The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Honestly, if we’re getting a share of the gate money I’m absolutely fine with us advertising it. My only issue is that we’ve heard so little about our own academy. Would be nice if we had a full squad list or match reports on their games so we know how they’re getting on. A designated twitter account for the academy would be good and could provide updates on players, matches etc.

By we, is that the stadium company? Let them advertise it. Assuming it’s not going into Airdrie’s pockets.

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

This isn't great, is it?

I really don't see what the issue is.

The stadium and football club are 2 separate business which just happen to be owned by the same guy, one is profitable and the other isn't. It's hugely important that the profitable one continues to be so and I'm sure today's game is.                Cast your mind back to when Jim Ballantyne was complaining about the extortionate rates the stadium company were charging the club and what a wrong un the stadium owner was.

11 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Nah they can f**k off. If they want folk to turn up get Celtic to advertise it. Enough folk in Airdrie going to watch Celtic (and Rangers) as it is. 

Aye, would be good if they could  update us on our own  academy team, heard enough at start of season when signing players for it, something  just not right about the place so secret about anything, showing on the park aswell  1 win, notice a good win for Kelty over Queens last night, must be great to be able to beat them , 

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

And to think I’ve heard groans about too many long balls at recent games

Going by our results we maybe need to try it more, takes good players to play out from the back, unfortunately wing backs and 3 forwards don't go together, not at airdrie anyway, 

37 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Don't see a Friday night kick off in Montrose being much more attractive than a Saturday afternoon on Christmas Eve. Who the f**k thought this was a good idea?

Screenshot_20221013-162155.png

Montrose presumably?

Xmas Eve is notoriously the worst attended games of the season. People do last minute shopping and don't want to be traveling back from away games as Santa's on his way. Families tend to flock together for Xmas and are often away from home. Half the League has moved their Xmas Eve game to the Friday already.

38 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Don't see a Friday night kick off in Montrose being much more attractive than a Saturday afternoon on Christmas Eve. Who the f**k thought this was a good idea?

Screenshot_20221013-162155.png

The players and staff who would not get back to Airdrie untill about 9pm will be deilighted to spent Christmas eve with their families however.

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

The players and staff who would not get back to Airdrie untill about 9pm will be deilighted to spent Christmas eve with their families however.

So you have to then ask yourself what is the point in having games on over the festive period.

Before I retired I would have to work backshift and nightshifts on Christmas Eve, some people still do so why are footballers who are being paid to do the job any different? And for the part time players in the squad it's another day which they will have to get time off work to travel.

Why not go the whole hog and just completely scrap matches at Christmas and New year if we're worried about inconveniencing players?

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Predictive text and sausage fingers combo

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Montrose presumably?

Xmas Eve is notoriously the worst attended games of the season. People do last minute shopping and don't want to be traveling back from away games as Santa's on his way. Families tend to flock together for Xmas and are often away from home. Half the League has moved their Xmas Eve game to the Friday already.

Do they think the Friday night before Christmas is going to be any better? It's the usual no consideration whatsoever given to those who would travel.

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Do they think the Friday night before Christmas is going to be any better? It's the usual no consideration whatsoever given to those who would travel.

Well I'd presume they do, especially given they can then also stream it. Or they wouldnt have asked for it to be moved. Given half the SPFL are doing the same it seems many clubs think it will be better. 

58 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Fordyce, McCabe, Ballantyne, Frizzel and Rae all out tomorrow.

Frizz and Rae expected to be out for another 6-8 weeks. 

Could be a grim looking starting 11 tomorrow.

You’ve just read it wrong thankfully. “Fordyce and McCabe have personnel issues to deal with”. Just meaning as they’re the manager and assistant. They’ll both be available. 

13 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

You’ve just read it wrong thankfully. “Fordyce and McCabe have personnel issues to deal with”. Just meaning as they’re the manager and assistant. They’ll both be available. 

If Fordyce and McCabe were out as well as those three we’d be down to 10 senior outfield players so that’s just as well. Guarantee at some point this season we’ll have to finish a game with 10 men due to an injury after we’ve only made one or two subs.

23 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Haha my bad, panic over! Must wear glasses when reading the match preview lol

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Fordyce, McCabe, Ballantyne, Frizzel and Rae all out tomorrow.

Frizz and Rae expected to be out for another 6-8 weeks. 

Could be a grim looking starting 11 tomorrow.

I know it’s not quite as bad as that but how would the team actually look in this situation, something like this?

Lyness
McMaster - Watson - ATS - Deveney
Telfer - Devenny
McGill - Jamieson - Smith
Gallagher

It would be a good laugh at least. It goes to show how important keeping our key players fit will be this season, as we got very lucky with that last season.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I know it’s not quite as bad as that but how would the team actually look in this situation, something like this?

Lyness
McMaster - Watson - ATS - Deveney
Telfer - Devenny
McGill - Jamieson - Smith
Gallagher

It would be a good laugh at least. It goes to show how important keeping our key players fit will be this season, as we got very lucky with that last season.

No need to worry Manager and cousin will sort it out, 

Couldn't see a match thread for tomorrow so will stick this is here if anyone fancies a listen prior to tomorrow's game.

Preview of tomorrow starts from about 20 minutes in to this weeks episode, and a big thanks to @AndyDD for joining us again to get some Airdrie perspective!

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com