The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

18 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

In Telfers one good game every 5 he'll score a goal run the game look much to good for league 1...then he'll going screaming back to anonymous small midfielder...it's his MO

His good games are normaly only when the rest of the team is playing well and he sees plenty of the ball also. He’s not the type to dig you out a hole when the going gets tough, that combined with his inconsistency (your 1 game in 5 is pretty accurate) is probably the reason McGlynn released him at Falkirk because the guy does have enough ability, he should really be showing up better at this level than he does. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

13 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I miss Murray and Easton (I’m sure we all do), but I also think given our squad size that we’ve also made a mistake releasing guys like Kerr and Allan. Even guys like Scott McGill who Kelty subbed on today, why wouldn’t we have had him back on loan? Done a job for us covering several positions and instead was loaned out to another team in our division. Surely he’d have been available to us if we enquired? I’m afraid we’re nowhere near where we were last season.

Easton obviously and Kerr I would have kept but he has a really poor injury record so I can understand that one.

We just fell short last season but when we had everyone available then Kerr, McGill & Allan were not selected therefore it's unlikely any of them would have improved this years side and none of them have moved upwards. (Could be argued that Kerr has)

Rhys has always said that he was looking for players better than what we have, correctly in my opinion, but window has been and gone and Ballantyne & Devenny would be the only ones to date who have. Deveney & Jamieson have had a lot of game time but failed to impress with Rae, Wylie, ATS, Telfer & McMaster still to prove either way.

One point that has crossed my mind is the financial side of the club. The squad size has been well documented but effectively it would be down to 16 if we subtract our Manager and assistant, albeit finance is our chairman's area of expertise.

Anyway lets not forget that we can go top of the league with a win on Tuesday night!

I know we like to try pass the ball about but every week that back line and the keeper are a costly mistake waiting to happen. I wouldn’t slate the young boy and he has made some great saves but we need to stop putting the keeper under pressure with passes he clearly isn’t comfortable and his distribution is a major work in progress. 

Edinburgh and the tactics after going down to 10 aside that’s the worst I’ve saw this season. Created hee haw and look consistently shaky at the back. Austin upfront himself with little support yet he gave our back line a torrid time. We had 3 upfront that offered nothing. Gallagher has to go back through the middle quite simply. 

As others mentioned last few games the balance in the midfield is all over the place we were so slow in trying to create anything. 

Don’t want to hit the panic button as other teams are dropping points and we are only 2 points off top spot. If i was offered that pre season after a quarter of the games gone I would have taken it with who is in our league and been happy but I can’t shake the feeling of concern about how this season will go 

14 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Ironically the lack of signings actually makes McCabe more secure in his post. If we had a good sized squad and results were so poor that sacking McCabe was seriously considered then it could be done, but with such a small squad and McCabe being one of our better players we can’t really afford to sack him, even if results were very poor.

I think the major concern most of us had about the player-manager setup was the difficulty in changing games that aren’t going our way and we’ve seen that with the lack of subs both today and in the FC Edinburgh game. At what point do guys sitting on the bench not getting a run out start to become disheartened by the manager and coaching staff when they’re watching us struggle and we only make one sub?

Honestly I’m worried. The squad is far too small and I don’t really have confidence in us getting results unless we score first. I think if we get to January and are in a title race still then we can maybe bring in players to improve the situation but we might be off the pace by then if another side starts to get results more consistently. Probably another year for the playoffs, but maybe more likely by finishing 3rd or 4th than 2nd like the last two seasons.

I miss Murray and Easton (I’m sure we all do), but I also think given our squad size that we’ve also made a mistake releasing guys like Kerr and Allan. Even guys like Scott McGill who Kelty subbed on today, why wouldn’t we have had him back on loan? Done a job for us covering several positions and instead was loaned out to another team in our division. Surely he’d have been available to us if we enquired? I’m afraid we’re nowhere near where we were last season.

Kerr was with us 3 seasons and never managed to be a regular starter apart from a few runs of 5 or 6 games, I don't see what he would add this year. Allan contributed very little, and McGill was good for the first half of the season but was poor the second half, I'd agree he's probably a better option than Wylie or McMaster but it's hardly a big issue.

Yesterday was poor, but I think there's been an overreaction on here. We are sitting in 3rd place after 8 games, it's hardly crisis territory. The next 2 games will be a real indicator I think, 4 points from them would be a decent return, anything less and it's probably a sign we'll be play-offs at best this year. The points tally required this year will be much less than last year, we are already seeing that so it's a mistake to compare us to last year's side in terms of form, we are going to lose more than last year but could still be close given the lower points tally.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Kerr was with us 3 seasons and never managed to be a regular starter apart from a few runs of 5 or 6 games, I don't see what he would add this year. Allan contributed very little, and McGill was good for the first half of the season but was poor the second half, I'd agree he's probably a better option than Wylie or McMaster but it's hardly a big issue.

Yesterday was poor, but I think there's been an overreaction on here. We are sitting in 3rd place after 8 games, it's hardly crisis territory. The next 2 games will be a real indicator I think, 4 points from them would be a decent return, anything less and it's probably a sign we'll be play-offs at best this year. The points tally required this year will be much less than last year, we are already seeing that so it's a mistake to compare us to last year's side in terms of form, we are going to lose more than last year but could still be close given the lower points tally.

It’s fair enough releasing these guys when they’re being replaced, but when our squad only has 17 players you have to feel they’d contribute. We have four forwards and play 3 at a time so we are short there, and Allan (who I certainly wasn’t bothered about losing at the time) would be a decent option off the bench. One injury/suspension to a defender and we’re really light there too, and if I’m being honest I think a fully fit Kerr would easily start in this team. Always liked him and seems to be doing very well at Bohemians from what I’ve seen.

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

It’s fair enough releasing these guys when they’re being replaced, but when our squad only has 17 players you have to feel they’d contribute. We have four forwards and play 3 at a time so we are short there, and Allan (who I certainly wasn’t bothered about losing at the time) would be a decent option off the bench. One injury/suspension to a defender and we’re really light there too, and if I’m being honest I think a fully fit Kerr would easily start in this team. Always liked him and seems to be doing very well at Bohemians from what I’ve seen.

Kerr was a starter till he had injury problems, 

I think a shift in formation might be a good idea after yesterday’s match, with a forward dropping out in favour of Devenny and maybe a shift to a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate both Telfer and McCabe.

Henderson

Ballantyne Watson Fordyce ATS

McCabe Telfer

Devenny Frizzell Smith

Gallagher

I reckon that shape makes the squad look a bit more balanced. You’d still have a couple of midfielders on the bench, as well as two forwards. Devenny played on the right in the NL Cup game against Stirling Albion and even though that was a meaningless game he done well there. That shape would potentially allow Frizzell to be a bit more influential as well. The alternative would be to play a midfield diamond with two up top but I’m not sure how well that would work with McCabe, Frizzell, Telfer, and Devenny all in there. It would be a bit congested especially with Telfer and McCabe trying to do the same thing, and I think 4-2-3-1 would give them both a bit more space to play a similar midfield role.

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think a shift in formation might be a good idea after yesterday’s match, with a forward dropping out in favour of Devenny and maybe a shift to a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate both Telfer and McCabe.

Henderson

McCabe Telfer

Devenny Frizzell Smith

Gallagher

I reckon that shape makes the squad look a bit more balanced. You’d still have a couple of midfielders on the bench, as well as two forwards. Devenny played on the right in the NL Cup game against Stirling Albion and even though that was a meaningless game he done well there. That shape would potentially allow Frizzell to be a bit more influential as well. The alternative would be to play a midfield diamond with two up top but I’m not sure how well that would work with McCabe, Frizzell, Telfer, and Devenny all in there. It would be a bit congested especially with Telfer and McCabe trying to do the same thing, and I think 4-2-3-1 would give them both a bit more space to play a similar midfield role.

Herein lies the problem. We shouldn't be trying to "accommodate both Telfer and McCabe" as either they can both work well in the same team or they don't. Early indications being that they don't, certainly not in midfield when excluding Devenny to do so.

After last season it became clear that McCabe was working better in the centre of defence and not in midfield and I've seen nothing in the games this season where he played midfield which makes me think this has changed. I'm also not convinced about Dycey being a starting centre half and reckon he could do with a spell on the bench which then leaves a  space at the back for McCabe to drop into along side ATS although I've not seen him show that he can be the ball winning centre half needed alongside the manager.

5 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Herein lies the problem. We shouldn't be trying to "accommodate both Telfer and McCabe" as either they can both work well in the same team or they don't. Early indications being that they don't, certainly not in midfield when excluding Devenny to do so.

After last season it became clear that McCabe was working better in the centre of defence and not in midfield and I've seen nothing in the games this season where he played midfield which makes me think this has changed. I'm also not convinced about Dycey being a starting centre half and reckon he could do with a spell on the bench which then leaves a  space at the back for McCabe to drop into along side ATS although I've not seen him show that he can be the ball winning centre half needed alongside the manager.

We shouldn’t force the two into midfield together but it might be worth trying a different shape to see if it works. You might be right though and McCabe in defence might be the best idea. McCabe and Fordyce were our centre back pairing last season so it’s tried and tested and shouldn’t be an issue (although I was hoping for a more natural centre back to join this season).

Just watched the highlights and that was a horrendous goal we lost. ATS as weak as water with his aerial challenge and Deveney caught fast asleep.  

Notice some comments about Fordyce's recent performances but there are no options at centre back, perhaps the him and Rhys partnership is the best we've got.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Just watched the highlights and that was a horrendous goal we lost. ATS as weak as water with his aerial challenge and Deveney caught fast asleep.  

Notice some comments about Fordyce's recent performances but there are no options at centre back, perhaps the him and Rhys partnership is the best we've got.

Yes, agreed that is the best centre back pairing we have.

Rhys playing as a midfielder at the expense of Devenny is just wrong. He sat just in front of the back 4 yesterday and offered little in terms of ball winning or going forward. At centre back he reads the game well and Fordyce better with him there.

Also, having our only regular scorer on the bench each week makes no sense to me at all. He may be part time but I'd rather have him starting than Gabby or Jamieson. Front 2 of Gal and Smith instead of 3, and a midfield of 4 which must include Devenny.

Tuesday night is only one game but I think is huge in terms of confidence.

Can only echo the concerns posted above. 

Don’t have as high hopes this season as last and I think Rhys will need to be cut some slack whilst he cuts his teeth managerially. 

The decision to let Sal go for game time is understandable however to not bring more bodies in is bizarre with us already having the smallest squad in the league. 

I do believe if we can get Rae back and a Left Back in we will make the playoffs at least and as we all to well know it makes no difference being a country mile ahead in second if you scrape 4th. 

I’d go on Tuesday;

Henderson

McCabe Telfer

Frizzell                        Devenney

Smith  Gal

I’d drop the keeper if we had a choice think his confidence has taken a hit over recent weeks.

Not that anyone got pass marks on Saturday but Euan Deveney was honking on Saturday could see a lot of there long balls were targeting him with one eventually working. Craig Watson must've been sick being dropped and him keeping his place.

Wouldn't mind seeing McCabe back on the bench and keeping the same team that beat Clyde a few weeks ago bar Deveney.

I said it in the Kelty match thread, I believe a loss on Saturday there would really start a tailspin in negative results.  I just think the early season optimism (in the squad and fans) is disappearing very quickly, fire that in with the "management support structure" we were told would be in place to help McCabe, no apparent movement on the loan front with that window coming and going, sending out a forward on loan when we're struggling in that area ourselves.

Round about now (after the first quarter) teams start to really settle in and we can gauge where we're at.  I think come the end of the season, we'll be looking at about a 4th place shootout between Edinburgh, Alloa and possibly Montrose.  Only IMO though and very happy to be proven wrong.

35 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I said it in the Kelty match thread, I believe a loss on Saturday there would really start a tailspin in negative results.  I just think the early season optimism (in the squad and fans) is disappearing very quickly, fire that in with the "management support structure" we were told would be in place to help McCabe, no apparent movement on the loan front with that window coming and going, sending out a forward on loan when we're struggling in that area ourselves.

Round about now (after the first quarter) teams start to really settle in and we can gauge where we're at.  I think come the end of the season, we'll be looking at about a 4th place shootout between Edinburgh, Alloa and possibly Montrose.  Only IMO though and very happy to be proven wrong.

Teams seem to strong for us, get bullied all over the place and when we do get a sight of goal it's over the bar past the post like a pass back, looking at our last few results we are lucky we are still in touch, make the best of other results and get back to playing football, really Kelty won every second ball  we are better than that, worry that we will be out muscled on Tues but would take a draw, 

On 02/10/2022 at 11:53, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agree its league position that matters, performance the last few games must be worrying though, 

Had a look in to the Falkirk forum and their current financial woes and found it quite astonishing that their budget is £1.9m which is probably on a par with several lower Premier clubs. In fairness they probably have a bigger support than them as well but it's huge for League 1 and failure to get promotion this year could be catastrophic for them. ( fans seem to suggest that money spunked on poor recruitment is a major factor)

Putting things in perspective. our budget is probably less than 1/4 of theirs! 

32 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Had a look in to the Falkirk forum and their current financial woes and found it quite astonishing that their budget is £1.9m which is probably on a par with several lower Premier clubs. In fairness they probably have a bigger support than them as well but it's huge for League 1 and failure to get promotion this year could be catastrophic for them. ( fans seem to suggest that money spunked on poor recruitment is a major factor)

Putting things in perspective. our budget is probably less than 1/4 of theirs! 

Think you’ve picked that up wrong, turnover is predicted to be at 1.9 million. The actual playing budget is probably around 60% of that figure which I agree is still pretty hefty for league one and it’s quite embarrassing we somehow managed to finish 5th last year on a similar budget. There is also a projected operating loss of 400k this year and unlike in previous seasons we don’t currently have the cash reserves to cover it, barring an unexpected windfall if we don’t go up this season shit could really hit the fan. The hope is our fans will buy into the recent share issue and fan ownership model subscribing to the newly formed Falkirk supporters society and Patrons Group for those that can afford to purchase larger amounts of shares but the numbers needed are pretty ambitious to say the least! Success on the pitch obviously helps motivate fans to invest in things like that so hopefully our recent form continues. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

38 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Think you’ve picked that up wrong, turnover is predicted to be at 1.9 million. The actual playing budget is probably around 60% of that figure which I agree is still pretty hefty for league one and it’s quite embarrassing we somehow managed to finish 5th last year on a similar budget. There is also a projected operating loss of 400k this year and unlike in previous seasons we don’t currently have the cash reserves to cover it, barring an unexpected windfall if we don’t go up this season shit could really hit the fan. The hope is our fans will buy into the recent share issue and fan ownership model subscribing to the newly formed Falkirk supporters society and Patrons Group for those that can afford to purchase larger amounts of shares but the numbers needed are pretty ambitious to say the least! Success on the pitch obviously helps motivate fans to invest in things like that so hopefully our recent form continues. 

Thanks for correcting.