The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

32 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Happy birthday to the GOAT. I will be really disappointed if he doesn't get a birthday tweet.15f0d0f3b0dd185afc9c35d4fd93a478.jpg704799389ed77cc3ba142ba4df06f48d.jpg

Have to give the man credit, that's outstanding.   Deffo need to get him on the u20s match reports. 

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

With McGill out we do need a forward, so just put him on the bench. If we’re going to be rubbish and lose games we may as well make it entertaining.

Would be great for entertainment as you say but unfortunately throwing a young laddie to the wolves of our support would be an horrendous error. I can still hear the 30 minutes worth of verbal abuse and diatribe directed to our (more experienced) goal keeper after his one error on Saturday when his clearing punch left a bit to be desired. The singling out of players for completely unnecessary abuse is something which some in our support revel in and I'm not sure why they think this is likely to motivate a player to do better. 

59 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Would be great for entertainment as you say but unfortunately throwing a young laddie to the wolves of our support would be an horrendous error. I can still hear the 30 minutes worth of verbal abuse and diatribe directed to our (more experienced) goal keeper after his one error on Saturday when his clearing punch left a bit to be desired. The singling out of players for completely unnecessary abuse is something which some in our support revel in and I'm not sure why they think this is likely to motivate a player to do better. 

Agree, i very rarely shout abuse at players. Going back many years, one of my first games in the Junior ranks was a pre-season friendly against Airdrie where we played 3 x 30 mins periods. That 2nd period the Airdrie side included Clark, McGuire, Flood, McCluskey & Tom McCafferty. I vowed then that i wouldn't shout abuse given how shiite i was and even though the standard of player was higher then!

18 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

19 hours ago, AJ77 said:

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1151139327?-35414:17927

Whilst we're on topic of the Goat, stumbled across this article this afternoon!

Thought we could have heard a bit more about him if he has had some outstanding performances, 

'Airdrie Fan TV' had no idea that was even a thing, couldn't imagine the poor boy having to interview us pie and bovrilers after a 4-0 pumping off Montrose, although it would be peak viewing for the rest of the division. Fair play to them however from trying something different to engage with the fans and the players.

9 hours ago, David Fernández said:

'Airdrie Fan TV' had no idea that was even a thing, couldn't imagine the poor boy having to interview us pie and bovrilers after a 4-0 pumping off Montrose, although it would be peak viewing for the rest of the division. Fair play to them however from trying something different to engage with the fans and the players.

What a club these bad fans again, 

With Ballantyne returning I imagine we’ll either line up with a back 3 with wing backs or see McCabe move back into midfield. My guess would be 3-4-3.

Lyness

Watson McCabe Fordyce

Ballantyne Telfer Devenny Deveney

Jamieson Gallagher Smith

That would leave ATS and McMaster on the bench, although I’d personally prefer to see ATS play over Fordyce on the left of the back 3 since he’s been on rotten form and that would let him manage the game from the bench. I think that central midfield duo would be quite reliant on their other teammates helping them out so as to not be overrun by Montrose, so would require the back 3 to take turns stepping up into midfield as well as the wing backs coming in a bit narrower and Smith doing his usual tracking back. It’s not exactly a lineup that fills me with confidence at the moment. Essentially what I’d be looking for is us not losing, Ballantyne lasting 90 minutes without getting sent off, no more injuries and a bit more defensive resilience and midfield control than we’ve seen in the last couple of months.

25 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

With Ballantyne returning I imagine we’ll either line up with a back 3 with wing backs or see McCabe move back into midfield. My guess would be 3-4-3.

Lyness

Watson McCabe Fordyce

Ballantyne Telfer Devenny Deveney

Jamieson Gallagher Smith

That would leave ATS and McMaster on the bench, although I’d personally prefer to see ATS play over Fordyce on the left of the back 3 since he’s been on rotten form and that would let him manage the game from the bench. I think that central midfield duo would be quite reliant on their other teammates helping them out so as to not be overrun by Montrose, so would require the back 3 to take turns stepping up into midfield as well as the wing backs coming in a bit narrower and Smith doing his usual tracking back. It’s not exactly a lineup that fills me with confidence at the moment. Essentially what I’d be looking for is us not losing, Ballantyne lasting 90 minutes without getting sent off, no more injuries and a bit more defensive resilience and midfield control than we’ve seen in the last couple of months.

Agree with all of this. I'd also drop Fordyce for ATS (imagine suggesting that in the summer!). As you say, I would worry about that midfield and while he'd be wasted in there, I wonder if Smith could play in there alongside them to add some work-rate and forward runs. It's not exactly a vintage team though and if we go a goal down, looking to a bench of ATS, McMaster and Cole Gibson is hardly inspiring. 

Listening to the pre match interviews it says that Gabby McGill is in crutches so could be out for a bit. I think it would be good to see ATS play in the back 3 and have Dycey instructing things from the dugout on Saturday, wasn't at the Edinburgh game but based on what posters have been saying he was poor.

Centre Midfield pairing of Devenney and Telfer doesn't fill me with much confidence either without any type of defensive midfielder next to them that midfield could get easily overrun.

It would be a terrific result if we are able to get a victory from this, bet on Montrose and BTTS at 11/2 so hopefully that bites myself on the ar*e and we can get 3 points and start kicking on.

9 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Listening to the pre match interviews it says that Gabby McGill is in crutches so could be out for a bit. I think it would be good to see ATS play in the back 3 and have Dycey instructing things from the dugout on Saturday, wasn't at the Edinburgh game but based on what posters have been saying he was poor.

Centre Midfield pairing of Devenney and Telfer doesn't fill me with much confidence either without any type of defensive midfielder next to them that midfield could get easily overrun.

It would be a terrific result if we are able to get a victory from this, bet on Montrose and BTTS at 11/2 so hopefully that bites myself on the ar*e and we can get 3 points and start kicking on.

Think Fordyce will be better on the park than playing manager, to be honest I  have never seen a set up like we have in all my days in or at football. 

19 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Betting on the opposition because it fecks up your coupon reeks of desperation. We've all done it.  Mon the Mighty Mo