The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

What kind of player is he? We’re pretty short on numbers in most positions so he should get plenty of opportunities.

Midfielder, versatile can play further up on wing if required .  Only 18 but looks far older and not slight or brushed off the ball easily.  

Very highly rated by the manager and coaches.  Expected to go to a higher level than us in a few years. Hope he does well with the diamonds and I think it will work out well for both Ben and Airdrie 👍

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Happy new year fellow diamonds! Hope it’s a beautiful one for us all and we finally win a fucking play-off. All the best. Airdrie for the cup ♦️🍺

Yes hope so, and  all  the best to fans and team, a wee bit experienced player to add to the 3 18years olds signed would be great and needed, 

20 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Where did you hear this ?

20 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

The Prince, Irish lad and Ben Stanway 

22 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Yes hope so, and  all  the best to fans and team, a wee bit experienced player to add to the 3 18years olds signed would be great and needed, 

Plenty of experience in our starting 11 and the squad. I just want guys that are going to improve us no matter what age. 

29 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Here's hoping this Ben is much better than the previous Ben we had on loan earlier on in the season.

Someone shared a great picture of Ben Wylie bamming up Montrose fans at the play-off game on Twitter the other day. For a player who did absolutely nothing on the pitch he is at least quite entertaining off it.

8BF6AB67-17D1-4A60-A1AA-1FFB36800255.thumb.jpeg.f7819436cdb4d622de41c9d1d0b79328.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Someone shared a great picture of Ben Wylie bamming up Montrose fans at the play-off game on Twitter the other day. For a player who did absolutely nothing on the pitch he is at least quite entertaining off it.

8BF6AB67-17D1-4A60-A1AA-1FFB36800255.thumb.jpeg.f7819436cdb4d622de41c9d1d0b79328.jpeg

That is hilarious 😆 on the left side of the picture I think that is the goalkeeper for Celtic B team either laughing at Ben Wylie's GIRFUY to the Montrose fans or also giving it GIRFUY back. I'm not sure why two players that play for Celtic B team would be celebrating an Airdrie goal.

28 minutes ago, Afc88 said:

Plenty of experience in our starting 11 and the squad. I just want guys that are going to improve us no matter what age. 

The bench I was  thinking of, so many games are won with subs to our cost, wasn't age I mentioned it was experience which seems to come with game time at first team level, 

29 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Oluwayemi, Owen Moffat and I think Lawal used to come to our games quite a lot. I think they enjoyed Afolabi’s performance in particular, and who didn’t? Speaking of which, I take it we’re signing Moffat this window? 

A shame we never saw or got to benefit from Wylie’s shithousing abilities. 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

It looks like Prince & Riley were all but signed anyway but i wouldn't think they are serious contenders for the starting 11.

Seems to be a lot of Thistle fans saying nice things about Stanway but its fair to question his experience, which is virtually zero, but lets see him play. Again it's unlikely he will start tomorrow which is not the type of signing i was looking for. 

21 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

The bench I was  thinking of, so many games are won with subs to our cost, wasn't age I mentioned it was experience which seems to come with game time at first team level, 

Maybe on the bench but 9 of the 11 against montrose that started are experienced at this level and some higher.  Just better players on the bench will help no matter there experience if they are an improvement on what we have 

1 hour ago, Afc88 said:

Maybe on the bench but 9 of the 11 against montrose that started are experienced at this level and some higher.  Just better players on the bench will help no matter there experience if they are an improvement on what we have 

That's what I am saying we  need quality to  bring on, 

Not sure of the need for 'experience'. Fordyce, Gallagher, Ballantyne, Watson, Telfer, McCabe are as experienced as you'll get at this level. Lyness hasn't played a huge amount of games but is 31, and Smith and Frizzell have both played well over 100 games.

I think the mix of youth and experience in the squad is great, it is literally just the number of competent players that is the issue.

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Nope, we're 5th in the League, we need to improve our starting 11 if we want to get into and through the play offs.

I wouldn't turn down improvements to the starting 11, clearly. However I don't really agree, I think our current position is down to lack of options from the bench and lack of options in the squad when injuries and suspensions have happened. In numerous games we've lost points because the opposition have had options to change the game and we haven't, and most of our dropped points came when Frizzell wasn't playing.

If we could add 3 or 4 players who are similar to the standard of our first 11 it would make a massive difference and we'd make the play-offs relatively comfortably.