The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I totally agree with other posters that it was our lack of squad depth which ultimately cost us today, more so than goal keeping errors. We were still in the game at 2 each and more than capable of getting something despite being down to 10 men, even if it was penalties, if we'd had fresh legs to bring on in the same way that Dundee did. They were able to make 6 substitutions as well as the concussion sub for the keeper whereas we had Gabby and ATS both of whom have had a lack of minutes recently due to respective injuries. Thereafter the young laddies were only used when the game was well gone. 

I'm not overly concerned about the cup as it's the league where we really need to be grinding out results until we can hopefully strengthen in January. It may have been nice to get to the next round and hopefully bring in some additional finances but that's not to be. I'm certainly not throwing toys out the pram and worrying that the season is finished for us, as it's far from it.

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Typo

I thought Gallagher was outstanding today. He had a tough shift up against three massive centre backs but he held the ball up really well, linked play with the midfield and possibly even got a rare goal from what looked like just outside the box. He’s always been a great goalscorer but his overall game has really improved this season. I can’t fault any of the players efforts today but Gallagher and Smith in particular put in a real shift as always.

Gal was my MOTM and Smithy a close second.

ref gave them all the breaks on niggly fouls.

will watch the red card bookings with interest.

complete howler for 2nd goals and initial feeling was that if it was Dundee keeper they would have had foul for challenge in keeper at their first goal.

Ref was so quick to give Cammy 2nd yellow….small man syndrome.

8 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

No more to be said, except there is a lack of football knowledge within manegment and board, 

Are you really suggesting Rhys McCabe (who has played with Rangers in the SPL and Sheff Wed in the English Championship) has no football knowledge?

Have really heard it all now. 

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

I thought Gallagher was outstanding today. He had a tough shift up against three massive centre backs but he held the ball up really well, linked play with the midfield and possibly even got a rare goal from what looked like just outside the box. He’s always been a great goalscorer but his overall game has really improved this season. I can’t fault any of the players efforts today but Gallagher and Smith in particular put in a real shift as always.

It's amazing how under rated Gal is even amongst our own support...there's very few strikers our there at our level who guarantee the goals he brings every season. 

Yes his touch and link up play can sometimes be poor but he's one of the best around at our level at playing the target man role and being a handful for opposition centre half's. 

18 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

It's amazing how under rated Gal is even amongst our own support...there's very few strikers our there at our level who guarantee the goals he brings every season. 

Yes his touch and link up play can sometimes be poor but he's one of the best around at our level at playing the target man role and being a handful for opposition centre half's. 

Agree entirely Gall produces year in year out,  15 goals a season is priceless ...

You can understand   St Mirrens decision not to Cup tie Jamieson  ,  he has no chance in breaking into their first team,   but he guarantees goals, plenty teams will be looking at him with a view to signing in january..

I would much rather Alex Henderson was in goals making those mistakes, at least he has the get-out of being young and raw. For an experienced keeper Lyness has no excuses for the errors today & certainly against Edinburgh. Genuinely feel he cost us the cup-tie today.
ETA: Any of the usual ITK’s care to let us know how Josh Rae is getting on? [mention=83910]Sarahs Uncle[/mention] perhaps?

Lyness has only really played a handful of games at every team he's been with, he's older at 31 but wouldn't say he's experienced either. Watching the goals against us yesterday is even worse than i imagined. The sooner Josh Rae is back the better.

15 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

He's worked under various managers his entire career and hopefully picked some stuff up, the season just past he was "managing" younger boys in the team while on the pitch anyway so your point is pish.

You will be right I will be pish as you say, time will tell, 

15 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

When you at Dundee team at finished the game only 4 that started the game, Who scored 4goals in extra time was it the subs, I know we were a man short but no way could we have brought any one of the bench to win us the game, 

20 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

The club chose to go down the young manager route at least we can give him a chance. He hasn't even had a full summer transfer window to work with yet as many decisions were made before his appointment therefore it would xmas 2023 before i would even be reviewing his position.

There is of course the fact that he is also very important experienced player who we wouldn't want to lose. (and his cousin)

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The club chose to go down the young manager route at least we can give him a chance. He hasn't even had a full summer transfer window to work with yet as many decisions were made before his appointment therefore it would xmas 2023 before i would even be reviewing his position.

There is of course the fact that he is also very important experienced player who we wouldn't want to lose. (and his cousin)

A right family club, agree McCabe is a good player at this level, but as I have learned over the last 60year supporting Airdrie best no  get to attached to players or managers, they all seem to depart while yours truly is still here, 

46 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

You said a lack of football knowledge in the board and at management level. There is no need to wait for time to tell, the point is rubbish. Bobby Watson, Martin Ferguson are still around the club at boardroom level in some capacity, there's a wealth of knowledge. Rhys has plenty of football knowledge, it's just about translating that to managing a team from off the park as well as he organises on it. As pointed out by another poster he also needs to be given a full summer transfer window to see what his player identification ability is like.

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

A right family club, agree McCabe is a good player at this level, but as I have learned over the last 60year supporting Airdrie best no  get to attached to players or managers, they all seem to depart while yours truly is still here, 

True but that goes for every club in the world and absolutely nothing to do with the point i'm making. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

I will stand corrected is there ever been a successful player manager, 

Again it's not the point i'm making. I believe that manager's including player/managers are written off far too quickly without being given time to build a squad.