The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We’re 4th top scorers in the league on 21, behind Alloa and Falkirk on 22 and Edinburgh on 24. The only teams that have conceded more than us are Peterhead and Clyde. Our forwards might not be clinical but they’re hardly my immediate worry. Gallagher is joint top scorer in the league.

I rest my case, great strikers as long as your all happy, 

28 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

I rest my case, great strikers as long as your all happy, 

Defence is bad, no question that, been unlucky with Rae, and then young Hibs lad had to go back, at the moment we would be aswell picking straws to see who gets the keepers Jersey, 

This is it.
The only saving grace would be in his Open Goal interview (which I be grudgingly watched) he said he committed to Airdrie for a few years and wanted to go into coaching anyway. So if he really is that committed, take a backwards step to being a player/coach and let’s get a manager in.
Albeit, it’s not like there’s an exciting list of out of work managers waiting for a call. Kettlewell has a good job now, who would’ve been my choice in the summer, Stuart Taylor was a speaker at hospitality the other week. Kevin Thomson is enjoying a Renaissance with the media now so he wouldn’t be an option, then it’s down to the old guard of Hughes, Hopkin, McKinnon… none of these names particularly scream out “this is what we need”. 
Totally at a loss as to how this transpires, now.

I think the only way forward is to bring someone in with experience, calling them director of football or whatever, to support McCabe. I presume he still thinks he’ll be able to turn things around and even if not won’t want to tarnish his coaching/managerial reputation at such a young age.
And if he doesn’t want to step down, we can’t sack him as it’d leave 12 (?) outfield players if he and Fordyce take the huff.
Who would have thought appointing a 29 year old (with no experience) as player manager, his cousin as player assistant manager, while having a squad of 18 (4 of whom are goalkeepers) and 2 cheerleaders as coaching support could go wrong?
However if he can get some help, who knows. Hopefully he can turn things round.

39 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

This is it.

The only saving grace would be in his Open Goal interview (which I be grudgingly watched) he said he committed to Airdrie for a few years and wanted to go into coaching anyway. So if he really is that committed, take a backwards step to being a player/coach and let’s get a manager in.

Albeit, it’s not like there’s an exciting list of out of work managers waiting for a call. Kettlewell has a good job now, who would’ve been my choice in the summer, Stuart Taylor was a speaker at hospitality the other week. Kevin Thomson is enjoying a Renaissance with the media now so he wouldn’t be an option, then it’s down to the old guard of Hughes, Hopkin, McKinnon… none of these names particularly scream out “this is what we need”. 

Totally at a loss as to how this transpires, now.

Stan has a decent pedigree as a coach but not a great track record as a manager so he could be ideal from the perspective of helping Rhys out as a coach and from the dugout while McCabe is still the ‘manager’ and in overall charge. 

Probably an unpopular shout but I’d bite your hand off for Hartley… 

Stan has a decent pedigree as a coach but not a great track record as a manager so he could be ideal from the perspective of helping Rhys out as a coach and from the dugout while McCabe is still the ‘manager’ and in overall charge. 

Hartley has experience of getting teams out of this league. I'd take him as well.

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
15 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Hartley has experience of getting teams out of this league. I'd take him as well.

He has a couple of failures on his CV but they seem to come when he goes a bit tonto in the transfer window and signs a load of players from the one country or level(s) of football (the English lower leagues at Falkirk and the Scottish lower leagues at Hartlepool). But of the available candidates unless somebody comes from out the blue I’d imagine he’d be the best. Got teams promoted from this league twice, League 2 and possibly the Championship with Dundee? Took them to the top 6 in the Premiership anyway. 

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:
1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Would be a good shout, 

15 hours ago, Afc88 said:

Minimum 10 points from the next 12 required before 2 massive games against Falkirk and dunfermline 

Alternatively, maximum 10 points from the next 12 games and massive games against Peterhead and Clyde…….all depends whether you’re a half full or a half empty kind a guy

Decent enough day out and our record against Dundee in modern times is oddly good. Remember beating them 4-0 and 7-0 at home and at least a couple of wins up at Dens, including a Bryan Prunty hat-trick. November is an easier month so one saving grace is we at least might be able to go up there with a bit of momentum, barring disaster. 

Would love to watch the game back with McCabe and Fordyce and see if they can say with a straight face that we're losing games because we’re not clinical enough. Take some responsibility for the clown car defending that’s costing us goals and points every week. It’s down to your own individual mistakes and being far too open which is down to either your coaching, tactics or both. 

I actually wouldn’t have Fordyce in my starting XI at the moment. He’s been that pathetically bad the entire season. Plus having somebody in the dugout who can see and influence the game from there and make decisions can surely only be a good thing. Only game we’ve won in the last month or so was against Clyde with McCabe in the dugout. 

Edited by airdrieman

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Would love to watch the game back with McCabe and Fordyce and see if they can say with a straight face that we're losing games because we’re not clinical enough. Take some responsibility for the clown car defending that’s costing us goals and points every week. It’s down to your own individual mistakes and being far too open which is down to either your coaching, tactics or both. 

I actually wouldn’t have Fordyce in my starting XI at the moment. He’s been that pathetically bad the entire season. Plus having somebody in the dugout who can see and influence the game from there and make decisions can surely only be a good thing. Only game we’ve won in the last month or so was against Clyde with McCabe in the dugout. 

Be alright if we could replace anyone of them, afraid we don't have the squad to allow one of them to be in dugout  

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Right from the start the appointment that I never understood was Fordyce as Assistant Manager. I'm normally completely against unproven managers but on this occasion I could understand the thinking with McCabe to try to keep the squad together from last year, and despite the current form things may turn out okay. But making Fordyce Assistant just seemed totally pointless, what does he offer that McCabe isn't already given they are both on the park? Perhaps taking a more prominent role during training, but on match day surely he was already doing everything he currently is in his role as captain?

This leaves us with Hutton and Prunty on the bench who have no authority to make any decisions, so you may as well have me or you on the sidelines as they are there to cheerlead. For me a proper 'support network' that the club promised would have been McCabe as Manager, a more senior (non-playing) Assistant Manager and having Fordyce as Captain.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

For me a proper 'support network' that the club promised would have been McCabe as Manager, a more senior (non-playing) Assistant Manager and having Fordyce as Captain.

Agree completely.If we're being serious about giving McCabe time this setup should have been in place from the start.

A couple more centre halfs and a midfielder that knows what a tackle and hustle looks like would be a bonus.

Edited by Daddy Cheeze
Sponge thumbs

31 minutes ago, Daddy Cheeze said:

Agree completely.If we're being serious about giving McCabe time this setup should have been in place from the start.

A couple more centre backs and a midfielder that knows what a tackle and hustle looks like would be a bonus.

Have to agree with that. It does look like the board have budgeted for fourth place with the current personnel in place. I think that many of us seen Rae and Ballantyne come into the squad and presumed that their would be more signings of this quality, unfortunately not.

McCabe must hold his hands up however when we come to signings like the new Ally Roy (Jamieson) and the lack of physicality in midfield. I wont even mention Lyness.