The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

There’s just so much I don’t understand about how and why we did things today - the sense of confusion is overriding being pissed at the result. Moving Justin to the left after benching Euan despite having just signed a player capable of fitting in there if needed. The decision to still go for it when everyone could see the game was probably gone at 3-0. Rhys and Dycey staying on the park when perhaps making a sub and managing the damage would have been better. Everything that could have gone wrong did and they absolutely demolished us. So fair play to them.

12 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I can't remember Murray ever doing something like that with 10 men though, certainly not with that long to go in the game.

You're also spot on that the difference with Murrayball in games like the Montrose match is that teams would feel bombarded due to the number of forwards he'd put on, it was a genuine change of tactic in the hope it would spook the opposition. But that today was just a case of switching the strikers and then carry on as normal, except with 2 defenders.

After so long in this league I have no interest in style of play, I care about winning. Obviously everyone enjoys watching good football but for me that only matters as a means to an end. Hearing phrases like 'my team wont play this way' and such like isn't what I want to hear, I want us to play any way that gets us the win that week. You can have an overriding idea of how to play while still accepting there needs to be the option to play a more ugly style of football at times to get results. I thought in the 2nd half of the Queens game we were too late to notice that we needed to stop trying to play through their press and it cost us, and today we got it wrong.

Overall we've had a good start so don't want to be too negative/critical (which it probably sounds like) and if you go for a young manager you have to accept they are learning on the job. But as I say my concern and criticism wasn't that McCabe messed up, it's that he seems pretty adamant he was right.

This is so true. I feel at this level in order to consistently pull off a style like we are trying you have to have lots of a very specific profile of player - as well as a smattering of experience in there too when it comes to keeping the back door locked. We're very close to it to be fair, and I'm personally not going to have any knee-jerk reaction to yesterday. For example, we're not going to go down to 10 men after 15 mins every game to force the manager into gambling.

Some sort of plan B, more defensive minded tactic is always worth having a team drilled in though so they can adapt to different situations. Just going at teams every week - many of which are of a similar level or have stronger squads on paper - is gonna bring it's highs and lows.

12 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I can't remember Murray ever doing something like that with 10 men though, certainly not with that long to go in the game

A point I made yesterday to the folk sitting a few along. Can’t remember many capitulations under Murray but happy to be corrected.

Incidentally, I noted Stuart Millar back in the soft seats recently, one hopes he’s not the answer to “is Rhys going to get any support”.

4 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Incidentally, I noted Stuart Millar back in the soft seats recently, one hopes he’s not the answer to “is Rhys going to get any support”.

I noticed him there at one of the home games towards the end of last season so hopefully he’s just along to watch games as the last thing this team needs is Eoghan Stokes.

13 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Would like to hear what Prunty and Hutton were thinking. What are they doing or meant to be doing in the dugout. 

I've asked the same thing in my post on the match thread. If they are making suggestions to Rhys based on what they are watching and these are being disregarded then that's not on them. If they're not doing anything then perhaps there is a need for a stronger character in the dugout.

17 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

At the Dunfermline game last week Rhys made subs and changed shape during the game. So their were genuinely no reasons why he couldn't do the same yesterday whether he was playing or on the bench.

Maybe the pressure of feeling like he has to play a certain way at home? We had to suffer they philosophy of the two clown managers last season who harped on about entertaining the fans at home. Vanity over sanity sometimes with managers.

Maybe the pressure of feeling like he has to play a certain way at home? We had to suffer they philosophy of the two clown managers last season who harped on about entertaining the fans at home. Vanity over sanity sometimes with managers.
If that trend continues with our gaffer, we might well find ourselves in your 'Pottsy's bottom of the league thread'.

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
21 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If that trend continues with our gaffer, we might well find ourselves in your 'Pottsy's bottom of the league thread'.

You’d be made most welcome! 

55 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I've asked the same thing in my post on the match thread. If they are making suggestions to Rhys based on what they are watching and these are being disregarded then that's not on them. If they're not doing anything then perhaps there is a need for a stronger character in the dugout.

Aye you would think  things would be for the better if all pulled in same direction, manager wants to play certain way but if not working 4 heads better than one if all have been trusted to have some input, 

Despite the appalling result yesterday, I’m not overly worried.

When it was 11 vs. 11 Edinburgh struggled to get out their own half. McCabe’s naive tactics were to blame for the heavy defeat in the end but I’ve no doubt he’ll learn from this. You cant expect to appoint a 29 year old manager and for him not to make a few catastrophic mistakes along the way.

I’d like to think we’ll be back to our usual selves next week. McAllister being suspended will definitely help!

30 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Despite the appalling result yesterday, I’m not overly worried.

When it was 11 vs. 11 Edinburgh struggled to get out their own half. McCabe’s naive tactics were to blame for the heavy defeat in the end but I’ve no doubt he’ll learn from this. You cant expect to appoint a 29 year old manager and for him not to make a few catastrophic mistakes along the way.

I’d like to think we’ll be back to our usual selves next week. McAllister being suspended will definitely help!

Montrose away isn’t the easiest game to be next up however. If we’d won yesterday I think most would have seen a draw away to Montrose as a good result, but now we’re in a position where a draw extends a winless run to 3 games. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with drawing away to Montrose, but it’s not an easy place to go when we’re all hoping for a positive reaction from the team, especially when we’ll be missing Ballantyne through suspension.

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Would like to hear what Prunty and Hutton were thinking. What are they doing or meant to be doing in the dugout. 

I sit around the home dug outs and there is no communication between Prunty, Hutton and either Rhys or Fordyce during the game,  it is quite a bizarre situation,   Prunty love him or loathe him is normally a hyper active cheerleader type on the sideline,  this season Prunty looks pretty glum and fed up even when we have been winning.....

the club promised Rhys a support structure (whatever that means)  to help him I suppose in situations like this......

Montrose away isn’t the easiest game to be next up however. If we’d won yesterday I think most would have seen a draw away to Montrose as a good result, but now we’re in a position where a draw extends a winless run to 3 games. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with drawing away to Montrose, but it’s not an easy place to go when we’re all hoping for a positive reaction from the team, especially when we’ll be missing Ballantyne through suspension.

I wouldn’t be disappointed with a draw next week

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I wouldn’t be disappointed with a draw next week

Rhys's first blip in management yesterday and there will be a lengthy queue waiting to say "It was never going to work". He's under more pressure than most if he goes on a bad run.

So it's an away win for me.

Definitely still need a centre back and a centre mid in my opinion. If Watson’s best position is right back then really we’ve only got Fordyce as a natural centre back with cover provided by a right back (Watson), left back (ATS) and a midfielder (McCabe). I’d like to see Fordyce have a consistent partner in defence that is a natural centre back.

Numbers in midfield might seem ok, but at the moment I’d say we’re relying on Devenny being a first team player all season. McCabe and Frizzell we can maybe expect to play every week, but Devenny’s only competition at the moment is Wylie and I suppose McMaster when he returns from injury. Becomes even more of an issue if/when McCabe is required to cover centre back.

Would be really good to get a player in before Montrose so we have some good news to perk us up after a bad weekend. 

19 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

There’s just so much I don’t understand about how and why we did things today - the sense of confusion is overriding being pissed at the result. Moving Justin to the left after benching Euan despite having just signed a player capable of fitting in there if needed. The decision to still go for it when everyone could see the game was probably gone at 3-0. Rhys and Dycey staying on the park when perhaps making a sub and managing the damage would have been better. Everything that could have gone wrong did and they absolutely demolished us. So fair play to them.

It looked to me like he tried to get his best 11 on the park, regardless of positions. It didn't work!