The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Do you think that was a record crowd for a first division game, Dunfermline v Falkirk  over 6500 . 

We continue our upturn in crowds this season 1083 at the Clyde game,  although home support did look and feel a good bit less than previous games and Clyde brought 200ish ,     Need to keep winning if not the floating fan will disappear like snow off a dyke..

...was impressed by Charlie Telfer on Saturday. I thought he linked well with Frizz and always had his head up looking for a pass. He didn't waste too many balls before tiring a bit in 2nd half. He is probably a bit more mobile than Rhys in midfield and I think we are likely to see the manager back in defence once fully fit. The combination of Telfer and Frizz could be an exciting one to watch develop and could be fundamental to how the season plays out.

1 hour ago, chicagodiamond said:

...was impressed by Charlie Telfer on Saturday. I thought he linked well with Frizz and always had his head up looking for a pass. He didn't waste too many balls before tiring a bit in 2nd half. He is probably a bit more mobile than Rhys in midfield and I think we are likely to see the manager back in defence once fully fit. The combination of Telfer and Frizz could be an exciting one to watch develop and could be fundamental to how the season plays out.

If everyone is fit I'd be surprised if McCabe plays in midfield, we need Frizzell, and we need at least one player like Devenney who is a bit more athletic, therefore it comes down to Telfer and McCabe for the last spot.

If you look at McCabe's career path as a midfielder he has clearly been on the decline in recent years so although that is his natural position I'm not at all convinced he's our best option in there. He played there at the start of last season and was okay, but was a revelation at centre back. He's gone back into midfield this season but again he's been okay at best. He's comfortable on the ball but I think is too slow now for midfield, players run off him very easily. I'd have him centre back for a few weeks and see how he looks, and see whether it helps Fordyce at all. If he ultimately ends up as a squad player who is on the sidelines most of the time I don't think that's a bad thing.

7 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Can rule out Josh Rae for a while.

Poor lads no had much luck with early season injuries, missed  a good chunk of games last season at QoS after fracturing a cheek bone. Hope it's nothing too serious this time. 

If everyone is fit I'd be surprised if McCabe plays in midfield, we need Frizzell, and we need at least one player like Devenney who is a bit more athletic, therefore it comes down to Telfer and McCabe for the last spot.
If you look at McCabe's career path as a midfielder he has clearly been on the decline in recent years so although that is his natural position I'm not at all convinced he's our best option in there. He played there at the start of last season and was okay, but was a revelation at centre back. He's gone back into midfield this season but again he's been okay at best. He's comfortable on the ball but I think is too slow now for midfield, players run off him very easily. I'd have him centre back for a few weeks and see how he looks, and see whether it helps Fordyce at all. If he ultimately ends up as a squad player who is on the sidelines most of the time I don't think that's a bad thing.
I think with McCabe taking the number 4 Jersey, I think his intention was to play at centre back and get Telfer in from June. But that signing has taking a lot longer than anticipated. 100% agree, with thag signing McCabe would be best placed at centre back.

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
48 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think with McCabe taking the number 4 Jersey, I think his intention was to play at centre back and get Telfer in from June. But that signing has taking a lot longer than anticipated. 100% agree, with thag signing McCabe would be best placed at centre back.

Not averse to that but it no doubt means Watson would be on the bench as Ballantyne's got to be down the right. Lack of height would then be a problem and i'm unsure of ATS's aerial ability, for a big guy!

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

And £18 for the stream! Mulraney, Vice President of the SFA and pisssing over the fans!

At the away games last season any comment of price of stream were generally met with arrogance from the guy that ran the stream and defending the Mulroney, so not surprised by the pricing really.

Relevant unbiased review:

"Thought Alloa’s stream and commentary were excellent, what a difference with the actual camera as well compared to the pixellot effort. Also the replays are a great addition. In comparison
 to Peterhead’s a few weeks ago it’s night and day, albeit its £8 more expensive, it’s well worth it"

I wouldn't go that far but we try to make it as good a product as we can.

38 minutes ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Liking that team, shows we have a bit of depth as it's still a pretty competitive XI but it also shows things are still tight. There's not quite two decent players for every position but it's getting there. Good chance for ATS and Telfer to get a bit more match fit too

Hoping that Ben Wylie shows what he's all about as he seems to have several doubters already. Interested to see how McMaster does as well.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Hoping that Ben Wylie shows what he's all about as he seems to have several doubters already. Interested to see how McMaster does as well.

Disappointing to say the  least, aye  league more important but would have been nice to progress, just don't know where the net is, 

1 minute ago, diamondman said:

Sadly I am far from convinced about Wylie.

I am also doubting that Salim has the mobility required. Five minutes or so at the end of a game seems to mask that.

Wylie was disappointing along with McMaster and Devenny not much better. 

Salim & Gal are a front 2 that was never going to work as both are out and out centre forwards with no pace who offer nothing in the wide areas.

The importance of Smith & Frizzell was highlighted tonight. Time for another loanee methinks!