The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

33 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Good 5 nil today. 

Boy near us spent the whole game giving abuse to Euan Deveney. Absolute walloper , who comes to a game that we are winning and just launches tirades of abuse at bloody teenager. Glad someone challenged him on it. 

It's ridiculous. He has started 6 league matches, from those we've had 4 wins and 2 draws (away against 2 title favourites). The one game he didn't start we lost 6-0. 

I'm clearly not claiming this was largely down to him, but the way some go on you'd think he was a total liability costing us points each week which isn't even close to being the case so far. He has been no worse than Watson or Fordyce from the games I've seen this season and so far centre back is a bigger concern for me than full-back.

29 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Wasn't there today to comment directly.

In times gone by there were always the ' shouters' from the stand.  They are venting a frustration they have. It is likely without any reliable basis. A challenge of their personal prowess may take a while.

The boy is a bell end and I really hope he read this. 

He seems to just pick a player every season. 

Agnew last year , Crichton before that and so on for about 5 seasons. Part of me wants to say we are entitled to whatever cause we pay money to get in, but also see if you get your jollies from shouting nonsense at wee lads, then politely f off. Same boy shouted abuse at mcmaster during the St mirre  game...HE WASNT EVEN PLAYING! 

Lunacy. 

24 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Good 5 nil today. 

Boy near us spent the whole game giving abuse to Euan Deveney. Absolute walloper , who comes to a game that we are winning and just launches tirades of abuse at bloody teenager. Glad someone challenged him 

Ultimately happy with today's performance...and no-one can complain about a 5-0 win. We started well, Telfer impressed, but then we seemed to start to look a bit nervy.

After the second goal, you could see the nerves fade and we played good football afterwards. Good to see Gabby score after a bit of a howler before that. Delighted Smith is off the mark - first was a peach.

I still think that McCabe alongside Dycey in centre of defence gives us a more solid feel.

Re previous comments about Deveney criticism...jeez...he's a 19 yr old who overall has done well and certainly gives it his all each game. P*sh we heard today is really going to motivate the hell out of him eh?

8 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

The boy is a bell end and I really hope he read this. 

He seems to just pick a player every season. 

Agnew last year , Crichton before that and so on for about 5 seasons. Part of me wants to say we are entitled to whatever cause we pay money to get in, but also see if you get your jollies from shouting nonsense at wee lads, then politely f off. Same boy shouted abuse at mcmaster during the St mirre  game...HE WASNT EVEN PLAYING! 

Lunacy. 

Aye shouting abuse at a player every week some Airdrie supporter  that, can do without, 

11 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Guy played on against St Mirren despite this, why is he subject to constant abuse by fans. Think we need to start up the Euan Deveney Airdrie P&B appreciation society.9e7e910a17c527b8042e8a405fa4c87c.jpg

I thought Deveney was poor yesterday but the one thing you can say about him is that he never hides. He’s actually quite good at winning the ball back and carrying it forward, only to them do something daft and give it away again. He’s still young and hasn’t played much senior football. He’ll have his off days but he’s generally been decent for us and even when he is struggling, he keeps going rather than shirking out of tackles and looking scared in possession.

7 hours ago, Ballboy said:

Salim must have a goal per minutes on pitch rate that would rival anyone.  

I’m very much here for Salim coming on at the end and stat padding his way through the season. I don’t think he quite fits how we play well enough to start games but his physicality and ability in the air is a great option from the bench.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Fordyce has historically been one of our most consistent players. Wonder whether, now he has the added responsibility of AM, it’s affecting his game as he feels he needs to focus on everyone else’s game as well as his own.

This does give me the fear. Fordyce is a much better defender but I always felt Sean Crighton was very solid for us until he took on a coaching role at the club as well as playing and being captain. His form fell off a cliff from there and he never really recovered. It’s a big role that might just take some adjusting to so hopefully this is just a rare blip given Fordyce has been the most consistent defender in the league since he joined.

I think what hasn't helped the defence is how open we've been. Pretty much any time we lose the ball high up the park the opposition are in and around our box within 3-4 passes. Obviously Edinburgh really punished us for this but in every other game it's only been a combination of dreadful finishing and brilliant saves from Johnson and Henderson that has seen us not lose more goals (and probably more points). If your forwards and goalie can bail you out every game then fair enough I guess but it does need to tighten up. Not sure what the answer is within the current squad or system but I think McCabe being back in the side would help. 

I think what hasn't helped the defence is how open we've been. Pretty much any time we lose the ball high up the park the opposition are in and around our box within 3-4 passes. Obviously Edinburgh really punished us for this but in every other game it's only been a combination of dreadful finishing and brilliant saves from Johnson and Henderson that has seen us not lose more goals (and probably more points). If your forwards and goalie can bail you out every game then fair enough I guess but it does need to tighten up. Not sure what the answer is within the current squad or system but I think McCabe being back in the side would help. 
Think McCabe being at centre back will help, I think our style of high risk high reward is a factor, but Dycey and Watson were making basic errors, when I played football at like 10 year old we were taught 'never let the ball bounce' and that happened on more than one occasion. With Telfer coming in might be worth playing 4-1-2-1-2 putting in an extra midfielder which help us be less open, but play possession based football which suits us.

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:
2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Think McCabe being at centre back will help, I think our style of high risk high reward is a factor, but Dycey and Watson were making basic errors, when I played football at like 10 year old we were taught 'never let the ball bounce' and that happened on more than one occasion. With Telfer coming in might be worth playing 4-1-2-1-2 putting in an extra midfielder which help us be less open, but play possession based football which suits us.

Really think Salim needs a run in the team, we know you need ability, upfront  though  confidence seems play a big part, 

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:
3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Not against this idea but Smith is much much better on the left of a front 3 than he is as part of a pair, and he’s one of our best players.

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

7 hours ago, David Fernández said:
7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Both of those are good points, I think even things like letting the ball bounce come down to our style of play too though. At all times it must be in their heads that they should be getting the ball down and playing it, therefore instead of just heading it up the park they'll try and get it down and start an attack.

It is all risk v reward and we'll only know whether it's worked at the end of the season, it's clear already that we're going to hand out a few hammerings, but we'll also take a few. It is hard to see us being solid enough over a season to win the league playing the current way. I was encouraged to hear McCabe say in his interview about being a bit more direct at times and we saw that result in goals a couple of times yesterday. It's important that teams know you have it in you to go long as well as pass through the lines as it causes confusion on whether to press or sit off. If teams know you wont ever go direct they can press you high up the pitch and trap you in your own half. If they are afraid of the ball over the top they'll sit off a bit which then makes it easier to play how we want to play. Plus, with Smith, McGill and Jamieson we have a real threat by going long and turning defences.

I think I'd also go with McCabe at centre back given the style we are going for, he's far better on the ball than Watson or ATS so you'd think we'd have less hairy moments playing out from the back. It would hopefully help Fordyce's game too.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Both of those are good points, I think even things like letting the ball bounce come down to our style of play too though. At all times it must be in their heads that they should be getting the ball down and playing it, therefore instead of just heading it up the park they'll try and get it down and start an attack.

It is all risk v reward and we'll only know whether it's worked at the end of the season, it's clear already that we're going to hand out a few hammerings, but we'll also take a few. It is hard to see us being solid enough over a season to win the league playing the current way. I was encouraged to hear McCabe say in his interview about being a bit more direct at times and we saw that result in goals a couple of times yesterday. It's important that teams know you have it in you to go long as well as pass through the lines as it causes confusion on whether to press or sit off. If teams know you wont ever go direct they can press you high up the pitch and trap you in your own half. If they are afraid of the ball over the top they'll sit off a bit which then makes it easier to play how we want to play. Plus, with Smith, McGill and Jamieson we have a real threat by going long and turning defences.

I think I'd also go with McCabe at centre back given the style we are going for, he's far better on the ball than Watson or ATS so you'd think we'd have less hairy moments playing out from the back. It would hopefully help Fordyce's game too.

Yup, agree with all of this. We are definitely more solid with McCabe alongside Fordyce.

In terms of being more direct, look at Frizz assists yesterday..just great passing to match the runs. I'm sure Telfer will chip in with a good few of those through the rest of the season too.

Tighten up at the back..especially on opposition breaks, and we'll be up there.