The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

7 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

I assume that, having given Salim 90 minutes at Alloa, the manager does not believe him to be good enough to play for Airdrie at this time, hence he has been sent on loan to Stranraer to play regularly and improve his sharpness. Come January if McCabe believes that Salim is good enough to add to our team, then he can rejoin the squad and it will have been a win all round; if not, the loan can be extended. The loan can be cut short if we suffer too many injuries to our strikers between now and January, and we don't necessarily have any funds to bring in a replacement as I think it's normal for parent clubs to pay at least some of a loan player's wages.

After that result today needing a lot more than Salim, someday we might win a game we  really need to, 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Yes but its also about a balanced squad. Today's bench has a goalie, defender, forward & 2 central midfielders with another central mid not stripped, presumed injured.

Awe well that's fine, because they are all pretty well balanced as shown today , 

That was dreadful. Shoe horning Telfer into the line up has had a negative impact. We've lost the energy and ball winning of Justin Devenny and it also seems to have marginalised Frizz. Jamieson was exceptionally poor in terms of his decision making on the ball and Gabby wasn't particularly good at keeping hold of the ball. I go back to Rhys statement after the scudding at the hands of Edinburgh and his reluctance to compromise his style of football, well it seems that he has compromised any style we had to get Telfer on the pitch and for what? 

Regardless of squad size the starting 11 needs work before we bemoan lack of depth.

We created absolutely nothing and by half time my thoughts were not of winning the match but could we keep a point. I don't think we particularly deserved to lose but that's always the risk you take when you are unable to make any impact from middle to front. An absolute fucking shambles.

That was dreadful. Shoe horning Telfer into the line up has had a negative impact. We've lost the energy and ball winning of Justin Devenny and it also seems to have marginalised Frizz. Jamieson was exceptionally poor in terms of his decision making on the ball and Gabby wasn't particularly good at keeping hold of the ball. I go back to Rhys statement after the scudding at the hands of Edinburgh and his reluctance to compromise his style of football, well it seems that he has compromised any style we had to get Telfer on the pitch and for what? 
Regardless of squad size the starting 11 needs work before we bemoan lack of depth.

We created absolutely nothing and by half time my thoughts were not of winning the match but could we keep a point. I don't think we particularly deserved to lose but that's always the risk you take when you are unable to make any impact from middle to front. An absolute fucking shambles.
It was very bad, we'd be better having Smith and Gal up front. Gabby and LJ were exceptionally poor. I think a midfield 3 of Frizz, Telfer and McCabe has a lack of mobility and I think that affected our style of play today. Justin Devenny is vital to be in the team for our system to work. I think ATS has been the one who's been shoehorned into Centre Back when McCabe would be better there and ATS at left back. That performance annoyed me far more than the 6-0 defeat. Too many players way off it. Montrose on Tuesday is giving me the absolute fear.

I’ve made a lengthy post in the match thread so no need to repeat the failings, but at what point do the alarm bells start ringing?

Not saying now is the time yet, but a thought I had driving home was what kind of position is the club in if Rhys has to be moved on? He’s probably still one of the best players, if he’s relieved as managerial duties does/would he stay on in a playing capacity?

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I’ve made a lengthy post in the match thread so no need to repeat the failings, but at what point do the alarm bells start ringing?

Not saying now is the time yet, but a thought I had driving home was what kind of position is the club in if Rhys has to be moved on? He’s probably still one of the best players, if he’s relieved as managerial duties does/would he stay on in a playing capacity?

This was always my main concern with appointing McCabe. It’s a massive gamble and if it goes wrong, we’re potentially losing one, possibly even two, of our best players. It’s early days, we’re still only two points off top and in general I think that he’s done well so far, but I do wonder what would happen in that situation. To be fair to McCabe, we’re still waiting on this support model the announcement seemed to promise. 

As @David Fernándezsays, that was more frustrating and concerning than the Edinburgh game. To go with what ostensibly was a game plan to get long balls in behind their defence and to persist with that for a full game when it clearly wasn’t working was bizarre. I’d have brought Devenny on for Jamieson and went with an extra man in the middle to try and control the game but the lack of subs, both on the bench and coming on, shows the lack of options in the squad. Were Watson, McMaster or Devenny going to change that game? I’ve been fairly supportive of McCabe’s recruitment strategy but as I said after Salim went out on loan, you do need players there to provide different options. 

A very tough game on Tuesday. It’s far from a must win but I’d say it’s almost must not lose, as four defeats out of five would be unheard of for this team, to paraphrase Alex Turner. Picking a team for it is tricky. I’d probably go with something like this, as I’d always start Gallagher, it’s clear we need Devenny’s running in midfield and I think Jamieson needs a rest after a very poor month. 

Henderson
Watson - McCabe - Fordyce
Ballantyne - Telfer - Devenny - Deveney
Frizzell
Gallagher - Smith

Spice boys did make me laugh on the match thread. Tough day today and not good enough. Kelty worth their win IMO.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:
2 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

It was very bad, we'd be better having Smith and Gal up front. Gabby and LJ were exceptionally poor. I think a midfield 3 of Frizz, Telfer and McCabe has a lack of mobility and I think that affected our style of play today. Justin Devenny is vital to be in the team for our system to work. I think ATS has been the one who's been shoehorned into Centre Back when McCabe would be better there and ATS at left back. That performance annoyed me far more than the 6-0 defeat. Too many players way off it. Montrose on Tuesday is giving me the absolute fear.

This was mentioned when we signed Telfer and today just strengthens this point, Telfer, McCabe and Frizzell as a 3 are not the right mix. Frizzell is great and does get about but the other 2 are slow and don't have the legs to get up to support or keep with runners. Devenney has to be in instead of one of them, I personally wouldn't have McCabe in midfield as I don't think he offers enough. It's centre back or nothing, unless we have injuries.

The other issues for me are Jamieson and McGill. When I first saw Jamieson I thought he'd be a player who will score a couple of brilliant goals a season, and perhaps have one or two days when everything goes right for him, but would spend most of the season being ineffectual and missing in big games. So far unfortunately this has been the case (without the great goals).

McGill is not a good enough centre forward, he tries his best but his touch is awful and finishing not much better. It's been discussed to death but in Gallagher we have a player who we know will score 15-20 goals if given a full season. Like McGill he has major flaws in his game but they are all flaws that McGill shares too so I'd rather have a flawed goalscorer than a flawed striker who doesn't score.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This was mentioned when we signed Telfer and today just strengthens this point, Telfer, McCabe and Frizzell as a 3 are not the right mix. Frizzell is great and does get about but the other 2 are slow and don't have the legs to get up to support or keep with runners. Devenney has to be in instead of one of them, I personally wouldn't have McCabe in midfield as I don't think he offers enough. It's centre back or nothing, unless we have injuries.

The other issues for me are Jamieson and McGill. When I first saw Jamieson I thought he'd be a player who will score a couple of brilliant goals a season, and perhaps have one or two days when everything goes right for him, but would spend most of the season being ineffectual and missing in big games. So far unfortunately this has been the case (without the great goals).

McGill is not a good enough centre forward, he tries his best but his touch is awful and finishing not much better. It's been discussed to death but in Gallagher we have a player who we know will score 15-20 goals if given a full season. Like McGill he has major flaws in his game but they are all flaws that McGill shares too so I'd rather have a flawed goalscorer than a flawed striker who doesn't score.

Agree 100% with everything above.

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Ironically the lack of signings actually makes McCabe more secure in his post. If we had a good sized squad and results were so poor that sacking McCabe was seriously considered then it could be done, but with such a small squad and McCabe being one of our better players we can’t really afford to sack him, even if results were very poor.

I think the major concern most of us had about the player-manager setup was the difficulty in changing games that aren’t going our way and we’ve seen that with the lack of subs both today and in the FC Edinburgh game. At what point do guys sitting on the bench not getting a run out start to become disheartened by the manager and coaching staff when they’re watching us struggle and we only make one sub?

Honestly I’m worried. The squad is far too small and I don’t really have confidence in us getting results unless we score first. I think if we get to January and are in a title race still then we can maybe bring in players to improve the situation but we might be off the pace by then if another side starts to get results more consistently. Probably another year for the playoffs, but maybe more likely by finishing 3rd or 4th than 2nd like the last two seasons.

I miss Murray and Easton (I’m sure we all do), but I also think given our squad size that we’ve also made a mistake releasing guys like Kerr and Allan. Even guys like Scott McGill who Kelty subbed on today, why wouldn’t we have had him back on loan? Done a job for us covering several positions and instead was loaned out to another team in our division. Surely he’d have been available to us if we enquired? I’m afraid we’re nowhere near where we were last season.

Ironically the lack of signings actually makes McCabe more secure in his post. If we had a good sized squad and results were so poor that sacking McCabe was seriously considered then it could be done, but with such a small squad and McCabe being one of our better players we can’t really afford to sack him, even if results were very poor.
I think the major concern most of us had about the player-manager setup was the difficulty in changing games that aren’t going our way and we’ve seen that with the lack of subs both today and in the FC Edinburgh game. At what point do guys sitting on the bench not getting a run out start to become disheartened by the manager and coaching staff when they’re watching us struggle and we only make one sub?
Honestly I’m worried. The squad is far too small and I don’t really have confidence in us getting results unless we score first. I think if we get to January and are in a title race still then we can maybe bring in players to improve the situation but we might be off the pace by then if another side starts to get results more consistently. Probably another year for the playoffs, but maybe more likely by finishing 3rd or 4th than 2nd like the last two seasons.
I miss Murray and Easton (I’m sure we all do), but I also think given our squad size that we’ve also made a mistake releasing guys like Kerr and Allan. Even guys like Scott McGill who Kelty subbed on today, why wouldn’t we have had him back on loan? Done a job for us covering several positions and instead was loaned out to another team in our division. Surely he’d have been available to us if we enquired? I’m afraid we’re nowhere near where we were last season.
Suppose one way to look at things, we could go on a 20 game unbeaten run, play amazing football and bottle the play offs, or we can be dugmeat, finish 4th, and scrape through and win the play offs. After last season, I know what option I'd prefer.

We started the season reasonably well and were playing some lovely stuff. The difference maybe now is in recruitment. We’ve not fundamentally added any real quality to what we started out with, jury is out on Telfer for me as I’ve only seen him twice and he was anonymous against Alloa second half and parts of today, but willing to give him more time.

I’d need to go back and look and the ins and out but other teams appear to have done a good job of completing their squads and we’re still struggling to put a bench together. Felt a bit men vs boys out there today and defo in terms of physically and experience. Still feel we need a stronger spine and definitely someone capable of holding a ball up for the likes of Gal. It’s what is missing for me.

I want a team capable of winning this league and being ruthless when we need to be. Not half a development squad.

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

We started the season reasonably well and were playing some lovely stuff. The difference maybe now is in recruitment. We’ve not fundamentally added any real quality to what we started out with, jury is out on Telfer for me as I’ve only seen him twice and he was anonymous against Alloa second half and parts of today, but willing to give him more time.

I’d need to go back and look and the ins and out but other teams appear to have done a good job of completing their squads and we’re still struggling to put a bench together. Felt a bit men vs boys out there today and defo in terms of physically and experience. Still feel we need a stronger spine and definitely someone capable of holding a ball up for the likes of Gal. It’s what is missing for me.

I want a team capable of winning this league and being ruthless when we need to be. Not half a development squad.

Telfer anonymous, surely not…

Well what a disappointing few days,   the loaner window came,and went with no activity apart from our most physical striker and only o ne in our squad who can compete for a header,  Good luck Sal...

Onto the game with a predictable look about the team,  on paper it looks decent enough,    the whole process just seems to be unravelling piece by piece just now...   Main issue we have is our strikers Jam ieson and McGI'll give us nothing,  McGillseems undroppable as said before is Gal not starting due to is Part Time status,  there has to be some reason...

Watson and J Devenney dropped out to shoehorn our management team into the Line up,   Fordyce is a shadow of the player of last season, constantly giving the ball away playing out from the back and getting pulled all over the place,   Ma baw McCabe sat just in front of the defence and played crossfielld hollywood balls all game,  constantly switching play on a tight pitch which now and again is a good tactic, but we couldn't build up any momentum or gain territory due t o it.... 

although our bench and squad is light, changes should have been made,  that's the last 2_games opposing managers have been brave putting on fresh legs  in attacking areas and it as paid off,   Salmon bullied us for the winner last week and Alfie wanted the ball more than our defence today to slot home....

Looking at our coaching setup on the bench, they offer nothing but water bottles,  Prunty and Hutts for all there faults were always passionate and involved,  now nothing,   something not right with the setup..

We have Montrose coming up on Tuesday if we drop that we are in a tailspin,  

10 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

There is a reason that teams sign experienced players, and have a experienced manager, and its starting to show now, opposing managers changing set up and a experienced players have done us the last 2 games, 

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

Well what a disappointing few days,   the loaner window came,and went with no activity apart from our most physical striker and only o ne in our squad who can compete for a header,  Good luck Sal...

Onto the game with a predictable look about the team,  on paper it looks decent enough,    the whole process just seems to be unravelling piece by piece just now...   Main issue we have is our strikers Jam ieson and McGI'll give us nothing,  McGillseems undroppable as said before is Gal not starting due to is Part Time status,  there has to be some reason...

Watson and J Devenney dropped out to shoehorn our management team into the Line up,   Fordyce is a shadow of the player of last season, constantly giving the ball away playing out from the back and getting pulled all over the place,   Ma baw McCabe sat just in front of the defence and played crossfielld hollywood balls all game,  constantly switching play on a tight pitch which now and again is a good tactic, but we couldn't build up any momentum or gain territory due t o it.... 

although our bench and squad is light, changes should have been made,  that's the last 2_games opposing managers have been brave putting on fresh legs  in attacking areas and it as paid off,   Salmon bullied us for the winner last week and Alfie wanted the ball more than our defence today to slot home....

Looking at our coaching setup on the bench, they offer nothing but water bottles,  Prunty and Hutts for all there faults were always passionate and involved,  now nothing,   something not right with the setup..

We have Montrose coming up on Tuesday if we drop that we are in a tailspin,  

Best we all get together and take the 3 point's, we can do it, we have some good players if only we could hit the net early, you will see a different team,