The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

In a sod's law situation I couldn't make it along yesterday and after weeks of dreck I miss a 4-0! Just watching the highlights of the goals there and that first goal is a perfect example of the elegant simplicity to football at times, killer ball, killer touch, killer finish, 5 seconds, 70 odd meters. Done. 

Not just the first goal, 3 goals from long balls/passes and 1 from a set-piece. It shows there is no right way to play and an insistence on playing slow, possession based football from the back is just not necessary a lot of the time. I'm not advocating going long all the time but yesterday was a great mix of both. To give your better players space and time on the ball the opposition have to know you are willing to go direct which makes them reluctant to press. Also, one thing defenders at this level hate is being turned and having to run back to their own goal, whereas sitting on their 18 yard line watching you pass the ball about is exactly what they want. I'm encouraged there seems to be an acknowledgement from the management team that there's a need for variety rather than the slow, ponderous and stubborn 'playing the right way' attitude we saw in previous games this season.

On 29/10/2022 at 20:04, David Fernández said:

I feel so bad for criticising Lewis Jamieson, but it is for the reason that he's capable of performing like that. He needs to be played through the middle, one of tbe best individual performances I've seen for a while. I'm delighted to be wrong and eating humble pie.

I said weeks ago that I was losing patience with him but would give him a go in a 2 upfront. He’s definitely not a wide player.

I’m sure you Airdrie fans are realising this but from his time at Clyde, Jamieson can be frustrating. He moans a lot and his overall game needs a fair bit of work but, when presented with a chance, boy can he finish! Absolutely loves a goal against Montrose too.

34 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I’m sure you Airdrie fans are realising this but from his time at Clyde, Jamieson can be frustrating. He moans a lot and his overall game needs a fair bit of work but, when presented with a chance, boy can he finish! Absolutely loves a goal against Montrose too.

I think yesterday was his first game starting as our main striker, so far he’s mostly been used out on the right, albeit playing in a fairly advanced role. He has the pace and quick feet to do a job there but he looked a completely different player through the middle on Saturday. As you say, he’s far from the finished article but he’s certainly a threat when he’s on form. I’m looking forward to seeing him running at McLean and Grant on Saturday.

54 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Frustrating doesn’t cover it. I thought he was very much a one trick pony particularly when he was out on the wings, would dart outside then cut back onto his left and he was very easily sussed out. Seems going through the middle suits him a bit better.

It has been noted, but you can see he has talent. Hopefully he can get that part of his game sorted and not let frustrations take over. He was terrific on Saturday.

Just when you start getting the feel good factor back with a 4-0 win, 11-1 reserve team victory and the young lad from Airdrie Fan TV releasing great content. You then get hit with this shambles.

Complete disgrace to ban the guy that runs the away team buses and one of the most loyal Airdrie Fans from home games for a daft silly mistake which was more funny than offensive.

Will completely alienate majority of our support at away games too, surely I'd like to think this will be overturned.

Board have lost the plot completely.

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Just when you start getting the feel good factor back with a 4-0 win, 11-1 reserve team victory and the young lad from Airdrie Fan TV releasing great content. You then get hit with this shambles.

Complete disgrace to ban the guy that runs the away team buses and one of the most loyal Airdrie Fans from home games for a daft silly mistake which was more funny than offensive.

Will completely alienate majority of our support at away games too, surely I'd like to think this will be overturned.

Is this for the guy flying the bird, behind a group of 8 year olds who were getting there photo taken pre match with the mascot for the day sitting in the Family Section..

I can see as a parent how this wasn't taken as being funny and the club ha've carried out an investigation  on the evidence provided by the parents....    

does the punishment fit the crime,   in this crazy world I am surprised he hasn't got 18 months...

Is this for the guy flying the bird, behind a group of 8 year olds who were getting there photo taken pre match with the mascot for the day sitting in the Family Section..
I can see as a parent how this wasn't taken as being funny and the club ha've carried out an investigation  on the evidence provided by the parents....    
does the punishment fit the crime,   in this crazy world I am surprised he hasn't got 18 months...

Yeah it's the very one, the guy made a mistake and in fairness to him he apologised and donated a bottle to the raffle. There's also been comments on the Facebook page of parents who's kids were in the photo that think it's a bit OTT.

I do agree with you I can see how it wasn't taken as funny but I do think the punishment is completely disproportionate. I don't think you can compare what Gary did to racial abuse or battering an opposition fan after a game.

I tagged Gary in the photo when it got posted as it was a laugh, he even posted on it saying he’d donate a bottle to diamonds in the community charity.

Gary has probably done more for Airdrie fans over the years than the board and is constantly trying to drum up support for the away games despite all the frustrations he’s having with trying to get bus companies booked. Also the sponsorship he Has given to the club and also the girls team.

Crazy crazy decision especially when much worse things get shouted/chanted during the games.

Shambles.

41 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

I tagged Gary in the photo when it got posted as it was a laugh, he even posted on it saying he’d donate a bottle to diamonds in the community charity.

Gary has probably done more for Airdrie fans over the years than the board and is constantly trying to drum up support for the away games despite all the frustrations he’s having with trying to get bus companies booked. Also the sponsorship he Has given to the club and also the girls team.

Crazy crazy decision especially when much worse things get shouted/chanted during the games.

Shambles.

Before last weeks result, getting banned would have been a first prize, sign of times with every one trying to get into match on a sat, got to try and free up seats, silly daft moment no more, 

I always have and still remain suspicious of PH. Gary has been running the bus for 20 years and I’d be pretty certain he’s out of pocket and to be treated like this highlights how out of touch PH is with the fans. He’s obviously a successful businessman but football is not normal business!

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I always have and still remain suspicious of PH. Gary has been running the bus for 20 years and I’d be pretty certain he’s out of pocket and to be treated like this highlights how out of touch PH is with the fans. He’s obviously a successful businessman but football is not normal business!

I don't know Gary personally but I've written to the club as a season ticket holder to ask them to reconsider their decision as the punishment given out for what was in essence an adult carrying out a childish prank for which they have subsequently apologised is way, way over the top.

Edited by Caro-Kann