The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Thought out of contract players could sign for anyone, as long as they didn’t play for more than two clubs within 12 months (Goodwillie never played for Raith). Hope he never gets a club again anyway.

Someone of same ability would be great though, 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I was under the impression the player would have to be a free agent BEFORE the transfer window shut.

Anyways, that rodent will be playing amateur shortly. Or rock up at OpenGoal "for the craic" 🙄

Let's not get caught up in this Goodwillie pish,    the real story here is why an already threadbare squad has lost another player with seeming!y no one replacing him,   especially with McCabe and Fordyce looking for wee gems to increase and improve the squad..?

a totally bizarre situation at the culmination of a clusterfu k of a squad building process...

33 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Let's not get caught up in this Goodwillie pish,    the real story here is why an already threadbare squad has lost another player with seeming!y no one replacing him,   especially with McCabe and Fordyce looking for wee gems to increase and improve the squad..?

a totally bizarre situation at the culmination of a clusterfu k of a squad building process...

Manager doesn't seem to be to  worried, great if we get a good result tomorrow, don't think we are as good as some would like to think we are, 

Seems a crazy decision to loan a player out without bringing anyone in when our squad is already small. Not holding my breath for us to announce that we got a signing over the line at the death there but just haven’t announced it yet. We’ve made some quality signings and held onto some cracking players but 5 defenders and 4 forwards isn’t good enough when we play 4-3-3. One injury and we’ve no back ups in defence or up front.  We can’t even fill the bench without using boys from the development squad. I personally don’t think that’s good enough.

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

If we don't sign anyone else the Salim decision is an atrocious one. If we get a couple of bodies in then all good.

No new players for today then, A game on Tues at Montrose, if I remember right the last midweek game was gale force winds, a few balls were lost, 

I realise the last thing we need is another small, technical midfielder but I’d have been all over this.

There’s still time for us to announce a late signing before today’s game but as much as I agree with McCabe’s mantra of quality over quantity, there does need to be a balance of having enough players to cover for when we get a few injuries and suspensions.

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I realise the last thing we need is another small, technical midfielder but I’d have been all over this.

There’s still time for us to announce a late signing before today’s game but as much as I agree with McCabe’s mantra of quality over quantity, there does need to be a balance of having enough players to cover for when we get a few injuries and suspensions.

But he'd be up against Telfer, McCabe, Devenny, Frizzell, Wylie & McMaster. Whilst the last 2 mentioned haven't proved anything yet its our strongest part of the squad which you allude to. 

With Sal gone I would have thought a forward would have been the priority as Jamieson really has to step up..

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

But he'd be up against Telfer, McCabe, Devenny, Frizzell, Wylie & McMaster. Whilst the last 2 mentioned haven't proved anything yet its our strongest part of the squad which you allude to. 

With Sal gone I would have thought a forward would have been the priority as Jamieson really has to step up..

Would be in a bad position if any cards or injuries, very light bench for to be 7games or so into the season, you would think someone else is pulling the strings, 

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

No new players for today then, A game on Tues at Montrose, if I remember right the last midweek game was gale force winds, a few balls were lost, 

Was just thinking that when I saw the team announcement on Facebook there. Can't even fill a bench but we're sending people out on loan! Not great

59 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Would be in a bad position if any cards or injuries, very light bench for to be 7games or so into the season, you would think someone else is pulling the strings, 

Yes but its also about a balanced squad. Today's bench has a goalie, defender, forward & 2 central midfielders with another central mid not stripped, presumed injured.

I assume that, having given Salim 90 minutes at Alloa, the manager does not believe him to be good enough to play for Airdrie at this time, hence he has been sent on loan to Stranraer to play regularly and improve his sharpness. Come January if McCabe believes that Salim is good enough to add to our team, then he can rejoin the squad and it will have been a win all round; if not, the loan can be extended. The loan can be cut short if we suffer too many injuries to our strikers between now and January, and we don't necessarily have any funds to bring in a replacement as I think it's normal for parent clubs to pay at least some of a loan player's wages.