The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah you're second paragraph was essentially what i was trying to say. It was stupid and immature but obviously the punishment doesn't fit the crime. That it is the unfortunate set of circumstances that led to the extreme punishment as opposed to the action itself. Which is why i have sympathy for him (although personally i don't like the way he has handled it since then).

I imagine when you have witnessed Airdrie fans engage in much worse behaviour go unpunished and you have followed the club for 39 years you are going to be emotional about it which may be how he hasn't handled it as well since the ban.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

3 needed at a minimum, would imagine all will be loans right enough. 

Do you think we have broken our relationship with Celtic now with the Ben Wylie loan or will there be a chance of them loaning us some players, saw they hammered Open Goal 6-1 last week.

2 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

Regarding the ATS vs Deveney debate for the left back slot, In the games I have seen, when ATS plays, he stays very deep and offers absolutely nothing going forward. Deveney is a weaker defender,  but is vastly superior going forward. The one to choose should surely depend upon whether you expect to be on the front foot or the back foot. I feel that we ought to be aiming to be on the front foot against anyone in this league, and therefore I prefer Deveney. Possibly in cup games against teams from a higher league, then ATS would be a better choice.

Fair point but ATS has hardly had a chance at left back. He’s either played centre back or on the left of a back 3 in pretty much every appearance.

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

Do you think we have broken our relationship with Celtic now with the Ben Wylie loan or will there be a chance of them loaning us some players, saw they hammered Open Goal 6-1 last week.

Hopefully not as we've done alright with taking a few of their players, time will tell.

On 13/11/2022 at 14:30, CapitalDiamond said:

I think you’ve answered your own question there. Had Gary done this at any time in the last 50 years he would not have had any kind of ban!! However with the Quitongo tribunal still in process the club want to be seen to take action against any complaint made.

Agree with your point that he’s responsible for his own actions. Just don’t think any Scottish Football Fan would have thought this would have been a foreseeable reaction. 

Only last August Football Nation gave a you Airdrie Fan a free jersey for saying on a video clip Airdrie 2 Motherwell 0….. F*#% Motherwell (accompanied by a middle digit).

Granted that was funny because it was a wee boy and the dad hastily ended the video message. Even Motherwell fans saw the funny side of it in the Comments Section.

Bit of a sea change in 15 months

backing up homer simpson GIF

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye so important to have a stronger bench, need keeper back and Frizzell who has been missed badly, and 3 loan players we would be like a new team, 

Every week there are examples of this. This week Montrose won 3-1 thanks to 2 late goals from substitutes (as they did against us). Alloa's 4th and 5th goals against Queens were scored by substitutes.

For us if our substitutes (or substitute) don't make us significantly weaker then it's a bonus, nevermind them actually making a positive impact.

I suppose it makes being a player manager easier if you have no options from the bench...

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Every week there are examples of this. This week Montrose won 3-1 thanks to 2 late goals from substitutes (as they did against us). Alloa's 4th and 5th goals against Queens were scored by substitutes.

For us if our substitutes (or substitute) don't make us significantly weaker then it's a bonus, nevermind them actually making a positive impact.

I suppose it makes being a player manager easier if you have no options from the bench...

I watched the highlights of these games and your points are correct: shows how important squad size, hopefully with some talent, matters in L1. Whether we can get back to that situation,  remains in

question.

I did think it funny to see him who shall not be mentioned being unaware of the Alloa attacker at the 5th goal. 

6 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Possibly, Wylie to me seemed like a Murray signings basically got dumped at McCabes door and let's be honest Rhys never really took to him at all,  we never met the game time promise of the loan and he was recalled,  Celtic have been good to us recently (imagine saying that 30 years ago) we need to be careful though,  they have numerous B players that would instantly upgrade our team...

12 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Possibly, Wylie to me seemed like a Murray signings basically got dumped at McCabes door and let's be honest Rhys never really took to him at all,  we never met the game time promise of the loan and he was recalled,  Celtic have been good to us recently (imagine saying that 30 years ago) we need to be careful though,  they have numerous B players that would instantly upgrade our team...

Not sure I'd say it is being 'good' to us, they let us have a couple of players who they knew they were going to release at the end of the season and were quite happy for someone else to contribute to some of their wages until then.

I thought Wylie looked well short of the standard we'd have been looking for. He's far too slow and didn't have much to his game other than safe possession play. I hoped that him going back would have freed up another loan option but clearly not.

The Lowland league is incredibly inconsistent, like with Celtic B beating Broomhill 6-1, they also lost 4-2 to Cumbernauld Colts, are 7th in the Lowland League and are currently sitting two places below the Civil Service Strollers and 5 places behind the University of Stirling. The only two stand outs I can think of are Rocco Vata (who at 17 is already having European clubs look at him) and Adam Brooks who Celtic rate quite highly, the chances of getting either on a loan would be very slim.

10 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

Regarding the ATS vs Deveney debate for the left back slot, In the games I have seen, when ATS plays, he stays very deep and offers absolutely nothing going forward. Deveney is a weaker defender,  but is vastly superior going forward. The one to choose should surely depend upon whether you expect to be on the front foot or the back foot. I feel that we ought to be aiming to be on the front foot against anyone in this league, and therefore I prefer Deveney. Possibly in cup games against teams from a higher league, then ATS would be a better choice.

Fordyce has been so abysmal this season I’d play ATS over him at centre-half. Seemed inconceivable when he was making an arse of himself for Falkirk last season but I’d do anything to take Fordyce out the team at this point. ATS has maybe been our best centre-half this season? Which is a big problem. If we can’t get a new manager who can actually organise a defence then we need at least one new centre-half in January. 

6 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I got into a ‘discussion’ about this on the Facebook group where it was implied I’d have been happy to sign journeymen. You don’t need to sign journeymen or jobbers. But every squad literally just needs players they can trust to bring on off the bench who can maybe a change a game. We don’t have that at all. No harm to them but neither ATS or McMaster are going to positively influence the game from the bench. And having a bunch of kids on the bench who are never going to come on is a joke. Take last season - neither Jordan Allan or Salim were good enough to start for us. But they both won us 4 points from the bench with their late goals v Dumbarton. Look at Afolabi’s impact in the play-offs. Gabby won a point or two off the bench also? As did Leighton McIntosh for Cove. We don’t have anybody who can do that for us and it’s entirely of McCabe’s doing. Salim could still be on our bench right now… 

Season defining run of games coming up after Dundee. Could either be well embedded in the play-offs or about 15 points behind. It starts on Saturday though. I’m already in the ‘get a proper manager’ camp but if we don’t beat Kelty surely questions have to be asked of McCabe? Considering our home form if you can’t beat Peterhead and Kelty then you’re done quite frankly. If we don’t win, get someone else in and let them have a go at that run of games and the January transfer window. 

65A69961-9345-42C9-8427-22AD0A2D5053.jpeg

F2AAA39C-73B3-4B8C-A5B7-6F545AA98BAF.jpeg

Season defining run of games coming up after Dundee. Could either be well embedded in the play-offs or about 15 points behind. It starts on Saturday though. I’m already in the ‘get a proper manager’ camp but if we don’t beat Kelty surely questions have to be asked of McCabe? Considering our home form if you can’t beat Peterhead and Kelty then you’re done quite frankly. If we don’t win, get someone else in and let them have a go at that run of games and the January transfer window. 
65A69961-9345-42C9-8427-22AD0A2D5053.thumb.jpeg.4447ec79876aae04600ce04cad0b8f9f.jpeg
F2AAA39C-73B3-4B8C-A5B7-6F545AA98BAF.thumb.jpeg.8305d8547f2bac3070839619642f686a.jpeg

Not sure if any game yet could be season defining, or even the ones before the new year, other teams will definitely drop points too. The league is that bonkers that if we went on a run we'd be right up there at the top end of the table. After the Montrose performance and with the right tactics applied I think McCabe can make a success of this, but he had to realise that with the players at our disposal, we have to be more solid and less open. That's what will win us the points as scoring goals isn't an issue. If he doesn't address this then we will experience similar to Saturday. I think the board will give McCabe till the end of the season unless we are in any danger of getting relegated. I'd be all for Scott Agnew coming back in as like a 'Head Coach'. He would be someone who is well liked by the players, someone familiar to the majority of the squad and someone who can give the management team a different perspective from watching the game on the sidelines. Don't think Murray would of taken him to Raith as his assistant for no reason.

10 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

Reminds me off Josh Edwards when he first broke through boy was a good threat going forward but couldn’t defend for his life

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I got into a ‘discussion’ about this on the Facebook group where it was implied I’d have been happy to sign journeymen. You don’t need to sign journeymen or jobbers. But every squad literally just needs players they can trust to bring on off the bench who can maybe a change a game. We don’t have that at all. No harm to them but neither ATS or McMaster are going to positively influence the game from the bench. And having a bunch of kids on the bench who are never going to come on is a joke. Take last season - neither Jordan Allan or Salim were good enough to start for us. But they both won us 4 points from the bench with their late goals v Dumbarton. Look at Afolabi’s impact in the play-offs. Gabby won a point or two off the bench also? As did Leighton McIntosh for Cove. We don’t have anybody who can do that for us and it’s entirely of McCabe’s doing. Salim could still be on our bench right now… 

I think that’s the main issue. Nobody is expecting three or four starting quality players to suddenly appear, we just literally have no options to change a game. To only have McMaster or ATS as a senior option on the bench when your only injured outfield players are Frizzell and McGill is embarrassing. They’re not going to win you promotion on their own but what I’d give for a few Craig Thomson, Jordan Allan, Euan O’Reilly type players just now.

7 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Not sure if any game yet could be season defining, or even the ones before the new year, other teams will definitely drop points too. The league is that bonkers that if we went on a run we'd be right up there at the top end of the table. After the Montrose performance and with the right tactics applied I think McCabe can make a success of this, but he had to realise that with the players at our disposal, we have to be more solid and less open. That's what will win us the points as scoring goals isn't an issue. If he doesn't address this then we will experience similar to Saturday. I think the board will give McCabe till the end of the season unless we are in any danger of getting relegated. I'd be all for Scott Agnew coming back in as like a 'Head Coach'. He would be someone who is well liked by the players, someone familiar to the majority of the squad and someone who can give the management team a different perspective from watching the game on the sidelines. Don't think Murray would of taken him to Raith as his assistant for no reason.

We don’t have the consistency to make up any sort of ground that isn’t at most 6 points. Is the gap between us and the play-offs going to be that or less come January 3rd? No IMO. A complete waste of this team’s talent and potential keeping McCabe in charge. Agreed on that he needs to make us less open. But he’s been the manager for what, 6 months now? It’s not going to happen. 

Had a listen to the OTL podcast this morning and think they put the current finger-gate situation perfectly. 

Quite interesting that the club have never been willing to come on the podcast and give fans a boardroom insight. 

It’s quite disheartening that we pay our money every week, buy the kits, buy the pies and pay for DTV+ but we can’t get a 2 minute interview with some club representatives. Can’t see the benefits of shying away from those who financially support you. Disheartening.