The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Watching tonight's game only confirmed a few things for me. Gal and Salim are pretty poor when it comes to hold up play, particularly when a long ball is played. Ben Wylie and Dean McMaster will not commit to serious ball winning in the middle of the park, McMaster in particular was guilty of this leading up to the Alloa goal.

Henderson will one day be a very good keeper but he will no doubt have center halfs standing toe to toe with him at corners, especially after tonight.

Alloa, despite the commentator's views are a fairly average side and even with their 'first eleven' we should be winning against them in every game.

I would hope that the team returns to the one we see every week in terms of desire and urgency, starting at kelty!

9 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

Watching tonight's game only confirmed a few things for me. Gal and Salim are pretty poor when it comes to hold up play, particularly when a long ball is played. Ben Wylie and Dean McMaster will not commit to serious ball winning in the middle of the park, McMaster in particular was guilty of this leading up to the Alloa goal.

Henderson will one day be a very good keeper but he will no doubt have center halfs standing toe to toe with him at corners, especially after tonight.

Alloa, despite the commentator's views are a fairly average side and even with their 'first eleven' we should be winning against them in every game.

I would hope that the team returns to the one we see every week in terms of desire and urgency, starting at kelty!

It's all about opinions I would start Salim as centre over Jameson and McGill all day long,   he should have had 2 goals that Jamieson or McGill wouldn't have been in the position to score.  

Midfield was decent all night until the last 15 when they tired the drop off in fitness was alarming,   McMaster, Devenney and Telfer all faded and should have been replaced,  if Rhys was serious about his cup..Alloa made 4 changes to win the game and credit to them,   we made 3 subs with 2 in injury time with seconds to go.

AT S absolutely strolled it tonight a n d has surely played his way into the starting 11 ...or indeed keep his place

I didn't watch the game so can't comment on it but while you never want to lose, I can't say I'm bothered at all that we're out, other than missing out on a potential away trip to Wales or Northern Ireland. I think it was the right decision to rotate the squad and give others a chance, even if it seems like they didn't take them unfortunately.

I saw this on Twitter earlier and it really shows how important Frizzell is to us. Just such a great player to watch, he has everything you want in a midfielder. 

The witching hour of the loanee signing window is nearly upon us,   we have repeatedly spouted all summer about quality loanees,  a n d I have yet to see one...

We have 2 loanee signings left will be sign any,   not heard any rumours...

Or do we go with an 18 man squad till January.....

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

The witching hour of the loanee signing window is nearly upon us,   we have repeatedly spouted all summer about quality loanees,  a n d I have yet to see one...

Squad  just not strong enough, keeper had some good saves being young is no excuse for some of  his kicking, certainly upfront needs to be seriously looked at if we have any intention of a challange for title, 2 decent strikers would have had us 4 up at half time, 

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

I didn't watch the game so can't comment on it but while you never want to lose, I can't say I'm bothered at all that we're out, other than missing out on a potential away trip to Wales or Northern Ireland. I think it was the right decision to rotate the squad and give others a chance, even if it seems like they didn't take them unfortunately.

I saw this on Twitter earlier and it really shows how important Frizzell is to us. Just such a great player to watch, he has everything you want in a midfielder. 

I'm quite happy we're out, I lost any interest when they ruined the competition a few years ago. We have quite a tight squad and as last night showed to get anywhere in the competition we'd need to play our first 11. It would have been quite useful to qualify if we were able to play a second string side in each round and still qualify to give guys game time but clearly we'd have to play our first 11 each round and it's not worth risking injuries and suspensions for this competition.

A few guys got a good run out and some fitness and McCabe will have learned a few things, quite happy with that.

33 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm quite happy we're out, I lost any interest when they ruined the competition a few years ago. We have quite a tight squad and as last night showed to get anywhere in the competition we'd need to play our first 11. It would have been quite useful to qualify if we were able to play a second string side in each round and still qualify to give guys game time but clearly we'd have to play our first 11 each round and it's not worth risking injuries and suspensions for this competition.

A few guys got a good run out and some fitness and McCabe will have learned a few things, quite happy with that.

Was not to happy we are out, we have managed to beat a poor Clyde team, in between 2draws and 2 defeats, must do better, 

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

Fair point, if you pick our strongest 11 just now, would any of the loanees be in it. Jamieson maybe? 

Have to echo the thoughts of everyone else, don't think any of the youngsters vying for playing time did anything to further their cases.

The difference between now and a month ago is that we were taking the 4/5 chances that we make a match and scoring two or three goals, now we're panicking and firing over the bar or not even working the keeper in most cases.

Taking chances seemed beyond us last night, and we might have lost more in that first half with the risky pass it out tactics.

The absence of Friz and Smith meant all our width came from the full backs. They rarely got much linking with our spare midfielder or Gal and Sal up front 

Alloa clearly stepped it up in the 2nd half and Scougal/Cawley were much more creative. I know it was a dodgy corner which led to the goal but you always thought Sammon would annoy us. 

On the pre season talk of Taggart coming to us he was very impressive at CB. 

I could never say I want to lose and I hate this bizarre cup competition, but it's the league that matters.

On that Wylie will not do a McInroy and it would be no loss if he goes back. I'll give him that audacious back heel near thing last night but he offers very little. 

I could be wrong of course and will grovel when reminded of my view.

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Taking chances seemed beyond us last night, and we might have lost more in that first half with the risky pass it out tactics.

The absence of Friz and Smith meant all our width came from the full backs. They rarely got much linking with our spare midfielder or Gal and Sal up front 

Alloa clearly stepped it up in the 2nd half and Scougal/Cawley were much more creative. I know it was a dodgy corner which led to the goal but you always thought Sammon would annoy us. 

On the pre season talk of Taggart coming to us he was very impressive at CB. 

I could never say I want to lose and I hate this bizarre cup competition, but it's the league that matters.

On that Wylie will not do a McInroy and it would be no loss if he goes back. I'll give him that audacious back heel near thing last night but he offers very little. 

I could be wrong of course and will grovel when reminded of my view.

Long gone are the days when no team wanted to play Airdrie in a cup tie, especially Hearts, 

Not a lady myself so I suppose it’s not really my place to decide what’s acceptable and what isn’t but the club’s “Lady’s Day” in hospitality comes across as a bit outdated, particularly the awards for best dressed presented by the man of the match. I think it’s a good thing to try to encourage women to come to the games, and I think the heart’s in the right place, but not convinced this event is the best way. Just seems a bit condescending with the focus on prosecco and dresses. Also seems a bit overpriced at £72 but I’ve never attended hospitality so I don’t know how good it is in terms of value.

38 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Not a lady myself so I suppose it’s not really my place to decide what’s acceptable and what isn’t but the club’s “Lady’s Day” in hospitality comes across as a bit outdated, particularly the awards for best dressed presented by the man of the match. I think it’s a good thing to try to encourage women to come to the games, and I think the heart’s in the right place, but not convinced this event is the best way. Just seems a bit condescending with the focus on prosecco and dresses. Also seems a bit overpriced at £72 but I’ve never attended hospitality so I don’t know how good it is in terms of value.

Lady's nights, Lady's days are still quite popular, especially at horse racing but in the gender specific world we now live in i couldn't agree more that this is sure to offend, some!

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Lady's nights, Lady's days are still quite popular, especially at horse racing but in the gender specific world we now live in i couldn't agree more that this is sure to offend, some!

Maybe offend all but for one, and handbags at the ready, 

5 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

This is scotland, just rock up to the club and tell them you identify as female

On 23/09/2022 at 23:52, Passionate said:

Looks like Cove are going to let Morgyn Neill go out on loan. Not a priority position for us and he's a bit marmite but I'd 100% take him.

I know McCabe works well at centre half especially as manager having the game in front of him but a back two of Dycey and Neill would be ideal for this league. Have the two of them heading boulders and the rest doing the fancy stuff that's been so successful for us of late. Would provide the ideal balance for me

13 hours ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Looks like Cove are going to let Morgyn Neill go out on loan. Not a priority position for us and he's a bit marmite but I'd 100% take him.

I know McCabe works well at centre half especially as manager having the game in front of him but a back two of Dycey and Neill would be ideal for this league. Have the two of them heading boulders and the rest doing the fancy stuff that's been so successful for us of late. Would provide the ideal balance for me

Would take him in a heartbeat as I think we definitely need another centre half but the question becomes whether he’d be willing to relocate to the central belt. Montrose are probably more likely to get him (if they have an interest that is) than us for that reason alone.

37 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Would take him in a heartbeat as I think we definitely need another centre half but the question becomes whether he’d be willing to relocate to the central belt. Montrose are probably more likely to get him (if they have an interest that is) than us for that reason alone.

I’m sure he’s a Glasgow guy.