The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

Interesting wee read from  Dunfermline about how they wanted to bring in more players but basically no one wants to play in league 1 , or send their young players to league 1. 

Obviously a bit of an over simplification , but just high lights the difficulties clubs down at our level face.  

I thought it seemed quite naive on their part to think teams in the English Premier League would loan players to Scotland’s third tier. I’m not even saying our league is of a poor standard, but Scottish football in general never mind the third tier is perceived that way down south.

Anyway, our striker on loan from West Ham must be due to arrive any day now.

18 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

See that on the 4th September we'll have the first chance to watch the development squad in action. Will be interesting to watch how good some of the these young players are, and watch Bright Okosun's lethal Samuel Eto'o esque finishing.

Did you see his goal the other week? Lovely run and finish onto a ball over the top. Future star that boy. 

36 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

See that on the 4th September we'll have the first chance to watch the development squad in action. Will be interesting to watch how good some of the these young players are, and watch Bright Okosun's lethal Samuel Eto'o esque finishing.

When and where is this ? 

23 hours ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Randomly bad record against them eh? They've actually pulled off some quality recruitment, Creagan, Kyle Jacobs, Fonts and that wee fanny Kyle MacDonald to name the best of them.

Think we'll do them tomorrow but, based on nothing but a hunch. Think they're still sitting somewhere between a proper outfit and an amateur gang and they're there for the taking

Ever catch yourself just talking absolute raw effluent?

Just now, Right in the Stanchion said:

Ever catch yourself just talking absolute raw effluent?

I had a bad feeling about the game ! Doesn't help giving away a silly penalty and going a man down. Need a big reaction next week. Will be tough up at montrose though.

Some observations from today:

Pretty sure Rhys doesn't fancy Euan Deveney.

Justin Devenny is a midfielder.

Rhys got it tactically wrong when chasing a game that was done which i'm sure he will admit shortly.

I'm already losing faith with LJ.

Ballantyne's red doesn't leave many options for next week.

Keep the faith though, one result doesn't ------------ 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Some observations from today:

Pretty sure Rhys doesn't fancy Euan Deveney.

Justin Devenny is a midfielder.

Rhys got it tactically wrong when chasing a game that was done which i'm sure he will admit shortly.

I'm already losing faith with LJ.

Ballantyne's red doesn't leave many options for next week.

Keep the faith though, one result doesn't ------------ 

I think we missed McCabe in midfield more than Devenny in that first half if I’m honest. Jamieson had a poor game other than a few decent flashes but yes I think it would be good to see a bit more commitment towards a team effort from him. He’s obviously talented.

As for next week’s back four I think it should be fine to go with Watson at right back, bring Deveney back in at left back and go with Fordyce and Taylor-Sinclair at centre back to allow McCabe to play in midfield.

32 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think we missed McCabe in midfield more than Devenny in that first half if I’m honest. Jamieson had a poor game other than a few decent flashes but yes I think it would be good to see a bit more commitment towards a team effort from him. He’s obviously talented.

As for next week’s back four I think it should be fine to go with Watson at right back, bring Deveney back in at left back and go with Fordyce and Taylor-Sinclair at centre back to allow McCabe to play in midfield.

Still no hurry for any other signing's, end of Sept be plenty time. 

Looks to be some careful editing in McCabe's interview, and a bizarre statement that he'll 'never be the type of manager to sit and soak up pressure and hit on the counter attack'. When he first got the job I liked the sound of what he was saying, it seemed like he was going to try and balance an attractive style of play with a dose of pragmatism. But that comment just comes across as naive and stubborn. No-one is suggesting going into games with the intention of playing that way, but you have to be able to adapt to the events on the pitch and be realistic.

There was absolutely zero chance of us getting something out that game playing the way we did with 10 men. Even if Gallagher had scored his chance at 2-0 we'd have still lost 4 or 5 goals because every time they went forward they scored or the keeper had to make a save. There are times when you have to take your medicine and play to keep it tight and see what happens. As long as you are in the game you never know, they might get a player sent-off or you steal a goal on the break or set-piece. At worst, you lose 2 or 3 nil with your pride, confidence and goal difference still relatively intact.

The one consolation I took leaving that game today was that an early season reality check might be good as long as we can learn the lessons from it. Hearing the manager basically say he'd do it all again is a real worry.

Jamieson was terrible for moaning at others and a bit of petulance at Clyde. Obviously a decent player (one I’d gladly have had back) but he got himself a stupid red card against Dumbarton for dissent and generally was pretty huffy when things weren’t going his way.

27 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Looks to be some careful editing in McCabe's interview, and a bizarre statement that he'll 'never be the type of manager to sit and soak up pressure and hit on the counter attack'. When he first got the job I liked the sound of what he was saying, it seemed like he was going to try and balance an attractive style of play with a dose of pragmatism. But that comment just comes across as naive and stubborn. No-one is suggesting going into games with the intention of playing that way, but you have to be able to adapt to the events on the pitch and be realistic.

There was absolutely zero chance of us getting something out that game playing the way we did with 10 men. Even if Gallagher had scored his chance at 2-0 we'd have still lost 4 or 5 goals because every time they went forward they scored or the keeper had to make a save. There are times when you have to take your medicine and play to keep it tight and see what happens. As long as you are in the game you never know, they might get a player sent-off or you steal a goal on the break or set-piece. At worst, you lose 2 or 3 nil with your pride, confidence and goal difference still relatively intact.

The one consolation I took leaving that game today was that an early season reality check might be good as long as we can learn the lessons from it. Hearing the manager basically say he'd do it all again is a real worry.

I posted the other night that we had to trust McCabe’s judgement as he hadn’t really got much wrong so far, as even in games like the first Edinburgh one or up at Arbroath I felt there were plenty of positives. His interview today was baffling though and as you say, a reluctance to sit in and keep things tight (which every team has to do at some point throughout the season) is a concern. I remember his interview after the win at Cowdenbeath said going down to ten men when McMaster went off injured was a good test as you have to deal with that throughout the season, today was obviously a very different proposition but it’s something he seemed to be aware of.

I think peak Murrayball was a good comparison for that second half. It was the same idea of playing with very few defenders and going for it and while Murrayball often didn’t work and isn’t really a good solution, today lacked any chaos or unpredictability. It was essentially the same style of play but with no full backs and no clear way of creating chances. Hopefully he’ll learn from it and that was just heat of the moment stuff but we’ll see over the next few weeks, as it’s still very early days.

The interviews on DTV on facebook/twitter generally aren't long enough, like under 2 minutes. Will be interested to hear the extended interview when it's posted tomorrow to find out exactly what he said after the game. Like he looked more raging with the 3-0 defeat to Arbroath in the cup where there were some positives to take from this. It seemed very bizarre.

48 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I like McCabe as a player. And I really liked Kenny Black, Jimmy Boyle and Sandy Stewart, and we have been doing great,and been riding our luck at times. Failure to strengthen and the after  game comments justify  being a little worried , 

41 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I posted the other night that we had to trust McCabe’s judgement as he hadn’t really got much wrong so far, as even in games like the first Edinburgh one or up at Arbroath I felt there were plenty of positives. His interview today was baffling though and as you say, a reluctance to sit in and keep things tight (which every team has to do at some point throughout the season) is a concern. I remember his interview after the win at Cowdenbeath said going down to ten men when McMaster went off injured was a good test as you have to deal with that throughout the season, today was obviously a very different proposition but it’s something he seemed to be aware of.

I think peak Murrayball was a good comparison for that second half. It was the same idea of playing with very few defenders and going for it and while Murrayball often didn’t work and isn’t really a good solution, today lacked any chaos or unpredictability. It was essentially the same style of play but with no full backs and no clear way of creating chances. Hopefully he’ll learn from it and that was just heat of the moment stuff but we’ll see over the next few weeks, as it’s still very early days.

I can't remember Murray ever doing something like that with 10 men though, certainly not with that long to go in the game.

You're also spot on that the difference with Murrayball in games like the Montrose match is that teams would feel bombarded due to the number of forwards he'd put on, it was a genuine change of tactic in the hope it would spook the opposition. But that today was just a case of switching the strikers and then carry on as normal, except with 2 defenders.

After so long in this league I have no interest in style of play, I care about winning. Obviously everyone enjoys watching good football but for me that only matters as a means to an end. Hearing phrases like 'my team wont play this way' and such like isn't what I want to hear, I want us to play any way that gets us the win that week. You can have an overriding idea of how to play while still accepting there needs to be the option to play a more ugly style of football at times to get results. I thought in the 2nd half of the Queens game we were too late to notice that we needed to stop trying to play through their press and it cost us, and today we got it wrong.

Overall we've had a good start so don't want to be too negative/critical (which it probably sounds like) and if you go for a young manager you have to accept they are learning on the job. But as I say my concern and criticism wasn't that McCabe messed up, it's that he seems pretty adamant he was right.