The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Cove apart, the league last season was also total garbage. Falkirk were dreadful, QP obviously turned it on at the right time but were miles off it most of the season, Montrose were Montrose, and everyone else was cannon fodder.

This season there is still a Cove type team in Dunfermline, but Falkirk are better, Alloa are better and Kelty and Edinburgh are a massive upgrade on the 2 relegated sides. QOS are doing poorly but have some decent players. It's hard to compare teams, but I don't think last season's team in this league would be doing any better than we are now in all honesty. It's a much tougher task this season.

Looking back, last seasons team were flat-track bullies to an extent. Very comfortable against anyone outside the top four but play-offs included were about even in head to head against Montrose and Queen’s Park and obviously just lacked a bit against Cove. This is undoubtedly a tougher league and while I do think last seasons team would be a few points better off than we are now, I don’t think we’d have continued that great run and Dunfermline would still have the edge on them. 

I think top four was the realistic target at the start of the season and despite an abysmal run we’re in there at the halfway point. There’s still a long way to go but definitely something to build on.

From what I heard last night, Jamieson away back to st mirren. He doesn’t want to go as will almost certainly be sitting on the bench. Seems completely pointless. Guess he might come back towards end of January if st mirren sign other okayers

15 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Him not even coming on makes it look that way. He didn’t impact every game but his goals and overall output were good and important to us so they’ll have to be replaced. We won’t do that with Gabby and Salim alone. 

I think it would be ashame for both parties (as in the player and Airdrie) if he goes back. It was a good example of the benefits of a loan for a young player, he clearly has talent but I think also needed to learn more of the realities of playing first team football with a (by League 1 standards) demanding support and manager/teammates. He deserves credit for coming through that early spell and I think could go from strength to strength this season. If he was to go out to another club and play every week then I'd understand that, but if he's going back to play reserve football it would be a poor move for his development.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Looking back, last seasons team were flat-track bullies to an extent. Very comfortable against anyone outside the top four but play-offs included were about even in head to head against Montrose and Queen’s Park and obviously just lacked a bit against Cove. This is undoubtedly a tougher league and while I do think last seasons team would be a few points better off than we are now, I don’t think we’d have continued that great run and Dunfermline would still have the edge on them. 

I think top four was the realistic target at the start of the season and despite an abysmal run we’re in there at the halfway point. There’s still a long way to go but definitely something to build on.

After 18 games last season we had 32 points. So we're only 3 points worse off this season. However we've played 10 away games this season and only 8 at home, given our home record it's fair to assume that given an even 9 home and 9 away this season (or 10 home and 8 away as some have played) we would probably be exactly where we were last season, in what most would accept is a tougher league.

Given the increase in standard of the league I'd say we are doing better than we were after 18 games last season. Obviously that doesn't tell the full story because we were much better in the second half of last season and I can't see any way we'd go on a similar run this season. But overall I think it backs up Passionate's original comment, there's a perception that there has been a massive drop-off from last season but that hasn't really been the case, yet at least.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

After 18 games last season we had 32 points. So we're only 3 points worse off this season. However we've played 10 away games this season and only 8 at home, given our home record it's fair to assume that given an even 9 home and 9 away this season (or 10 home and 8 away as some have played) we would probably be exactly where we were last season, in what most would accept is a tougher league.

Given the increase in standard of the league I'd say we are doing better than we were after 18 games last season. Obviously that doesn't tell the full story because we were much better in the second half of last season and I can't see any way we'd go on a similar run this season. But overall I think it backs up Passionate's original comment, there's a perception that there has been a massive drop-off from last season but that hasn't really been the case, yet at least.

Yeah I think that’s fair. I mentioned it after the Falkirk game but our season being so distinctly split into a dreadful run bookended by two unbeaten runs makes things seem a bit worse. Spread those defeats out across the season and I think things appear a bit more reasonable.

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

The writing was on the wall,  , when St Mirren refused him permission for the  Scottish Cup tie,   goalscorer s are hard to come by, no chance he is good enough for me Premier League,  but he will attract attention and saints could well cash in,   he is far far from the finished article....

I believe that St Mirren will be looking to loan Jamieson out to a Championship side to see if he can hack it at that level and to get more money in for him whilst on loan, a bit like McBride last season. As for salim, I noticed that he hasn't been a regular starter for Stranraer this season and from watching all the highlights he doesn't look that fit in terms of playing in our current side. I would expect Salim to stay put with Airdrie looking for a loanee from another club.

On 24/12/2022 at 16:16, dextermorgan said:

I believe that St Mirren will be looking to loan Jamieson out to a Championship side to see if he can hack it at that level and to get more money in for him whilst on loan, a bit like McBride last season.

Can't be done: he made an appearance for St Mirren in the League Cup before going out on loan so he can't play for anyone other than Airdrie or St Mirren for the rest of the season.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Can't be done: he made an appearance for St Mirren in the League Cup before going out on loan so he can't play for anyone other than Airdrie or St Mirren for the rest of the season.

would this not then mean he is likely to stay with us as I cant see him getting much first team football at St Mirren?

On 23/12/2022 at 21:43, airdrieman said:

Great result! And by the sounds of things a couple of cracking goals. First win from behind this season! And back in the top 4. Merry Christmas diamonds. Hope everyone who made it up had a grand night and has a safe journey home ♦️

On 23/12/2022 at 20:02, airdrieman said:

Fed up of this bullshit every week. 

Life comes at you fast as an Airdrie fan.

10 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

18 played and 18 to go. Who else has Gallagher as their player of the year so far?

Toss up between Gal and Frizzell so far. For young player of the year I'd say Euan Deveney so far. Feel like he's improved so much since he's joined. Watching the highlights back from the Montrose game the movement and finishing from him was sublime.

Gallagher and Deveney for me too.

I've always been a Gallagher fanboy but he's really improved his all-round game this season. He's still scoring at a decent rate but his link-up play is a lot better now, he already has five assists which as many as he's had in any other season. He's always been a very good League One striker but the Dundee game showed he can more than hold his own against a good team from a higher level. I still think a decent number of fans underrate him. 

As @David Fernándezsays, Deveney has improved loads since the start of the season. He still has his off days but he never hides and, possibly Watson aside, he's been our most consistent defender this season. 

If it wasn't for the injury I think Frizz walks it; expect he will walk it if he stays fit from here on out. 

Gal has been superb, agree with every point made on him, and I also echo Mr November vis a vis Janny, who has very good in my opinion. Defensively and chipping in with assists. Plus he's doubled his goal tally from last season! 

Euan D ahead in the young player stakes for me, but we've seen how good Justin can be on his day too. LJ has done very well too and is also young. 

Another 18 games to see how things develop. 

Cannot emphasis enough how YUGE I think a win on Monday would be, for momentum and belief. We surely owe them one now, right? They won't be easy, clearly having a very good season, but law of averages suggests we will win a game against them eventually and we're going really well now. Mind you, we went into the first league game in good form so you can't read too much into that. 

Lay some ghosts to rest please, Airdrie, and put them to the sword you swashbuckling belters. 

If Frizz had played the season , he would stroll it, unfortunately he missed a bundle of games, so Callum Smith and Craig Watson for me,   Smith although not a natural finisher yet will probably come good  and be prolific in the next2 or 3 seasons,  he is a very important player with pace who I think could play a level up no problem....  Watson has been a rock alongside an erratic Fordyce and a self destructing Ballantyne not o mention the plethora of keepers at his back,   we all talk of wanting another centre half,  is there many better in the league this season...

Euan Deveney been mentioned in some posts, he has improved during the season although he is suspect defensively , I believe the left back position will be one of the first areas to be improved on this transfer window,  time will tell....