The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I wouldn't turn down improvements to the starting 11, clearly. However I don't really agree, I think our current position is down to lack of options from the bench and lack of options in the squad when injuries and suspensions have happened. In numerous games we've lost points because the opposition have had options to change the game and we haven't, and most of our dropped points came when Frizzell wasn't playing.

If we could add 3 or 4 players who are similar to the standard of our first 11 it would make a massive difference and we'd make the play-offs relatively comfortably.

I'd rather pool the wages of the 3 or 4 you mention and secure 2 Kerr McInroy types  as ultimately it will only be quality that gets us through the play offs.

I still believe that we would be a championship club just now if we hadn't lost McInroy last January. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

It looks like Prince & Riley were all but signed anyway but i wouldn't think they are serious contenders for the starting 11.

Seems to be a lot of Thistle fans saying nice things about Stanway but its fair to question his experience, which is virtually zero, but lets see him play. Again it's unlikely he will start tomorrow which is not the type of signing i was looking for. 

Reading  that Riley had a bad injury back in March, but certainly seems to be well thought of, RB seems his position could be handy if we see some more red cards, 

You never said quality you said experienced which doesn't always equal quality.  We will bring in another 2 or 3 and hopefully they have quality and push us on even if there not experienced haha guy from thistle is well thought of hopefully does us a turn 

I would agree that there is more than enough experience in the squad.

People also forget what league we're in sometimes. Since when has there been experienced players available at this level in January?

Just a few decent loans for depth and i will be very optimistic for the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I'd rather pool the wages of the 3 or 4 you mention and secure 2 Kerr McInroy types  as ultimately it will only be quality that gets us through the play offs.

I still believe that we would be a championship club just now if we hadn't lost McInroy last January. 

agree with you there @Kenny_mwould rather 1 or 2 that go straight into the starting 11 than 3 or 4 for the bench and yes when you look at how close it ended in the league I think keeping McInroy would have made the difference.  Still happy we've brought in anyone though given the slow pace of things in the summer...

29 minutes ago, Afc88 said:

You never said quality you said experienced which doesn't always equal quality.  We will bring in another 2 or 3 and hopefully they have quality and push us on even if there not experienced haha guy from thistle is well thought of hopefully does us a turn 

We do want the same thing, I would like to think if a manager signed  player with experience he would have a bit of quality, I just don't have the same confidence in 18year old players with practically no first team experience, would like us to continue our winning game tomorrow, happy new year, 

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I wouldn't turn down improvements to the starting 11, clearly. However I don't really agree, I think our current position is down to lack of options from the bench and lack of options in the squad when injuries and suspensions have happened. In numerous games we've lost points because the opposition have had options to change the game and we haven't, and most of our dropped points came when Frizzell wasn't playing.

If we could add 3 or 4 players who are similar to the standard of our first 11 it would make a massive difference and we'd make the play-offs relatively comfortably.

Rhys mentions in his interview hoping to bring in "2 or 3". If as seems likely at present we lose LJ back to St Mirren that's only an additional 1 or 2. I don't know how long the loan is for young McMaster but if that ends in January there's another one gone. The potential 2 or 3 additions then don't swell the squad overly much if those 2 are gone. Sal returning from Stranraer (if that's what happens) gives us another body for the bench. Defo think we need more than 2 or 3 if the loans are ending.

25 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Rhys mentions in his interview hoping to bring in "2 or 3". If as seems likely at present we lose LJ back to St Mirren that's only an additional 1 or 2. I don't know how long the loan is for young McMaster but if that ends in January there's another one gone. The potential 2 or 3 additions then don't swell the squad overly much if those 2 are gone. Sal returning from Stranraer (if that's what happens) gives us another body for the bench. Defo think we need more than 2 or 3 if the loans are ending.

I think McMaster is a season long loan,  LJ I can see getting taken back to Paisley, maybe try and sell him, Goalscorer s are like hens teeth these days and not cuptied either,  

Sal is a weird one, I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped to West of Scotland League, apart from a good season at Queens Park the rest of his senior career has been a disappointment and injury plagued,   I think he is a good option off the bench for us, is that enough for him and Rhys though....

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I think McMaster is a season long loan,  LJ I can see getting taken back to Paisley, maybe try and sell him, Goalscorer s are like hens teeth these days and not cuptied either,  

Sal is a weird one, I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped to West of Scotland League, apart from a good season at Queens Park the rest of his senior career has been a disappointment and injury plagued,   I think he is a good option off the bench for us, is that enough for him and Rhys though....

Sal needs to stay at us unless Stranraer want him back as he’s played with two teams this year 

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

LJ I can see getting taken back to Paisley, maybe try and sell him, Goalscorer s are like hens teeth these days and not cuptied either,  

Its been pointed out before but Lewis Jamieson has played for St Mirren this season. He cant play for a 3rd team. He goes back and stays at St Mirren or he stays at Airdrie, those are the only options.