The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I see that Yvonne is moving on from the stadium/club. That's a real shame but good luck to her if she's moving up in the world. It's thoroughly well deserved. Always found her to be exceptionally helpful (especially as an out of towner) and always dealt with any issues or queries with haste, competence and professionalism. Airdrie's loss for sure. All the best Yvonne!

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Hope Martín Prest is enjoying a pint or two tonight. 

F0085DC9-0B68-456A-8AAF-A95647FFE91A.jpeg

Ah Martin Prest. A blast from the past whose name always raises a smile from one of the funniest lines I ever heard at a football ground. Back in the days when I used to stand next to the away dugout at games. Raith Rovers were in town during Antonia Calderon's brief stint as manager and Martin Prest had just done one of his usual sand-dancing efforts which resulted in him firing the ball about 15 yards wide or over the top or something. Calderon was trying to attract his attention and shouting in Spanish. Prest either couldn't hear him or was successfully pretending he didn't. So Calderon shouts to one of the Scottish players, sadly can't remember who now. "Hey, [Insert name], you go and tell Martine he's sheet". Cue much hilarity on the terrace nearby. 😂

Well it's nearly transfer window time and it seems there are some rumours on the Bookface page that we could be very active. I'm not sure Sal will return as he doesn't seem to have made much of an impact at Stranraer and perhaps Jamieson may return to St Mirren. That would leave that would leave us short upfront which seems to be the most difficult position to fill at our level.

Anyway, as i always say, the players who come in have got to be first picks in our starting eleven otherwise it could be struggle to secure a top 4 finish.

14 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

For anyone that watched Airdrie in the 90s, we've got Andy Smith on our latest podcast episode talking about our game against you at the end of 96. 

Lots of chat about Airdrie with Andy and of course our lack of love for you! 

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/11899392

A  good listen takes you back alright,   for a period 86 to 96  Dunfermline were arguably our main bitter rival, the m and Thistle.....It was proper Football, big crowds (B).and if I remember rightly all games were hard fought,   don't mention Tynecastle.

sadly both clubs have had varying degrees of struggles since

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

A  good listen takes you back alright,   for a period 86 to 96  Dunfermline were arguably our main bitter rival, the m and Thistle.....It was proper Football, big crowds (B).and if I remember rightly all games were hard fought,   don't mention Tynecastle.

sadly both clubs have had varying degrees of struggles since

A very good part time club alright, great days, I personally fall down a bit can't stop comparing present team with that  team, 

I always remember Dunfermline as being a big rival from the 90's, and as you say big crowds. Airdrie, Falkirk, Dunfermline, St Mirren, Raith, Thistle are the ones that stick in my mind from the 90's when I was going to a lot of games, strange to see 3 of them in league 1 with Airdrie pretty firmply established there and Falkirk not far behind, a sign of the success of the "new teams" ICT, Ross County, Livi and more recently Cove and Queens Park. 

Hopefuly the transfer window is more successful than the pre-season window, cant see past Dunfermline winning the league with Edinburgh and Falkrik taking two playoff spots so need to strenthen and try and finish above Alloa and Montrose, as we saw last year if you get in the playoffs you always stand a chance.

15 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Well it's nearly transfer window time and it seems there are some rumours on the Bookface page that we could be very active. I'm not sure Sal will return as he doesn't seem to have made much of an impact at Stranraer and perhaps Jamieson may return to St Mirren. That would leave that would leave us short upfront which seems to be the most difficult position to fill at our level.

Anyway, as i always say, the players who come in have got to be first picks in our starting eleven otherwise it could be struggle to secure a top 4 finish.

A proper holding midfielder, in the Marvyn Wilson or Martin Hardie mould, and another centre-half would be my priority. Both, but especially a holding midfielder would make a monumental difference to this team. Keeping or replacing Jamieson would also be a priority. I'd keep Salim around as we've seen this season how important it is to have at least SOMEBODY on the bench you can trust to bring on and maybe make a difference. I think he can only play for us or Stranraer in the SPFL for the rest of this season so it wouldn't surprise me if he stuck around (though it wouldn't surprise me if he left either). Another couple of players to fill out the bench would be ideal, maybe a proper winger. 

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

A proper holding midfielder, in the Marvyn Wilson or Martin Hardie mould, and another centre-half would be my priority. Both, but especially a holding midfielder would make a monumental difference to this team. Keeping or replacing Jamieson would also be a priority. I'd keep Salim around as we've seen this season how important it is to have at least SOMEBODY on the bench you can trust to bring on and maybe make a difference. I think he can only play for us or Stranraer in the SPFL for the rest of this season so it wouldn't surprise me if he stuck around (though it wouldn't surprise me if he left either). Another couple of players to fill out the bench would be ideal, maybe a proper winger. 

I suppose it will depend on whether Stranraer want to keep him, he does offer something different but fitness looks a worry. Agree we need a centre half and a winger but i believe McCabe is our best option in the holding midfield role and it's more of a big energetic aggressive type we need.

We already have plenty bench fillers, Deveney, Telfer, Lyness, Henderson, ATS, McMaster, Gabby and possibly Sal.

On 19/12/2022 at 09:19, airdrieman said:

I see that Yvonne is moving on from the stadium/club. That's a real shame but good luck to her if she's moving up in the world. It's thoroughly well deserved. Always found her to be exceptionally helpful (especially as an out of towner) and always dealt with any issues or queries with haste, competence and professionalism. Airdrie's loss for sure. All the best Yvonne!

Is there any particular reason behind this one? She will be a big miss, few folk are cracking up on the Facebook page as apparently there was a shoddy reason for the sensory room being shut down too.

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Is there any particular reason behind this one? She will be a big miss, few folk are cracking up on the Facebook page as apparently there was a shoddy reason for the sensory room being shut down too.

Was the sensory room actually being used?

Can see why people would be annoyed if it was but i was under the impression that we just got rid of it because nobody used it.

On 21/12/2022 at 17:51, Kenny_m said:

I suppose it will depend on whether Stranraer want to keep him, he does offer something different but fitness looks a worry. Agree we need a centre half and a winger but i believe McCabe is our best option in the holding midfield role and it's more of a big energetic aggressive type we need.

We already have plenty bench fillers, Deveney, Telfer, Lyness, Henderson, ATS, McMaster, Gabby and possibly Sal.

Don't think Telfer here to be a bench filler, 

On 21/12/2022 at 17:51, Kenny_m said:

6 outfield bench fillers in a squad that only has 15 outfielders.

32 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

6 outfield bench fillers in a squad that only has 15 outfielders.

It was in response to us getting several players in January and @airdrieman suggesting we sign a couple of bench fillers. My take is that the players we sign go straight into the 1st eleven and some of the current incumbents move to the bench.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

It was in response to us getting several players in January and @airdrieman suggesting we sign a couple of bench fillers. My take is that the players we sign go straight into the 1st eleven and some of the current incumbents move to the bench.

Ah I see. I think ideally we should be bringing in at least a centre back and centre mid that improve the current starting 11, and a few more needed purely for numbers certainly.

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Ah I see. I think ideally we should be bringing in at least a centre back and centre mid that improve the current starting 11, and a few more needed purely for numbers certainly.

I do think this January window is absolutely crucial to our hopes of securing a play off spot. (massive match tonight)

Interesting that you and most others suggest we need another centre mid. I don't disagree but there is probably more competition for this position than anywhere else in the side. (Frizzell, McCabe, Telfer, Devenny & McMaster)

Definitely 2 new signings at least to improve the outfield required and hopefully the returning Josh Rae strengthens the starting 11 as well.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I do think this January window is absolutely crucial to our hopes of securing a play off spot. (massive match tonight)

Interesting that you and most others suggest we need another centre mid. I don't disagree but there is probably more competition for this position than anywhere else in the side. (Frizzell, McCabe, Telfer, Devenny & McMaster)

Definitely 2 new signings at least to improve the outfield required and hopefully the returning Josh Rae strengthens the starting 11 as well.

We do have options but I think most people mean a specific kind of midfielder. Frizzell and Devenny are industrious and McCabe can put himself about at times but we do lack physicality in there, and with Easton’s technical ability away we probably need to be a bit more combative at times. I suppose we still need a Wylie replacement, although I reckon you could play and I’d offer just as much as he did. 

Dropping Jamieson after he made such an impact in the last game against Montrose is a bold move. I’m not there tonight but interested to see how that midfield works too, as it never worked at all Kelty.