The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’d say we’re now only a centre half away from respectable/acceptable squad depth. More would be nice for competition, but that’s probably all we need as a minimum requirement now

Teller is a good signing and will be a good player for us     I am thinking Rhys might step back into the middle of aback 3,  with Telfer his place in midfield.....

Line up injuries permitting could be. 

Rae

Watson.         McCabe.       Fordyce

Ballantyne.     Telfer.    Wylie.     Frizzell.        J Devenney

Gallagher.          Smith

That is a talented startng 11...   with still possibility of 2 quality loanees to come in

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Teller is a good signing and will be a good player for us     I am thinking Rhys might step back into the middle of aback 3,  with Telfer his place in midfield.....

Line up injuries permitting could be. 

Rae

Watson.         McCabe.       Fordyce

Ballantyne.     Telfer.    Wylie.     Frizzell.        J Devenney

Gallagher.          Smith

That is a talented startng 11...   with still possibility of 2 quality loanees to come in

I think squad wise we’re actually better than we were last season. Without having seen ATS yet it feels like the entire squad can at least make positive impacts or contributions to games. I’m not sure Wylie is ready to start games yet but, he was unfortunate to come back into the team for last week’s disaster, and there’s still time for him. 

I’d still stick with Deveney on the left. He struggled at Dunfermline but I think he’d actually been one of our most consistent defenders up until then and we missed Devenny terribly in the middle last week. Would start him in the middle and have Wylie on the bench. 

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I think squad wise we’re actually better than we were last season. Without having seen ATS yet it feels like the entire squad can at least make positive impacts or contributions to games. I’m not sure Wylie is ready to start games yet but, he was unfortunate to come back into the team for last week’s disaster, and there’s still time for him. 

I’d still stick with Deveney on the left. He struggled at Dunfermline but I think he’d actually been one of our most consistent defenders up until then and we missed Devenny terribly in the middle last week. Would start him in the middle and have Wylie on the bench. 

Rae

Ballantyne Watson Dycey Deveney

Telfer McCabe Frizzell

Jamieson Gallagher Smith

That leaves Taylor-Sinclair, McMaster, Wylie, Devenny, McGill, and Kouider-Aissa for cover. As I’ve said I think we still need a centre half in as I’d argue Dycey is our only natural centre half with Watson being more of a natural right back who can provide cover for Ballantyne and at centre half (or be very useful in a back 3). If it’s 433 there’s three midfielders to cover our midfield three which is good cover and two forwards to cover the front 3 which is absolutely fine. Arguably the only players from last year who left that would start in the current squad are Easton and Paterson (and obviously McInroy but he was away midseason). Could argue for Kerr but he barely played last year, even if I felt he could have been used more. I’d agree that we’re probably a bit stronger overall this year but there will be times we’ll miss Easton’s magic or Paterson’s ability at left back. Hopefully Dunfermline aren’t as good as Cove.

I would assume that Telfer will gel into the team a lot easier since he has trained with the squad for over 2 months and has played alongside a few of the players in what seems like an eternity ago at Cumbernauld. Obviously hoping he has a great season and glad he’s now there but wondering about the timing. Did last weeks scare force management and board to get his signature? Wish he had been there from week 1 but this will now get us close to our regular starting lineup with maybe one or two players still to come in. Defense priority, midfield and up front now looking good

29 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Rae

Telfer McCabe Frizzell

Jamieson Gallagher Smith

That leaves Taylor-Sinclair, McMaster, Wylie, Devenny, McGill, and Kouider-Aissa for cover. As I’ve said I think we still need a centre half in as I’d argue Dycey is our only natural centre half with Watson being more of a natural right back who can provide cover for Ballantyne and at centre half (or be very useful in a back 3). If it’s 433 there’s three midfielders to cover our midfield three which is good cover and two forwards to cover the front 3 which is absolutely fine. Arguably the only players from last year who left that would start in the current squad are Easton and Paterson (and obviously McInroy but he was away midseason). Could argue for Kerr but he barely played last year, even if I felt he could have been used more. I’d agree that we’re probably a bit stronger overall this year but there will be times we’ll miss Easton’s magic or Paterson’s ability at left back. Hopefully Dunfermline aren’t as good as Cove.

It is definitely fair to say there is more competition for starting places this season as there must have been 5 or 6  who were never seriously considered last year. I was an advocate for the smaller quality squad, just not sure we have enough.

Hopefully one or two of the newbie's really come through.

Devenny has had a great start, looks a good athlete and can only improve.

McMaster we haven't really seen yet.

Wylie has had a slow start but the ability is there and i believe there's loads more to come from him. 

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Rae

Telfer McCabe Frizzell

Jamieson Gallagher Smith

I'm assuming that's Euan Deveney at left back and not a misspelled Justin at LWB. In which case there is absolutely no way that Justin Devenny should be getting dropped for anyone in midfield. He's performed extremely well there this season and his only meh performance was at LWB. 

18 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I know there's always players that we just don't value as loan players and  that's where I see Wylie. I could be wrong of course but IMO Justin Devenny is much better there,  but at least Rhys now has player competition in most areas.

All the pre season clamour about quality loanees arguably our strongest 11  has no loanees in it......

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I'm assuming that's Euan Deveney at left back and not a misspelled Justin at LWB. In which case there is absolutely no way that Justin Devenny should be getting dropped for anyone in midfield. He's performed extremely well there this season and his only meh performance was at LWB. 

It was Euan and I would agree it’d be very harsh to drop Justin at the moment I was just throwing out a quick team assuming Telfer is coming in to start games. Might be that Telfer stays on the bench behind Devenny or that a forward is dropped in favour of a midfield four. Or as has been mentioned by another, McCabe could drop into defence with Telfer taking the deep midfield role (although I’d rather McCabe played the deep midfield role personally).

It is hard to pick a best 11 as the likes of McMaster, Wylie, Taylor-Sinclair & even Salim are unknowns.

I don't see Sal starting many as i doubt he suits our style of play but if his fitness holds up i do see him contributing as a sub. An old fashioned number 9 who wants crosses in the box.

Taylor-Sinclair i expect to play as he seems to have played left back most of his career and at a higher level, well apart from Falkirk.

18 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

It was Euan and I would agree it’d be very harsh to drop Justin at the moment I was just throwing out a quick team assuming Telfer is coming in to start games. Might be that Telfer stays on the bench behind Devenny or that a forward is dropped in favour of a midfield four. Or as has been mentioned by another, McCabe could drop into defence with Telfer taking the deep midfield role (although I’d rather McCabe played the deep midfield role personally).

It also gives the option of McCabe not playing as much. We don't know what Telfer will be like yet but assuming he's the level we expect I don't really see a role for McCabe in midfield. Frizzell obviously starts, so would Telfer, and I'd much rather have Devenney than McCabe if it was between those 2 as we we need his energy and athleticism. A midfield 3 of Frizzell, Telfer and McCabe wouldn't be mobile enough in my opinion. That leaves McCabe to play centre-back, or not start.

A big worry for me so far is how much poorer Fordyce has been this season. He's been our consistently best player over 3 seasons now and I voted for him for POTY last year, but I think he's looked very shakey this year. I wonder if dropping McCabe back into centre-back to play with Fordyce like last year would help get the best out of Fordyce again. I'd expect that next week with Ballantyne's suspension and Watson moving to right back, we'll get an idea of how it might look then.

Treating McCabe as a centre-back also gives us a better balanced squad. We are well stocked for central midfielders and moving him back would then mean Fordyce, Watson, ATS and McCabe as options there.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

8 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Assuming Saturday’s game against Clyde goes ahead and the Montrose game isn’t played until a later date, will Ballantyne’s suspension be delayed? Will Ballantyne now miss the Clyde game or will his suspension not kick in until the rescheduled game comes around?

SPFL have announced they plan on games going ahead this weekend, so presumably Ballantyne serves his suspension for this game versus Clyde. You'd expect so, anyway.

16 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Assuming Saturday’s game against Clyde goes ahead and the Montrose game isn’t played until a later date, will Ballantyne’s suspension be delayed? Will Ballantyne now miss the Clyde game or will his suspension not kick in until the rescheduled game comes around?

6 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

SPFL have announced they plan on games going ahead this weekend, so presumably Ballantyne serves his suspension for this game versus Clyde. You'd expect so, anyway.

He'll serve it the next time you play a League game, it doesn't move with the postponed game.