The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

From my point of view the game could have gone either way yesterday as Alloa are a decidedly mid table team. They also scored what are probably going to be their best goals of the season so I can't blame the defence too much. Trouble is, other sides like Edinburgh and QOS have noticed that we are weak in closing players down just in front of our box. This will have to be addressed before next week as you can be assured that Edinburgh will take advantage early on.

What really disappointed me yesterday was not the midfield or defence but the reluctance of our players to work their keeper and the fact that when they got a shot away it was woefully weak or missing the target. This I'm afraid is just basic stuff...we can't rely on Gallagher for a two yard tap in every game.

Airdrie in the league before signing Charlie Telfer - P6 W3 D2 L1

Airdrie in the league since signing Charlie Telfer (starting him every week) - P5 W1 D1 L3

You'd be better sticking one of your many goalkeepers in midfield than that impostor.

21 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Airdrie in the league before signing Charlie Telfer - P6 W3 D2 L1

Airdrie in the league since signing Charlie Telfer (starting him every week) - P5 W1 D1 L3

You'd be better sticking one of your many goalkeepers in midfield than that impostor.

David Hutton would certainly add some aggression in there to be fair.

Happy Sundays eh funny how your team can burst your full weekend yet you show them all the loyalty under the sun week after week. Would be nice to feel that loyalty mattered but we surely have some of the worst communication from our club that you’ll see. It’s no shock that fan numbers dwindle. 

I don’t want to single out any individual player for massive criticism  as in recent weeks I can find faults in most of them. I absolutely agree that Telfer hasn’t shown anywhere near what we expect but that midfield 3 yesterday didn’t have a chance. For me I would suggest he is tried further up the park cause there is no creativity. I believe there is a player in there.

My issue with the team is the total lack of balance and the formation doesn’t fit the personnel rite now. Don’t want to play arm chair manager and pretend I have all the answers but yesterday was glaringly obvious that the wide players were not able to impact the game in an attacking sense (I thought Smith worked tremendously hard and is probably my fav player) this clearly left Gallagher with nothing to feed off (again thought he worked hard and tracked back loads). The other obvious point as loads mentioned is the 3 in midfield being out muscled and overrun. Needed to either put an extra player in midfield or at least try to change the tactics. We continued to play the same way all game and it got us no where. 

Getting beat isn’t the end of the world when you at least see positives in a performance but let’s be honest other than the first 25 mins in the second half against Montrose we haven’t seen that intensity and passing play we watched in the first 5/6 games this season. QoS game maybe was an improvement and I’m being harsh but it’s like watching a completely different team from what we started with this season  

Charlie Telfer in a side when things are going well can be a decent player. In a side when things aren't going great he's practically a passenger, he's just not the type to roll the sleeves up and put a tackle in. All in all the general consensus is he has ability just doesn't show it often enough. As for ATS he was utter mince with us, a complete plodder, was very surprised when you signed him. 

A few reasons why Falkirk haven’t been promoted over the past few years:

Rookie manager [emoji3581]
Charlie Telfer playing in midfield [emoji3581]

I’d add ATS but he seems to have done well for you based on what you’ve said. But not many clean sheets with him there.

You’re in a horrible situation with that thin squad and you want to change the manager and assistant, that’s another two players gone.

Of course despite all this you’ll no doubt beat us as is tradition in League One.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Was just thinking this very much feels like we’re Falkirk now. We’re one disastrous Q&A away from taking the mantle of League One’s Banter Club.

Aye all the posts that have ripped Falkirk  are coming back to haunt, manager needing to give Doddie a call, if a man can help it could be him, aye a know he is getting older but will have forgotten more about managing football than a lot of manager at present will know about being a manager, 

A big worry for me is that if we don’t even challenge for promotion this season it’s hard to see the likes of Smith of Frizzell sticking around for another season, which means we’ll basically be back to square one next summer. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Smith is sold for a small fee in January if that’s something Raith Rovers would be able to do. Murray’s clearly a big fan of Smith and he stays in Cowdenbeath so it seems inevitable that he’ll end up there if we’re destined to stay in League One forever.

A big worry for me is that if we don’t even challenge for promotion this season it’s hard to see the likes of Smith of Frizzell sticking around for another season, which means we’ll basically be back to square one next summer. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Smith is sold for a small fee in January if that’s something Raith Rovers would be able to do. Murray’s clearly a big fan of Smith and he stays in Cowdenbeath so it seems inevitable that he’ll end up there if we’re destined to stay in League One forever.

Murray would need to still be at raith come Christmas. Don’t think he’s too popular…

18 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

You’d assume the main reason for appointing McCabe and Fordyce was to try and keep some continuity with what we’ve steadily built up over the last few years but yeah, we’re only ever one bad season away from all of that disappearing. A full rebuild in what would undoubtedly be another very competitive League One would be far from ideal. Frizzell and Smith are certainly capable of playing in the league above and we’re probably fortunate that Smith signed a two year deal when he joined, as I’m sure Raith and other Championship teams would have been in for him this summer.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

You’d assume the main reason for appointing McCabe and Fordyce was to try and keep some continuity with what we’ve steadily built up over the last few years but yeah, we’re only ever one bad season away from all of that disappearing. A full rebuild in what would undoubtedly be another very competitive League One would be far from ideal. Frizzell and Smith are certainly capable of playing in the league above and we’re probably fortunate that Smith signed a two year deal when he joined, as I’m sure Raith and other Championship teams would have been in for him this summer.

Don't think teams would be in a rush to buy any of our players  that played yesterday, not up the way anyway, 

22 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

From my point of view the game could have gone either way yesterday as Alloa are a decidedly mid table team. They also scored what are probably going to be their best goals of the season so I can't blame the defence too much. Trouble is, other sides like Edinburgh and QOS have noticed that we are weak in closing players down just in front of our box. This will have to be addressed before next week as you can be assured that Edinburgh will take advantage early on.

What really disappointed me yesterday was not the midfield or defence but the reluctance of our players to work their keeper and the fact that when they got a shot away it was woefully weak or missing the target. This I'm afraid is just basic stuff...we can't rely on Gallagher for a two yard tap in every game.

I'd disagree with that, as you point out both goals were 'more of the same' in terms of the goals we've been losing in recent games - cheap crosses into the box and long range strikes. Cochrane of Queens also scored his goal of the season against us, as did Milne at Montrose, Saturday was the third game in a row. If you give players time and space 20-25 yards out repeatedly then you don't get to throw your hands up and say 'what can you do?' when one inevitably flies into the net.

I agree that they were both great finishes and if we didn't normally concede goals like that I'd be willing to overlook them more, but both were exactly the type of goal we've been conceding recently.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

18 hours ago, Mr November said:

Think the main reason for appointment would be to save money. That's how I read it anyhow, 

I think McCabe probably got my general backing until the end of the month but if we’ve taken zero from Edinburgh and Montrose (really need at least 4 points IMO) then something has to change. 

I’ve seen the board getting it tight from some folk but for me, other than blaming them for the initial appointment, I think where we are really is down to McCabe and the decisions he’s made. In terms of the squad I’ve said it before but you don’t sign Rae, Ballantyne, Telfer, Lyness, ATS and retain the likes of Frizzell unless there’s money there. Bear in mind there was clearly money left in the pot to sign ATS, Telfer and Lyness. Would you have been better off signing 2-3 other players with the time and money it took to sign Telfer? Maybe. But that’s down to McCabe not the board. He was very clear about the type of player he wanted and what that meant for the squad size. I do generally agree with him about quality v quantity but you have to get the most out of your players in that instance and he isn’t at the moment. Again that’s down to him. Likewise being so open and easy to beat. 

In terms of not having an experienced assistant it’s hard to blame the board without knowing what was pitched to McCabe or what he asked for. Did he ask for one and they said no? Was his first choice always Fordyce? Would he say no if somebody became available? Whatever the case he wasn’t obligated to take the job with or without an experienced assistant. If he’s big enough to take the job then, he has to be big enough to deal with any problems or consequences. Especially as they would appear to be mostly of his doing. We’ve seen how well we can play when things are going right. We’re capable of beating any team in this league IMO and we’ve already dished out a few pumpings and could well do a few more times. But we’re in a bad way at the moment and he has to fix that and quickly.

I think McCabe probably got my general backing until the end of the month but if we’ve taken zero from Edinburgh and Montrose (really need at least 4 points IMO) then something has to change. 
I’ve seen the board getting it tight from some folk but for me, other than blaming them for the initial appointment, I think where we are really is down to McCabe and the decisions he’s made. In terms of the squad I’ve said it before but you don’t sign Rae, Ballantyne, Telfer, Lyness, ATS and retain the likes of Frizzell unless there’s money there. Bear in mind there was clearly money left in the pot to sign ATS, Telfer and Lyness. Would you have been better off signing 2-3 other players with the time and money it took to sign Telfer? Maybe. But that’s down to McCabe not the board. He was very clear about the type of player he wanted and what that meant for the squad size. I do generally agree with him about quality v quantity but you have to get the most out of your players in that instance and he isn’t at the moment. Again that’s down to him. Likewise being so open and easy to beat. 
In terms of not having an experienced assistant it’s hard to blame the board without knowing what was pitched to McCabe or what he asked for. Did he ask for one and they said no? Was his first choice always Fordyce? Would he say no if somebody became available? Whatever the case he wasn’t obligated to take the job with or without an experienced assistant. If he’s big enough to take the job then, he has to be big enough to deal with any problems or consequences. Especially as they would appear to be mostly of his doing. We’ve seen how well we can play when things are going right. We’re capable of beating any team in this league IMO and we’ve already dished out a few pumpings and could well do a few more times. But we’re in a bad way at the moment and he has to fix that and quickly.
Problem with the player/assistant scenario is that we can't afford to get shot of McCabe and Fordyce due to how small the squad is at the moment. I do agree with you if we lose to both Edinburgh and Montrose I think something had to change. Would an experienced manager coming in someone like Paul Hartley for instance, mean that it would cause unrest in the dressing room it's a difficult one and there is no easy fix.

On 16/10/2022 at 13:54, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Was just thinking this very much feels like we’re Falkirk now. We’re one disastrous Q&A away from taking the mantle of League One’s Banter Club.

Leigh Griffiths is still looking for a club…

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:
2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Problem with the player/assistant scenario is that we can't afford to get shot of McCabe and Fordyce due to how small the squad is at the moment. I do agree with you if we lose to both Edinburgh and Montrose I think something had to change. Would an experienced manager coming in someone like Paul Hartley for instance, mean that it would cause unrest in the dressing room it's a difficult one and there is no easy fix.

Ultimately, the club and McCabe and Fordyce must have known what the consequences would be if things didn’t work out. I certainly wouldn’t be getting shot of them as players but Fordyce especially looks like he would benefit from being unburdened from the assistant manager’s job. People in other fields of work move around or up and down departments/corporate or management structures all the time. If we need to bring in a manager to work above them because they’re not up to it then so be it. They’ll just have to swallow their pride and contribute as players rather than the management team. It’s their responsibility ultimately and I’m sure they understand this. 

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:
3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Would take a weight off  McCabe, and get Fordyce back to the player he was, good thing in my opinion,