The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

33 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

The thing is you can twist numbers to suit what point you want to make. We have all agreed that the defence is not good enough but yet I can throw the statistic we have kept 4 clean sheets in our 9 league games. Of the other 5 We have conceded 1 goal in 3 of those games. That’s is including trips to Queen of the South, Dunfermline and then Kelty. That does not seem like troublesome reading but what you watch on the park does not match what I’ve just wrote. 

I wasn't really trying to make any point to be honest, I was just looking at the main goals for and against and drawing conclusions. You are right that there is more to it than that. One thing that I'd say is a factor is Murray Johnson, he saved us a few times in the games he played and I think if we'd had Henderson all season we'd be a lot worse off.

59 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I wasn't really trying to make any point to be honest, I was just looking at the main goals for and against and drawing conclusions. You are right that there is more to it than that. One thing that I'd say is a factor is Murray Johnson, he saved us a few times in the games he played and I think if we'd had Henderson all season we'd be a lot worse off.

I didn’t mean you had a specific point or I was trying to argue against you. Apologies if it comes across like that. I have the opinion Gallagher has to start when available he is our most dangerous player through the middle. 

I just meant stats can give us a false idea how things are and often won’t match up with what we see on pitch. 

Agree about Henderson too. Two that spring to mind was first half against QoS we gifted them 2 glorious chances first half out of no where despite being the far more dominant side and we did similar against Alloa. 

Defence wouldn't need to worry if we had some strikers that could find the net, aye Gallagher scored but missed easy one aswell, 

If we had strikers who buried every single chance they’d be playing a higher level than league one .

Definitely a wee sticky spell, this. 

As noted in the OTL Podcast, we've as many points after 9 games as we did last season (I think). 

On the one hand, no need for panic, we've only played 9 games and I still definitely fancy us to be in the hunt at the top end of the division. Loads of the season to find our groove and put some runs together. On the other, our August last year was really poor, so after having such an excellent one this year you'd hope to have been able to improve upon the points tally of last season at this stage, but we've hit this bump and it's clearly frustrating, especially the Edinburgh and Kelty games. 

Very concerned about Frizz getting an injury, can only pray to every deity going that it's not a serious one and that he's not out long term. Irreplaceable, for me. 

First of our two home games this month; really need to try and get those won. A clean sheet would do wonders for us as well. Play like we did going forward on Tuesday and we will get the win, I think. Play like we did defensively,  though, I don't think anyone can envisage a clean sheet. 

Certainly feel we need to keep the heid, we've got good players who we know are capable. Minimise the sloppy mistakes off the ball, shrink the gaps in midfield and keep doing what we're doing going forward, creating the chances, and the wins will come back. Easy said, obviously...

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

If we had strikers who buried every single chance they’d be playing a higher level than league one .

Yes maybe they would but money talks, admire your loyalty to our strikers, just feel myself they are  not good enough  

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Yes maybe they would but money talks, admire your loyalty to our strikers, just feel myself they are  not good enough  

It is frustrating when he misses the chances yeah, but not every striker is going to bury the lot. The Cove game last year was a nightmare at home for example when he had 2/3 good chances.

I will always back up Gallagher for the sheer fact he will always bring goals to the team, we could get rid of him and then bring in a striker who doesn't cut the mustard and some of our fans would be moaning for a striker with the record of Gallagher.

3 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

It is frustrating when he misses the chances yeah, but not every striker is going to bury the lot. The Cove game last year was a nightmare at home for example when he had 2/3 good chances.

I will always back up Gallagher for the sheer fact he will always bring goals to the team, we could get rid of him and then bring in a striker who doesn't cut the mustard and some of our fans would be moaning for a striker with the record of Gallagher.

I think good strikers are just a rarity in football these days. Even in the Championship, near enough every club is desperate for a 15-20 goal a season striker but there just aren't many around now. It goes back to the budget chat but if teams with bigger budgets, both in our league and above, are struggling to find regular goal scorers then we're doing well to have the quality we have up there in Smith and Gallagher, even if they could do with being more clinical at the moment.

I'm one of his biggest fans on here but even I find Gallagher frustrating at times but as with any good player at this level, they're always going to have weaknesses if they're playing for us. The perfect striker isn't going to end up at Airdrie given the league we're in and the wages we pay. You can take a punt on someone and it might work out but every other team in this league would take Gallagher given his scoring record and if one of our rivals had a similar player we'd be desperate for him.

58 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Never though about getting rid of Gal, but surely front boys have got to answer with goals soon.  

The worst Airdrie top of all time

51 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Not normally one to care about the strip but all that build up and it's not even a full diamond!

Me neither but that home top is the worst of all time. We're the Diamonds for fecks sake!

10 minutes ago, Preston Diamond said:

This is surely an own goal.  Sales will be low. Why not consult some of the supporters about the design before placing the order. "Diamonds are forever" but not apparently when it comes to the team strip.

Have asked previously about doing a fans vote as other clubs have done successfully, unfortunately fallen on deaf ears.

Glad I bought the third kit, had a few non-airdrie pals message and ask what’s going on. All that time, for that…

And to think how rosy things were in August.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I think good strikers are just a rarity in football these days. Even in the Championship, near enough every club is desperate for a 15-20 goal a season striker but there just aren't many around now. It goes back to the budget chat but if teams with bigger budgets, both in our league and above, are struggling to find regular goal scorers then we're doing well to have the quality we have up there in Smith and Gallagher, even if they could do with being more clinical at the moment.

I'm one of his biggest fans on here but even I find Gallagher frustrating at times but as with any good player at this level, they're always going to have weaknesses if they're playing for us. The perfect striker isn't going to end up at Airdrie given the league we're in and the wages we pay. You can take a punt on someone and it might work out but every other team in this league would take Gallagher given his scoring record and if one of our rivals had a similar player we'd be desperate for him.

There you go we are sorted again. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

The worst Airdrie top of all time

Me neither but that home top is the worst of all time. We're the Diamonds for fecks sake!

Not only have we cut back on the management structure,  lightest squad in the league,   our new kits comprise of new home top mixed with last season's away shorts and socks and our new away top mixed with last 2 seasons red shorts and socks..     Cost cutting at it's very worst.....

50 minutes ago, Preston Diamond said:

This is surely an own goal.  Sales will be low. Why not consult some of the supporters about the design before placing the order. "Diamonds are forever" but not apparently when it comes to the team strip.

Stuart Millar did a couple of years back and we ended up with the yellow effort and a Clyde strip aka last season with black shorts and red socks.. Until it was changed after 2_games