end and the Edinburgh players celebrations but there’s no one to blame for that result but ourselves.

Agree with this

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The second penalty was just ridiculous from Watson, who had a very poor second half.

And this...

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

think Fontaine shows exactly what we’re missing at the back too. We might not be able to get anyone of his quality but a big, solid, sensible defender who heads everything away would be ideal for this team

And this as well

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

There were a lot of people wasting their energy being angry with the referee at the end and the Edinburgh players celebrations but there’s no one to blame for that result but ourselves. We started really well and looked pretty comfortable at 2-0, I think before the penalty Edinburgh only had one chance of note. For me both penalties were correct. The first is incredibly soft and I wouldn’t have even claimed for it at the other end but ultimately Riley puts his hands on the Edinburgh player and gives the referee a decision to make.

A really balanced view of the game 👏. TBH you blew us away first 20 minutes and it felt like daylight robbery to go in at half time 2-2. A really entertaining game and a good day out in Airdrie, nice to go to a proper stadium and also get a warm welcome from the home fans. 

First half hour it felt like 2-0 going on 6-0 so to come out with nothing is really disappointing. Can’t complain about either penalty, the second one was a stonewaller and the first one was maybe a bit soft but I looked to the ref as soon as I saw Riley put his hands on the attacker. Can’t complain about the red card either as it was two very clear yellow card challenges. What I don’t understand is how we were 4-1 down against that team earlier in the season with 10 men and were playing with 2 at the back and going for it (which we all agreed was wrong), but today at 4-3 and 11 on the park we didn’t really seem to be going full throttle to get back into the game.

I think there’s been a lack of game management, rather than the squad being too light, inexperienced, or not good enough. I don’t want to be too critical of McCabe as I like him as a player and last season I had very little doubt he was a great leader in the squad and a potential captain for us, but that game wouldn’t have unravelled like that under Murray. Murray would’ve tinkered with the shape to regain control and wouldn’t have been afraid to hook Riley when it clearly wasn’t going well.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Fair do's.

That was especially pathetic from Watson but it was just another in a long list of abject defensive performances and soft as shit goals conceded this season. I've said it before but I genuinely don't think we've conceded one good, well worked or unavoidable goal this season. Quite simply, you should not be 2-0 up at home or scoring 3 goals at home and getting beat under any circumstances. 

2-0 up and cruising and playing some lovely stuff. Yet our own slackness and errors is what gives them a few chances and ultimately lets them back into it after Cammy goes off. Don't want to dig up Riley too hard but... wow I'm not sure you'll see a worse debut than that. Caught on the wrong side for the penalty and, whether it's a penalty or not, he gives the referee a decision to make. Badly exposed and makes a dreadful tackle for the free-kick leading to the equaliser. And he's too hesitant and indecisive at the ball which leads to his stonewall second yellow. We actually said during the game we'd have been subbed him off which, while it might have been a bit embarrassing, would have been much better for everybody. It's a shame as he's waited long enough to actually play for us. I hope his confidence isn't shot too much and he can learn from it and come back and contribute to the squad. 

But at 2-1 up, and 3-3, our game management just has to be better. Smith took his goals nicely and did really well to get us back into that position. But Watson is awful for the penalty. Beaten far too easily and then lazily concedes the most stonewall penalty you'll ever see. The idea that him or anyone else from that clown car defence is a PotY contender is laughable. Then no idea why Watson doesn't let the ball run out instead of kicking it out for the corner. Fordyce doesn't even bother to stay on See and McCabe's defending of said corner and the free-kick for the second is dreadful too. All well and good McCabe saying the goals we lost were too soft in his post-match interview. You're the fucking manager mate - get it sorted! Lyness not at fault for any of the goals but his constant flapping at cross balls doesn't inspire any confidence at all. Praying that Rae will be back in on Saturday. 

Incredibly disappointing that we completely lost our shape at 4-3 and didn't really attempt to go for it. First time there's a full bench for months and making just one unforced sub isn't good enough. Devenny should have been on at some point IMO as our midfield was giving up far too much space at points in the second-half (as usual). Stanway too, meant to be a decent prospect and at least has a bit of first team football in his locker. You're a goal down, might as well go for it. Even Bright as well. We lost a late fifth anyway - why not get another forward on the park or go for a bit of size and chaos factor? Would have rather had him up there as a proper forward than Watson or Fordyce who both ended up there and contributed nothing. Again, points to our game management (and lack of authority figure in the dugout?) being a problem.

Really disappointing day. And annoyed that more people were angry at the referee and Maybury and Handling and co rather than at our management team for the garbage defending we're being served up every week. Don't think anyone should be calling for his head necessarily but McCabe is still getting far too easy a time of it considering it's January and we still can't defend. 

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Nothing to add to my post on the game thread. Go on you say.

Shambolic managerial decision in first half, and if ATS is not a suitable defender at two up then just let him go. 

Rhys McCabe is a good enough player but he's not a manager - yet. 5 months in and he's still proving to be tactically naive with either his formations or substitutions.  

Other teams have been dropping points as well but at the moment we have mid table written all over us. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That was especially pathetic from Watson but it was just another in a long list of abject defensive performances and soft as shit goals conceded this season. I've said it before but I genuinely don't think we've conceded one good, well worked or unavoidable goal this season. Quite simply, you should not be 2-0 up at home or scoring 3 goals at home and getting beat under any circumstances. 

2-0 up and cruising and playing some lovely stuff. Yet our own slackness and errors is what gives them a few chances and ultimately lets them back into it after Cammy goes off. Don't want to dig up Riley too hard but... wow I'm not sure you'll see a worse debut than that. Caught on the wrong side for the penalty and, whether it's a penalty or not, he gives the referee a decision to make. Badly exposed and makes a dreadful tackle for the free-kick leading to the equaliser. And he's too hesitant and indecisive at the ball which leads to his stonewall second yellow. We actually said during the game we'd have been subbed him off which, while it might have been a bit embarrassing, would have been much better for everybody. It's a shame as he's waited long enough to actually play for us. I hope his confidence isn't shot too much and he can learn from it and come back and contribute to the squad. 

But at 2-1 up, and 3-3, our game management just has to be better. Smith took his goals nicely and did really well to get us back into that position. But Watson is awful for the penalty. Beaten far too easily and then lazily concedes the most stonewall penalty you'll ever see. The idea that him or anyone else from that clown car defence is a PotY contender is laughable. Then no idea why Watson doesn't let the ball run out instead of kicking it out for the corner. Fordyce doesn't even bother to stay on See and McCabe's defending of said corner and the free-kick for the second is dreadful too. All well and good McCabe saying the goals we lost were too soft in his post-match interview. You're the fucking manager mate - get it sorted! Lyness not at fault for any of the goals but his constant flapping at cross balls doesn't inspire any confidence at all. Praying that Rae will be back in on Saturday. 

Incredibly disappointing that we completely lost our shape at 4-3 and didn't really attempt to go for it. First time there's a full bench for months and making just one unforced sub isn't good enough. Devenny should have been on at some point IMO as our midfield was giving up far too much space at points in the second-half (as usual). Stanway too, meant to be a decent prospect and at least has a bit of first team football in his locker. You're a goal down, might as well go for it. Even Bright as well. We lost a late fifth anyway - why not get another forward on the park or go for a bit of size and chaos factor? Would have rather had him up there as a proper forward than Watson or Fordyce who both ended up there and contributed nothing. Again, points to our game management (and lack of authority figure in the dugout?) being a problem.

Really disappointing day. And annoyed that more people were angry at the referee and Maybury and Handling and co rather than at our management team for the garbage defending we're being served up every week. Don't think anyone should be calling for his head necessarily but McCabe is still getting far too easy a time of it considering it's January and we still can't defend. 

Combination of game management and some players who had one too many sherries on NYE by the looks of it. But it's the former that will thwart our aspirations - McCabe is out of his depth as out on the park he is either ignoring or doesn't have the capability to see what's happening around him. Where is the management "support" that was promised when he was appointed? Time the club followed through with this, swallowed its pride and bring in an experienced individual to help.