The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

Have to agree with that. It does look like the board have budgeted for fourth place with the current personnel in place. I think that many of us seen Rae and Ballantyne come into the squad and presumed that their would be more signings of this quality, unfortunately not.

McCabe must hold his hands up however when we come to signings like the new Ally Roy (Jamieson) and the lack of physicality in midfield. I wont even mention Lyness.

To be honest Rae and Ballantyne haven't kicked their own arse yet,  ok Rae has been injured but surely jury is out on him and Ballantyne who came with a big pedigree hasn't done much,  to be honest here are numerous better right backs in the league than him  ..

Dean Lyness came in just before the QOS and was catching cross balls for fun, 2 weeks  training with Hutts instead of catching balls he has developed some weird 2 handed flap, which didn't end to well ....

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Right from the start the appointment that I never understood was Fordyce as Assistant Manager. I'm normally completely against unproven managers but on this occasion I could understand the thinking with McCabe to try to keep the squad together from last year, and despite the current form things may turn out okay. But making Fordyce Assistant just seemed totally pointless, what does he offer that McCabe isn't already given they are both on the park? Perhaps taking a more prominent role during training, but on match day surely he was already doing everything he currently is in his role as captain?

It looks to me appointing him as assistant would be a massive wage hike,  keeping it in the family...  Pointless appointment that has totally ruined a decent pro..

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This leaves us with Hutton and Prunty on the bench who have no authority to make any decisions, so you may as well have me or you on the sidelines as they are there to cheerlead. For me a proper 'support network' that the club promised would have been McCabe as Manager, a more senior (non-playing) Assistant Manager and having Fordyce as Captain.

Hutts and Prunty the water bottle throwers certainly have nothing to cheer about,    Hutts is,still stealing a wage as a player \ coach,  there is more chance of Roddy McKenzie getting a,game these days,    all these wages could have been put to better use getting players in...if money is indeed tight ..

Unfortunately there is very little we can do at the moment and we need to hang in until January transfer window. PH will be well aware that he's made a big blunder and will be planning to rectify at the moment. Hopefully it's not replacing Rhys.

There is no doubt that recruitment has been poor and Rhys is guilty on that one but to what extent? How many IM/PH signings were already in place before he was appointed?

I hope there are clauses where we can ditch our loanees in January and replace with better.

8 hours ago, Daddy Cheeze said:

Agree completely.If we're being serious about giving McCabe time this setup should have been in place from the start.

A couple more centre halfs and a midfielder that knows what a tackle and hustle looks like would be a bonus.

The issue on top of this is the lack of senior pros outwith McCabe and Fordyce. I think Watson, Telfer and Gal are the most senior players but they are only 27/28. The rest of the team are young guys learning the game. There is no leadership from the sidelines and not enough on the park. The question is whether McCabe didn't want anybody, whether there was no-one suitable, or whether there was no money for it.

53 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The issue on top of this is the lack of senior pros outwith McCabe and Fordyce. I think Watson, Telfer and Gal are the most senior players but they are only 27/28. The rest of the team are young guys learning the game. There is no leadership from the sidelines and not enough on the park. The question is whether McCabe didn't want anybody, whether there was no-one suitable, or whether there was no money for it.

Players and management should watch last nights Cup tie, who in our team could or would put that amount of effort into a game, and that's how to hit the target, put us to shame, 

Agree with comments on here about appointing both being a mistake by the board which to it’s credit hasn’t actually made too many. They stuck by IM when a lot of us were wavering and fully backed him, I don’t see them not doing the same here. January feels like forever away though so I fear the bumpy ride is going to continue and the damage will be done.

I think you either had to appoint Rhys and an experienced assistant or appoint an experienced manager and make Rhys assistant. This just isn’t working at all.

I think with Ian Murray there were evidence there was improvement each year he was in charge. The football in the first two seasons wasn't pretty but he did take us from a mid table league 1 side going nowhere to challenging for the title. So I can see why the board backed him, and I felt Ian Murray was harshly treated by supporters at games, and on the Facebook group.

Looking at the squad itself, most of the players were the same players that went on the 25 game unbeaten run in the league and I think the only one most of us would of really kept that we didn't manage to was Dylan Easton. So I disagree that we should lower expectation and we should not want to be up there challenging and settle for mid table.

Comparing the interviews, I thought Ian Murray spoke very clearly as a manager and most of the things he said, I generally agreed with, whereas recently with McCabe, what he's coming out with I feel I'm watching a completely different game to him.

As much as I really wanted this to work, I can't see it working now. There has to be a change. The team is capable of much more than they are producing at the moment and an experienced manager on the dugout would be the best thing, someone like Allan Johnston or Paul Hartley, that have experience of getting teams out of this league (only names I can really think of).

Rhys McCabe is an excellent leader and communicator on the park, but I'm not sure if he's cut out for management just yet, maybe in the future.

17 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I think with Ian Murray there were evidence there was improvement each year he was in charge. The football in the first two seasons wasn't pretty but he did take us from a mid table league 1 side going nowhere to challenging for the title. So I can see why the board backed him, and I felt Ian Murray was harshly treated by supporters at games, and on the Facebook group.

Looking at the squad itself, most of the players were the same players that went on the 25 game unbeaten run in the league and I think the only one most of us would of really kept that we didn't manage to was Dylan Easton. So I disagree that we should lower expectation and we should not want to be up there challenging and settle for mid table.

Comparing the interviews, I thought Ian Murray spoke very clearly as a manager and most of the things he said, I generally agreed with, whereas recently with McCabe, what he's coming out with I feel I'm watching a completely different game to him.

As much as I really wanted this to work, I can't see it working now. There has to be a change. The team is capable of much more than they are producing at the moment and an experienced manager on the dugout would be the best thing, someone like Allan Johnston or Paul Hartley, that have experience of getting teams out of this league (only names I can really think of).

Rhys McCabe is an excellent leader and communicator on the park, but I'm not sure if he's cut out for management just yet, maybe in the future.

May be wrong but did Ian  Murray  not have Fordyce as manager in front of McCabe, 

I think McCabe has been a bit fortunate that most of our awful performances have been away games. We don’t have a big support overall and tend to take pretty decent away supports but home form tends to be a better indicator for fans feelings on the whole. The Edinburgh shambles aside, people might look at our home results so far and think we’ve comfortably beaten Falkirk, Alloa and Clyde with a high scoring draw against Queen of the South and if you don’t attend away games it’s easy to not realise quite how bad things are.

I feel like most of Murray’s abuse came after home games. The many 1-0 home defeats in his first season, the Elgin and Montrose defeats in 2019, the 3-0 Montrose game on the opening day last season etc. were all games where Murray took a lot of stick and I’d argue a majority of fans wanted him gone. Worryingly Montrose seem to be a theme here, I remember thinking Findlay was done when we looked clueless and lost 1-0 to them on the second day in his last season, so that doesn’t bode well for Saturday!

51 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

May be wrong but did Ian  Murray  not have Fordyce as manager in front of McCabe, 

I think he would've, Fordyce helped Murray with a lot of the training as far as i was aware when he was here.

I’m not understanding why we’re not trying out our academy players? Surely they can’t be any worse than who’s playing week after week. Only player we have really saw a glimpse of was Gibson and he looked more composed and forward playing than the usual midfield 3. Anyone actually have any insight on what’s actually going on with the academy?

1 hour ago, airdrie_3 said:

I’m not understanding why we’re not trying out our academy players? Surely they can’t be any worse than who’s playing week after week. Only player we have really saw a glimpse of was Gibson and he looked more composed and forward playing than the usual midfield 3. Anyone actually have any insight on what’s actually going on with the academy?

Like most things at airdrie  fc not a clue 

3 hours ago, airdrie_3 said:

Cole Gibson showed to me he was nowhere near a first team place. He did show promise however and i liked the fact he'd a bit of aggression in him but the gap is huge from the level he's at. I'm not convinced at all about Gowser's squad, looks to be the same thing Tom Wotherspoon tried, and failed! 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

to be honest here are numerous better right backs in the league than him.

Yer arse. Was and still is the best right back in the league.

The problem is it’s going to take at least one party to say they were wrong, something that Airdrieonians hierarchy aren’t the best at. Takes the owner to say “made an arse of this” or Rhys to say “I’m not ready for this yet”. Can’t see either being forthcoming.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The problem is it’s going to take at least one party to say they were wrong, something that Airdrieonians hierarchy aren’t the best at. Takes the owner to say “made an arse of this” or Rhys to say “I’m not ready for this yet”. Can’t see either being forthcoming.

Will have our best R, B in the league back  on sat and Smith and Gal to be on target and we will  send Montrose up the road with nil points, hope ladies day doesn't distract our players, 

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Will have our best R, B in the league back  on sat and Smith and Gal to be on target and we will  send Montrose up the road with nil points, hope ladies day doesn't distract our players, 

I wonder how many will attend the ladies day? I think events for women supporters or things to attract them to games is a great idea but the  advertisement of getting ‘glammed up’ and the MotM  awarding prizes to the ‘best dressed ladies’ is very cringe and pretty anachronistic. 

I wonder how many will attend the ladies day? I think events for women supporters or things to attract them to games is a great idea but the  advertisement of getting ‘glammed up’ and the MotM  awarding prizes to the ‘best dressed ladies’ is very cringe and pretty anachronistic. 

Agree. Which is why I’ll be in the stand.

9 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I would like him to show it,   for the record Scott Taggart at Alloa is a far superior right back and defender 

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

I would like him to show it,   for the record Scott Taggart at Alloa is a far superior right back and defender 

Cammy Ballantyne at RB is the least of our problems, work rate and commitment unquestionable although does fly in to tackles therefore susceptible to the odd card! Lets hope he's had his last red this season.