The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Enjoyed that today from an entertainment perspective but our openness and inability to defend is going to kill us. They’re not the first opposition to do so, but every time QoS came into our half they looked like they were going to score. That’s simply not sustainable and it’s alarming how more or less the same defensive unit + the best right-back in the league in Ballantyne have regressed so badly from last season. It was unreal the amount of times their players picked up the ball in acres of space in the middle of the park, down the flanks or on the edge of the box. It’s a wonder they didn’t actually try more long-range shots because they’d have had plenty of time and space to pick their spot. I was lucky enough to be in hospitality today and McCabe said in the bar after the game he was raging that we’ve lost 7 goals in two games and at how soft they were. Me too brother! At least he’s acknowledged it’s not good enough and we know he’ll work hard to fix it. I’m not sure there’s much he can do in terms of personnel currently but the defenders we have should be and are good enough at this level. Ultimately, he may just have to compromise his principles somewhat if it’s going to make us more difficult to beat. That being said some of the goals from an individual perspective are also far too soft. 

But, I thought overall the performance was far and away better than Kelty last week (and presumably the Montrose and Alloa games too). We played some lovely stuff at times and the goals were all excellent. When we put it all together we really are a cracking side to watch and capable of beating anyone. Still confident of doing well and having a successful season under McCabe. We just need to get a bit of solidity about the side ASAP. 

Home kit is still a disgrace. 

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Unless he is back to get his fitness up to standard,    Jamieson and McMaster still play with St Mirre n B as well excluding Saturday's obviously..

They’ll play outside the pyramid structure though won’t they? Would be surprised if you could play for a parent club/B side and a loan club within the same pyramid set-up at the same time. Admittedly being a B side and playing outside the SPFL in the Lowland League blurs the lines a wee bit. 

17 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

They’ll play outside the pyramid structure though won’t they? Would be surprised if you could play for a parent club/B side and a loan club within the same pyramid set-up at the same time. Admittedly being a B side and playing outside the SPFL in the Lowland League blurs the lines a wee bit. 

If Celtic can take Wylie back from his loan before it's expiry then surely we can recall Sal from Stranraer If we need to......   

I'm sure Scott McGill played in the challenge Cup for Hearts B team whilst on loan here. But that was a game during the week when Airdrie weren't playing. Whereas Ben Wylie being on the bench for a Lowland league game on a Saturday was weird. Considering he's on loan at ourselves.

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

The development squad are playing at 1.30pm tomorrow against Falkirk in Airdrie and it is free entry. I wish the club would promote this to encourage more folk to come along. But I'd like to see an update of how they are doing. Cole Gibson done really well in the Cup games.

Does anyone know what kind of results we have had? Who are the stand outs etc?

Their results are uploaded on the Club Academy Scotland section of the SFA website although as far as I can see they must have only played a couple of league games so far. They played Livi in the cup and I think they played Killie in a friendly although no idea what the scores were. Doesn’t give you any squad or scorer details. 

Edited by airdrieman

8 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
32 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I'm sure Scott McGill played in the challenge Cup for Hearts B team whilst on loan here. But that was a game during the week when Airdrie weren't playing. Whereas Ben Wylie being on the bench for a Lowland league game on a Saturday was weird. Considering he's on loan at ourselves.

I would think the rules for a loan player being able to play in the Challenge Cup and a league game would be different but I could be wrong. 

12 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I would think the rules for a loan player being able to play in the Challenge Cup and a league game would be different but I could be wrong. 

Surely if anything the challenge cup would be more awkward? The player would be cup-tied as both Airdrie and the relevant B team compete in that competition.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

If Celtic can take Wylie back from his loan before it's expiry then surely we can recall Sal from Stranraer If we need to......   

ANY club can cancel any loan outside a window if they want, just that the player cannot then feature for their 1st team till the next window opens, something that is unlikely to bother Celtic in relation to Ben Wylie. The player can play for age level teams though.

You can cancel Salim's loan tomorrow if you like but he still wouldnt be eligible to play for your 1st team till Jan 1st.

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:
2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Loan players can always be recalled to play in age level and 2nd string games (not sure how thst works in relation to the Colt sides in the Lowland League right enough). In theory 1st call lies with the 1st team side so in theory if player is on loan to you and Airdrie and Celtic B have games same day, Airdrie decide who he plays for. In practice though his employers will. 1st time you dont comply with Celtic's wishes they'd cancel the loan and you could forget getting anyone else either. 

All irrelevant though as Wylie appears not to be on loan to you any longer.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

the best right-back in the league in Ballantyne have regressed so badly from last season.

But we played him left back today. Just like last season until Brody Paterson came in we need a left back. Rhys wants to play the high press with the 2 wide players bombing forward but ATS isn't mobile enough and Deveney doesn't look anywhere near good enough.

Edited by Kenny_m

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Enjoyed that today from an entertainment perspective but our openness and inability to defend is going to kill us. They’re not the first opposition to do so, but every time QoS came into our half they looked like they were going to score. That’s simply not sustainable and it’s alarming how more or less the same defensive unit + the best right-back in the league in Ballantyne have regressed so badly from last season. It was unreal the amount of times their players picked up the ball in acres of space in the middle of the park, down the flanks or on the edge of the box. It’s a wonder they didn’t actually try more long-range shots because they’d have had plenty of time and space to pick their spot. I was lucky enough to be in hospitality today and McCabe said in the bar after the game he was raging that we’ve lost 7 goals in two games and at how soft they were. Me too brother! At least he’s acknowledged it’s not good enough and we know he’ll work hard to fix it. I’m not sure there’s much he can do in terms of personnel currently but the defenders we have should be and are good enough at this level. Ultimately, he may just have to compromise his principles somewhat if it’s going to make us more difficult to beat. That being said some of the goals from an individual perspective are also far too soft. 

But, I thought overall the performance was far and away better than Kelty last week (and presumably the Montrose and Alloa games too). We played some lovely stuff at times and the goals were all excellent. When we put it all together we really are a cracking side to watch and capable of beating anyone. Still confident of doing well and having a successful season under McCabe. We just need to get a bit of solidity about the side ASAP. 

Home kit is still a disgrace. 

Interesting you say this as I was watching the goals from the last 2 games and the thing that strikes me is how deep the defence drop every time the opposition have the ball. 3 of the 7 goals conceded have been from at least 20 yards out for the reason you point out. The defence drops too deep which leaves a huge space in front of them for players to exploit where they can take their time and pick their spot. The other goals conceded are crosses where we are too deep again and practically tripping over the goalkeeper's toes. I'm not suggesting pushing up and holding some kamikaze high line, but we need to be much more compact between defence and midfield. I'd hope a more experienced goalie would be more able to tell the defence to push up rather than dropping back the whole time.

16 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Interesting you say this as I was watching the goals from the last 2 games and the thing that strikes me is how deep the defence drop every time the opposition have the ball. 3 of the 7 goals conceded have been from at least 20 yards out for the reason you point out. The defence drops too deep which leaves a huge space in front of them for players to exploit where they can take their time and pick their spot. The other goals conceded are crosses where we are too deep again and practically tripping over the goalkeeper's toes. I'm not suggesting pushing up and holding some kamikaze high line, but we need to be much more compact between defence and midfield. I'd hope a more experienced goalie would be more able to tell the defence to push up rather than dropping back the whole time.

Every team we play seem to have a better structure, we do play some good stuff but are like a playground team , manager doesn't seem to be able to influence the game, is it him or the players not good enough, who can we beat not many, we are so easy to score against, 

One thing I thought when watching the game yesterday is that for all his faults, we perhaps miss an Agnew type player in midfield. We seem to play every game like we’re 3-0 up and need to score five to win the league which leaves us ridiculously open all the time. The main difference in personnel and style to last season is the lack of someone who literally just sits in front of the defence, recycles possession and doesn’t move beyond the halfway line. Yesterday looked like more of a 2 with Telfer and McMaster but even when McCabe is playing as the holding midfielder he’s a bit more aggressive. If we’re going to have the full backs bombing down the wings and so many attacking players going forward, sometimes having someone who just sits and keeps things in check isn’t a bad thing. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Every team we play seem to have a better structure, we do play some good stuff but are like a playground team , manager doesn't seem to be able to influence the game, is it him or the players not good enough, who can we beat not many, we are so easy to score against, 

I think Rhys is probably learning the depressing reality that for all coaches want to focus on the technical side of the game and playing a certain way, the fact is that you need to have a solid foundation before any of that matters. We're now averaging 2 goals a game, that should be enough to win you the majority of games you play, currently it's not even enough to get us a draw.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

One thing I thought when watching the game yesterday is that for all his faults, we perhaps miss an Agnew type player in midfield. We seem to play every game like we’re 3-0 up and need to score five to win the league which leaves us ridiculously open all the time. The main difference in personnel and style to last season is the lack of someone who literally just sits in front of the defence, recycles possession and doesn’t move beyond the halfway line. Yesterday looked like more of a 2 with Telfer and McMaster but even when McCabe is playing as the holding midfielder he’s a bit more aggressive. If we’re going to have the full backs bombing down the wings and so many attacking players going forward, sometimes having someone who just sits and keeps things in check isn’t a bad thing. 

Completely agree, it is that space in front of the defence that is killing us. Agnew got a lot of stick last year, wrongly in my opinion, and we're probably seeing now what happens without that type of player in there.

36 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Most folk I spoke to after the game were of a similar opinion. We keep shuffling the back line but our problems are further forward. We've got a load of good attacking options but lack a defensive midfielder. Teams are getting a free run on our defence. We need someone in the middle of the park to break up play.

22 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Most folk I spoke to after the game were of a similar opinion. We keep shuffling the back line but our problems are further forward. We've got a load of good attacking options but lack a defensive midfielder. Teams are getting a free run on our defence. We need someone in the middle of the park to break up play.

McMaster has been described as that type of player but not impressed to date. Where's Marvin Wilson or Evan Balfour when you need them.

We still don’t seem to have a settled 11 - still chopping and changing. I think our final third will be OK - some lovely stuff for our goals but as you said we need to close the gaps and have someone in there capable of winning the ball or stopping attacks. Lost count of how many tackles we didn’t win or were just simply not strong enough there to compete and win the ball.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

But we played him left back today. Just like last season until Brody Paterson came in we need a left back. Rhys wants to play the high press with the 2 wide players bombing forward but ATS isn't mobile enough and Deveney doesn't look anywhere near good enough.

Well that IMO was a frantic shambles,   The 2 fullbacks Watson and Ballantyne were atrocious, Ballantyne could have been red carded at his first booking, shocking tackle.  Queens put dangerous crosses in all game with us seemingly unwilling to do the hard yards and get tight and stop the cross,  this  isn't helped when we play 3 forward players,  the midfielders are getting overrun,  men against boys,  Wilson, Todd and Cochrane for Queens outmuscled our 'boys'...  I was all for Rhys stepping back into defenc e,  but it created an even bigger hole in midfield,     Yet again our lack of depth killed us,  Queens put on 4 experienced subs and really took control,  Telfer, McMaster and Smith were on there knees at the end,  and we could have refreshed it with Deveney coming on......

Apparently Wylie has been sent back to Celtic and Sal to stranrae r with no replacements, absolutely crazy and Rhys really needs to get his head together, we are in a tailspin and I cannot really see us getting out of it short term and it is self inflicted.....

The strip looked alright but quality wise looks and feels terrible,  what makes the strip look worse though is supporters buying the wrong size it doesn't cost anymore to size up ffs .....

11 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Apparently Wylie has been sent back to Celtic and Sal to stranrae r with no replacements, absolutely crazy and Rhys really needs to get his head together, we are in a tailspin and I cannot really see us getting out of it short term and it is self inflicted

Why didn't we get replacements? I think its financial restrictions from the board on the playing budget as I doubt Rhys would want such a small squad.