The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

21 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Listening to the pre match interviews it says that Gabby McGill is in crutches so could be out for a bit. I think it would be good to see ATS play in the back 3 and have Dycey instructing things from the dugout on Saturday, wasn't at the Edinburgh game but based on what posters have been saying he was poor.

Centre Midfield pairing of Devenney and Telfer doesn't fill me with much confidence either without any type of defensive midfielder next to them that midfield could get easily overrun.

It would be a terrific result if we are able to get a victory from this, bet on Montrose and BTTS at 11/2 so hopefully that bites myself on the ar*e and we can get 3 points and start kicking on.

Its one for us o go back to basics,  McCabe moving to defence has done nothing really except open glaring holes  in midfield,  with Ballantyne back I would  settle for this side..

Lyness .

Ballantyne.     Watson ...    Fordyce.....  ATS.....   

Telfer .      McCabe........   j Deveney

Jamieson....   Gall........    Smih...

subs...Devenney,      McMaster

Not much else we can do , hopefully we can all sit in our usual seats again after he QOS debacle

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Its one for us o go back to basics,  McCabe moving to defence has done nothing really except open glaring holes  in midfield,  with Ballantyne back I would  settle for this side..

Lyness .

Ballantyne.     Watson ...    Fordyce.....  ATS.....   

Telfer .      McCabe........   j Deveney

Jamieson....   Gall........    Smih...

subs...Devenney,      McMaster

Not much else we can do , hopefully we can all sit in our usual seats again after he QOS debacle

Nice to able to play with 3 upfront, prefer to try and  strengthen the midfield if poss, maybe Devenney in midfield, Jamieson on the bench, workers we  need against Montrose, Not easy being so short of players at this time of the season, 

How about

Lyness

Ballantyne        Watson       Fordyce     ATS         Devenney

Telfer            McCabe            Deveney

Gal                    Smith

With McCabe sitting in front of the back three to stop the shots from outside the box and ping his passes. Telfer and Deveney in front of him making nice little triangles for short passes moving forward. Devenney driving forward with ATS covering behind as required. Watson Fordyce ATS strong at corners and free kicks. Ballantyne and Smith driving into the box and Gal with tap ins. Watson can make his driving runs forward through the middle with cover behind. This leaves Jamieson to come on as impact sub.

This plays to the strengths of the players we have going forward while addressing the defensive issues that have been costing us goals and would give us back control of the mid field.

I think that was arguably our best performance of the season, certainly in the league anyway. Solid at the back (bar a couple of standard dodgy moments), very compact in midfield, very quick transitions and clinical in the box. So much better to watch than endless slow passes between the defence and McCabe.

Jamieson and Gallagher worked well up front. Gallagher played a lot deeper than usual but he linked play well and I think even got two assists, which must be a rarity for him. Montrose couldn’t cope with Jamieson’s pace and trickery, he looks much better through the middle. 

If you’d told me before the game we’d have a central midfield of just Telfer and McCabe I’d have been very concerned but having Devenny and Smith tucking in worked well and stopped Montrose exploiting big gaps between the defence and midfield as we’ve seen all season. 

The back four generally worked well too. Fordyce was much more aggressive today and while he had a couple of dodgy moments through a lack of concentration, I thought Deveney was excellent defensively. He won his battles and was strong throughout. ATS has been fine but I think I prefer Deveney in there. 

An easier month on paper coming up and one that we need to make the most of. If we play like we did the last few weeks then we’ll struggle but if we keep up today’s compactness, intensity and speed then there’s no reason why we can’t take maximum points.

My prediction thankfully was wrong and it was a pleasure to score first as that is so crucial . Clearly went for a hard working middle four where Telfer looked so much more involved. The clever passes, and not hoof ball, beyond their back four, worked with the pace of LJ. I have described him as light weight but that front line role worked today. Given also Gallagher's leading of the line it was a delight to get such good goals. 

Felt it was bizzare that Petrie kept that same back 4 and our 4th was clever from LJ but criminal from them. Liked how Euan stuck to his game and never became under threat.

McCabe and Fordyce were so much more confident and energetic which is what we have been missing.

Quite a few around me never noticed Gardyne going off and in many ways we stopped the ball in behind as we kept so much possession. A few daft moments especially when we do the passing back stuff, but a great result.

Montrose did look very vulnerable to our pace which surprised me given the last game, and it was a delight to see Petrie make wild substitutions and get a yellow card. 

Next few games are indeed winnable if we apply the same drive and pace. 

Happy curry takeaway now devoured.

Brilliant and much needed and improved performance and result. That was a massive game for us. If we’d lost we’d have been 9 points off the play-offs, which even at this stage is a hell of a gap to makeup. But we’re 4 points off now and well in it as a result. Fair play to McCabe and Fordyce. First real signs of improvement shown in the squad and management team in weeks. 

I thought we were set up well. Still too open at times but in general we were tighter and more compact and played with a good intensity going forward. Fordyce had his best game all season and Euan Deveney did very well overall and against a decent winger in Blair Lyons. Telfer worked harder and was generally involved a lot more. A bit slow on the ball at times but he didn’t waste many passes. And special mention to Jamieson. A well taken hat-trick - the first one in particular was a peach - and he could have had more. Sean Dillon and the Montrose defence just couldn’t handle him and his pace all game and he’s clearly substantially more effective through the middle than playing out wide. Looking forward to watching the highlights back and especially our first goal. 

Still think that squad is far too small. We got away with it today and hopefully we can hold out with the squad as is until January. But having McMaster and ATS as the only two players who have any chance of coming on just isn’t good enough. Hopefully Frizzell and Gabby will be back soon enough too. 

Always enjoy beating Montrose 😉♦️🍺

47 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I feel so bad for criticising Lewis Jamieson, but it is for the reason that he's capable of performing like that. He needs to be played through the middle, one of tbe best individual performances I've seen for a while. I'm delighted to be wrong and eating humble pie.

Aye he played well, as did the team, I had him on the bench, that's football and Airdrie for you, 

Smith playing deeper in midfield probably negates some of his talent, but it made the team better as a whole. Jamieson and Gallagher worked well as a strike partnership so I’d be more than happy to see us continue with this shape (might even be worth keeping Smith deeper when Frizzell returns, with Frizz directly replacing Devenny). Best I’ve seen Telfer play since the Clyde game and I’d say I was happier with his performance yesterday because Clyde just sat off him and let him play the game at his own pace.

The small squad is still a worry, and it’s a bit annoying that we’ve had two 4-0 wins, and a 5-0 win but are still in the position we’re in. If we can get ourselves in the top 4 for January I’ll be happy, and players NEED to be signed in January. We were miles off it in the covid season before signing Turner and ended up 2 points off top and losing playoff finalists. If we’re within touching distance of the top teams come January anything can happen.

On 26/10/2022 at 14:08, Mr November said:

With McGill out we do need a forward, so just put him on the bench. If we’re going to be rubbish and lose games we may as well make it entertaining.

Back to the subject of sticking Bright Okosun on the bench, or even some of the other boys from the development squad I spoke yesterday with someone who knows about these things who provided some info.

The laddies are in the advanced youth under 18's League which is essentially the 4th tier of the Performance levels. Due to this and their ages the contracts they have signed are not sufficient to be registered to play at 1st team level however some have, since turning 17, been registered to play but this can't take effect until the next open transfer window. Bright had been considered for the squad recently but had fallen foul of this ruling.

There are definitely parts of the above which I have butchered but it's something like that. Essentially it's to do with their ages, contracts and uefa rules about being registered to play. Several of the laddies have been training occasionally with the first team.

25 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Smith playing deeper in midfield probably negates some of his talent, but it made the team better as a whole. Jamieson and Gallagher worked well as a strike partnership so I’d be more than happy to see us continue with this shape (might even be worth keeping Smith deeper when Frizzell returns, with Frizz directly replacing Devenny). 

Smith did play well yesterday and probably because of his work rate in every other game you don't really notice that he's starting deeper. He still managed to get into some good goal scoring positions yesterday and had that been the fully confident Smith of the end of last season he'd have buried them. But he still works tirelessly for the team and if he continued to get chances I'm confident he'll get back amongst the goals too.

In a sod's law situation I couldn't make it along yesterday and after weeks of dreck I miss a 4-0! Just watching the highlights of the goals there and that first goal is a perfect example of the elegant simplicity to football at times, killer ball, killer touch, killer finish, 5 seconds, 70 odd meters. Done. 

This Airdrie side are either sugar or shite,    First class team performance with the team in control for about 80 percent of the game, Montrose were very un Montrose like, seemed little team spirit and lack of pace throughout the side,

scoring first in this league is imperative, the last time we did that was the Clyde game,  we still have he same issues as in previous weeks when we have been leaking goals,   we managed 14 points in our pomp in the first quarter, I think with the games coming up a similar total may be achievable....I

Surprised at the crowd yesterday was fully expecting the loyal fans to stay away and moan about Telfer from afield,  certainly looked quieter than normal but according to SPFL website attendance was a decent (for us)_ 1115.....

Are we still looking for a chairman's statement or has that been put on the back burner for now.....

Delighted with the result yesterday but in the past month or so I questioned as to whether our management team had done t enough research on their opponents, particularly with Kelty and FC Edinburgh. 

It appeared to me that they concentrated solely on their own style of play without digging much deeper. Yesterday it appeared that they had spent a good deal of time looking at Montrose's weaknesses beforehand (probably with Cammy's help).

Whatever they did, worked a treat, especially moving LG to utilise his pace and leaving McMaster out.

Same team next week hopefully, but I hope they do the proper research on Clyde as they are not as much of a soft touch as many might think.

40 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

Delighted with the result yesterday but in the past month or so I questioned as to whether our management team had done t enough research on their opponents, particularly with Kelty and FC Edinburgh. 

It appeared to me that they concentrated solely on their own style of play without digging much deeper. Yesterday it appeared that they had spent a good deal of time looking at Montrose's weaknesses beforehand (probably with Cammy's help).

Whatever they did, worked a treat, especially moving LG to utilise his pace and leaving McMaster out.

Same team next week hopefully, but I hope they do the proper research on Clyde as they are not as much of a soft touch as many might think.

Oh no - we’ll make you work really hard for your easy win