The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

We don’t have the consistency to make up any sort of ground that isn’t at most 6 points. Is the gap between us and the play-offs going to be that or less come January 3rd? No IMO. A complete waste of this team’s talent and potential keeping McCabe in charge. Agreed on that he needs to make us less open. But he’s been the manager for what, 6 months now? It’s not going to happen. 

Not too long ago Airdrie were flying and top of the league, I think the team are more than capable of going on a decent run as they've done so not so long ago whilst playing some pretty good football. Everyone wanted Ian Murray sacked during the lockdown season, the board stuck with him and he turned it round. Who do you suggest the club bring in to replace McCabe? There is really a lack of mamagerial talent out there. I'm not a complete happy clapper I've criticised his tactics and his lack of signings more than enough on here and I fully agree the bench at the moment is an embarrassment. I'm pretty sure the manager knows how thin the squad is and the defensive issues he's got to surely. I'm just saying a lot can change in this league and a few wins can see you climb up the table and other teams could end up having a poor run later on down the line like ourselves. If we aren't gonna win the league I'm not bothered if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th as long as we are in the mix that is the main thing.

10 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Fordyce has been so abysmal this season I’d play ATS over him at centre-half. Seemed inconceivable when he was making an arse of himself for Falkirk last season but I’d do anything to take Fordyce out the team at this point. ATS has maybe been our best centre-half this season? Which is a big problem. If we can’t get a new manager who can actually organise a defence then we need at least one new centre-half in January. 

I got into a ‘discussion’ about this on the Facebook group where it was implied I’d have been happy to sign journeymen. You don’t need to sign journeymen or jobbers. But every squad literally just needs players they can trust to bring on off the bench who can maybe a change a game. We don’t have that at all. No harm to them but neither ATS or McMaster are going to positively influence the game from the bench. And having a bunch of kids on the bench who are never going to come on is a joke. Take last season - neither Jordan Allan or Salim were good enough to start for us. But they both won us 4 points from the bench with their late goals v Dumbarton. Look at Afolabi’s impact in the play-offs. Gabby won a point or two off the bench also? As did Leighton McIntosh for Cove. We don’t have anybody who can do that for us and it’s entirely of McCabe’s doing. Salim could still be on our bench right now… 

Agreed. The Salim one I genuinely do not get. He's not good enough to be a starter but one thing he has shown a few times is that he is able to come on for the last 15 minutes and be in the right place to get a goal. To put him out on loan when we literally have no substitute strikers is just bizarre. There isn't even any need for him to be fully match fit for 90 minutes anyway given that he's only likely to ever be a substitute, so the entire basis for putting him out on loan is flawed anyway.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Looking forward to the trip on Saturday, both teams will go for the win just hope it’s us that does it , very tight league I’ve found where mistakes get punished and generally not a lot between any of the teams , going to be a long hard season for most of us where we could get playoffs at either end one way or another , take a draw 😀😀

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Had a listen to the OTL podcast this morning and think they put the current finger-gate situation perfectly. 

Quite interesting that the club have never been willing to come on the podcast and give fans a boardroom insight. 

It’s quite disheartening that we pay our money every week, buy the kits, buy the pies and pay for DTV+ but we can’t get a 2 minute interview with some club representatives. Can’t see the benefits of shying away from those who financially support you. Disheartening.

Agreed.

It's very strange behaviour although perhaps a legacy from the fallout with the Trust. A club our size has to have a relationship between board and fans or it will all end in tears.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Not too long ago Airdrie were flying and top of the league, I think the team are more than capable of going on a decent run as they've done so not so long ago whilst playing some pretty good football. Everyone wanted Ian Murray sacked during the lockdown season, the board stuck with him and he turned it round. Who do you suggest the club bring in to replace McCabe? There is really a lack of mamagerial talent out there. I'm not a complete happy clapper I've criticised his tactics and his lack of signings more than enough on here and I fully agree the bench at the moment is an embarrassment. I'm pretty sure the manager knows how thin the squad is and the defensive issues he's got to surely. I'm just saying a lot can change in this league and a few wins can see you climb up the table and other teams could end up having a poor run later on down the line like ourselves. If we aren't gonna win the league I'm not bothered if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th as long as we are in the mix that is the main thing.

He has failures on his CV but I'd be giving Paul Hartley whatever he wanted to take the job. He's won 4 titles and a play-off? We're not getting better than that. Allan Johnston is a bit dull as a name and has never been great in the Championship, but he wins this league every time he manages in it. He would get more out of this group of players and have a better January than McCabe IMO. Stuart Taylor might be a shout as a coach. He seems to be well thought of in that regard and he could really help McCabe from a coaching, shape and organisational perspective as well as run things in the dugout while McCabe and Fordyce are on the park. He also played in the team that beat Celtic at New Broomfield. Doesn't seem like he's necessarily a great manager though but even bringing him in just the dugout alone would surely help? Agreed that it's pretty slim pickings beyond that. 

Agreed also that on our day we can beat any team in this league. But that defence has been disgracefully bad since August and he's never once looked like fixing it. A team which can't win a game when it concedes a goal is not going to finish in the promotion play-offs. Being entirely reliant on scoring the first goal to win just isn't sustainable. 

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Had a listen to the OTL podcast this morning and think they put the current finger-gate situation perfectly. 

Quite interesting that the club have never been willing to come on the podcast and give fans a boardroom insight. 

It’s quite disheartening that we pay our money every week, buy the kits, buy the pies and pay for DTV+ but we can’t get a 2 minute interview with some club representatives. Can’t see the benefits of shying away from those who financially support you. Disheartening.

It was obviously in his own time so the club had no control over it, but it's particularly grating that he's done an Open Goal interview while not being allowed on our podcast.

51 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He has failures on his CV but I'd be giving Paul Hartley whatever he wanted to take the job. He's won 4 titles and a play-off? We're not getting better than that. Allan Johnston is a bit dull as a name and has never been great in the Championship, but he wins this league every time he manages in it. He would get more out of this group of players and have a better January than McCabe IMO. Stuart Taylor might be a shout as a coach. He seems to be well thought of in that regard and he could really help McCabe from a coaching, shape and organisational perspective as well as run things in the dugout while McCabe and Fordyce are on the park. He also played in the team that beat Celtic at New Broomfield. Doesn't seem like he's necessarily a great manager though but even bringing him in just the dugout alone would surely help? Agreed that it's pretty slim pickings beyond that. 

Agreed also that on our day we can beat any team in this league. But that defence has been disgracefully bad since August and he's never once looked like fixing it. A team which can't win a game when it concedes a goal is not going to finish in the promotion play-offs. Being entirely reliant on scoring the first goal to win just isn't sustainable. 

Noticed Stuart Taylor has been in hospitality at a couple of home games this season, wonder if he is angling for a coaching position.

Someone said on here that Agnew could be coming back as well as I don't think he's got another job yet. Would be happy with either of them.  

13 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Noticed Stuart Taylor has been in hospitality at a couple of home games this season, wonder if he is angling for a coaching position.

Someone said on here that Agnew could be coming back as well as I don't think he's got another job yet. Would be happy with either of them.  

Taylor was in hospitality when we were there for the QoS game. I believe Agnew was there for the game on Saturday but was in the stand for the Clyde game? Certainly think having either in the dugout at the very least would help things. 

32 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Taylor was in hospitality when we were there for the QoS game. I believe Agnew was there for the game on Saturday but was in the stand for the Clyde game? Certainly think having either in the dugout at the very least would help things. 

What happened with Agnew and Murray at Rovers, 

3 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

Think Agnew was struggling to balance our FT schedule with his business.   

Realistic reason, Seems a right enough guy but like our manager short on experience as a manager unless the view was to play, Might be the the player to play holding role, match fitness would then come into question. 

14 hours ago, Mr November said:

Obviously don’t want to rush him back but he would be a massive boost for the Falkirk, Dunfermline, Montrose triple header next month.

Even just having the option of him coming off the bench for 15 to 30 minutes to begin with would be a massive boost for any of our matches.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Last week, ban the guy who does the buses. This week, "hey guys we're doing supporters buses"... 👎

Is it not true that the guy who got banned for his inappropriate behaviour in front of kids, who ran buses for years,  has good on him put on 2 buses for the Dundee game and I am led to believe they are Fully booked on Thursday....  With no intention of running anymore (which is fine)

But at 1730 on Friday  the Club have announced they are also running a bus open to season ticket holders and 1924 members for the Dundee cup tie,   how in anyway does his affect the 2 other buses that are booked up anyway is it not important to get as many fans to the game as possible, and is this not the type of fan engagement from the club we have been crying out for...

The usual suspects moaning in the Facebook page, majority of which haven't been to a game for years or even in this country ....

Can someone please explain what the club are doing wrong on this occasion...

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Is it not true that the guy who got banned for his inappropriate behaviour in front of kids, who ran buses for years,  has good on him put on 2 buses for the Dundee game and I am led to believe they are Fully booked on Thursday....  With no intention of running anymore (which is fine)

But at 1730 on Friday  the Club have announced they are also running a bus open to season ticket holders and 1924 members for the Dundee cup tie,   how in anyway does his affect the 2 other buses that are booked up anyway is it not important to get as many fans to the game as possible, and is this not the type of fan engagement from the club we have been crying out for...

The usual suspects moaning in the Facebook page, majority of which haven't been to a game for years or even in this country ....

Nothing under normal circumstances but we all know the history behind it. (No doubt it will be Sam Green's bus who has refused to take Gary's bus for years)

PH's behaviour is becoming incredibly childish and worrying. he really has to grow up.

Did you type that with a straight face? You know the answer, strange trolling.
If people will benefit though, great. Shame it’s restricted to club1924 (wasn’t sure that was still a thing) and season ticket holders though.

Does anyone know the last time the club has organised a supporters bus to an away game?

If Gary does continue to run his buses to away games I'd imagine most folk (myself included) that has used his bus previously will continue to do so. I do feel when Gary was struggling to get a hold of bus companies someone from the club should of stepped in and tried to help him out.

Obviously the timing of the club running a supporters bus to the away games isn't great but at least they are trying to do something now (albeit late than never). I also feel the club should make this bus available for everyone, not just season ticket holders and 1924 members.

The club should just overturn his ban as this is getting incredibly petty and the club should try and work with Gary not against him to try and get more fans to away games.