The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

We needed some cover at centre back and left back so makes complete sense from that point of view. I know he struggled last season at Falkirk but who didn't? We'll see how he looks when he actually plays but looks a decent signing given the current depth of our squad defensively. The fact he's been training for a few weeks suggests McCabe has liked what he's seen and is not some panic signing.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Do the majority think that do they ? 

Deary me your miserable. 

3 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Do the majority think that do they ? 

Deary me your miserable. 

I do think the majority think Rhys etc are playing with fire signing wise....

We have just announced a new starting left back ATS, we still have a number of gaps to fill...

Would you agree.....

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

He was rubbish at Falkirk last season but then again, who wasn’t?  I’m not expecting much from him but his experience, height and ability to cover centre back and left back is perfect for what we need. McCabe has got most things right so far so I think we have to trust his judgment.

Hopefully he can convince another Antigua and Barbuda international to join, now that would be fun.

Are you quite sure about that?

One of those players that’s too slow to be played wingback but not defensively strong enough to play in a centre half pairing so slots in well as a wide centre half in a 3. At least that’s the impression I’m left with from last season. 

Seeing that signing got me wondering, Charlie Telfer still training with you lot?

One of those players that’s too slow to be played wingback but not defensively strong enough to play in a centre half pairing so slots in well as a wide centre half in a 3. At least that’s the impression I’m left with from last season. 

Seeing that signing got me wondering, Charlie Telfer still training with you lot?
He played in one of our pre season games, but after that, he seems to have vanished off of the face of the earth.

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We have just announced a new starting left back ATS, we still have a number of gaps to fill...

Would you agree.....

That a question or a statement ? 

I don't know what you mean by playing with fire ? He hasn't got a single signing wrong yet ? He signing players he feels adds to the squad instead of signing a dean ritchie or Jonathan page . That's not a bad thing is it ? I cannot believe people still think that there's a magic football field out there populated with league 1 superstars dying to come to airdrie. What's available is there for everyone to see. The hidden gems are probably going to be loans. Clubs said on numerous occasions we are trying to get bodies in , but not just anyone and folk still harp on about no strategy, it's there , it's mentioned in every bloody interview. 

Will folk get that through their heads....time will tell....

Would you agree.....

He can keep playing with fire if it’s going to extend our unbeaten run.

A good signing IMO and happy to have someone as experienced and also can play a couple of positions in.

4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Are you quite sure about that?

We needed cover at left back, centre back and as a team lack experience and height, so I meant that his signing makes sense as he ticks all those boxes rather than he’s good at doing so. As I said, I’m not exactly expecting much from but I’d like to think given McCabe’s had a good look at him that he won’t be quite as bad as he was last season.

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Would you agree.....

We have 18 first team players signed, not including any of the youngsters. That's as many as we had last season. And I'd presume it's similar to most other teams at this level. Plus they've said they're after another couple of loans. Obviously everyone would like a massive squad with great options but it's not as bad as you are making out.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We have 18 first team players signed, not including any of the youngsters. That's as many as we had last season. And I'd presume it's similar to most other teams at this level. Plus they've said they're after another couple of loans. Obviously everyone would like a massive squad with great options but it's not as bad as you are making out.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Posters on here getting defensive,   we are top of the league (Falkirk voyeurs, you reading this). To stay there we need to strengthen now in centre mid and right mid  is it not 17 players with Hutts more or less a coach these days at the moment for a professional football club that is an extremely light squad at this stage of the season...

He's cover, no more no less, he's clearly not great but I wouldn't expect him to start unless we have an injury or suspension, so it is what it is. Although I have to say the dtv interview makes him seem a right miserable sod. I know signing with a third tier Scottish team can't be the most thrilling thing in life, but FFS show some enthusiasm, it's better than the dole.

Edited by cb_diamond

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yeah of the 15 first team outfielders we have signed, it’s probably fair to say most of them would expect to play fairly regularly. Compared to the second half of last season, we had MacDonald, Watson, McCabe, Fordyce, Kerr, Paterson, Agnew, Frizzell, Easton, S McGill, G McGill, Gallagher, Smith, Afolabi and Allan who regularly appeared, so also 15 players. If we can bring in another couple of decent loan players to add to what we currently have then we might actually be in a better position in terms of numbers contributing compared to last season.

It is a small squad but the biggest difference compared to the last few years is that we don’t have guys like Paddy Pyott, Dean Ritchie or Harlain Mbayo sitting in the stand. It’s a gamble but we won’t know for a few months when injuries and suspensions start to kick in whether it was a good one or not. 

He's cover, no more no less, he's clearly not great but I wouldn't expect him to start unless we have an injury or suspension, so it is what it is. Although I have to say the dtv interview makes him seem a right miserable sod. I know signing with a third tier Scottish team can't be the most thrilling thing in life, but FFS show some enthusiasm, it's better than the dole.
Tbf to him, spending 6 months in Grangemouth has probably scarred the boy for life.

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Posters on here getting defensive,   we are top of the league (Falkirk voyeurs, you reading this). To stay there we need to strengthen now in centre mid and right mid  is it not 17 players with Hutts more or less a coach these days at the moment for a professional football club that is an extremely light squad at this stage of the season...

Realistic not defensive.

And to be utterly pedantic,  we don't play a right mid we play 3 Central mids,  3 up top , 2 wing backs 2 at cb with rhys dropping in when needed. We have 5 centre mids in the squad. 5 strikers , and let's say 5 defensive players Including our WBs. In amongst that you have 4 players that are utility and can play across 2/3 positions. 

All just facts and I've not included Cole or any of the other academy dude. 

Will you start listening to facts....Time will tell...

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I'm not defensive or defending anyone, I don't make the signings. I also said in my previous post that we were short defensively. I'm pointing out the fact that our squad is virtually the same size as one that almost won the league last year, with the likelihood of another couple of loans too. It's also a squad where literally every player (apart from Hutton) has a genuine claim to start when fit, unlike last year, which is down to McCabe taking his time and not filling out the squad for the sake of it. Again, everyone would like more great options but I'm not sure where you think these potential signings are hiding, and you seem a bit overly harsh given the points made above, and our current league position.

10 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
14 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Tbf to him, spending 6 months in Grangemouth has probably scarred the boy for life.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah of the 15 first team outfielders we have signed, it’s probably fair to say most of them would expect to play fairly regularly. Compared to the second half of last season, we had MacDonald, Watson, McCabe, Fordyce, Kerr, Paterson, Agnew, Frizzell, Easton, S McGill, G McGill, Gallagher, Smith, Afolabi and Allan who regularly appeared, so also 15 players. If we can bring in another couple of decent loan players to add to what we currently have then we might actually be in a better position in terms of numbers contributing compared to last season.

It is a small squad but the biggest difference compared to the last few years is that we don’t have guys like Paddy Pyott, Dean Ritchie or Harlain Mbayo sitting in the stand. It’s a gamble but we won’t know for a few months when injuries and suspensions start to kick in whether it was a good one or not. 

This is one of the key points, we had first team players last year who were never genuine starters. From what I've seen so far I'd be happy for any of our squad to be in the starting 11. We obviously still have more important players like Fordyce, Frizzell, Smith etc but we have no duds this year.

It's also a pretty versatile squad, the only players who can only really play one position are Fordyce, Deveney and Gallagher. Players like Frizzell, Ballantyne, McCabe, Smith, McGill, Devenny, Watson can all either play 2 positions or at least variations of the same one (attacking or defensive midfield). I think we could deal with a couple of injuries pretty well, more than that would be a stretch but that is the case for any team at this level.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

5 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Realistic not defensive.

And to be utterly pedantic,  we don't play a right mid we play 3 Central mids,  3 up top , 2 wing backs 2 at cb with rhys dropping in when needed. We have 5 centre mids in the squad. 5 strikers , and let's say 5 defensive players Including our WBs. In amongst that you have 4 players that are utility and can play across 2/3 positions. 

All just facts and I've not included Cole or any of the other academy dude. 

Will you start listening to facts....Time will tell...

Time will indeed tell,    we got ripped on both wings against Dunfermline both LJ and Gabby unable to cope with Edwards and on the other side Kyle McDonald schooled Euan D most of the game,  system changes are part and parcel of football and personnel changes need to be made if you have them,  you cannot and teams won't allow you to pass through them all season don't be naive,   nothing wrong with playing 4 4 2,  4 5 1 if the situation arises and it gets you the win or a fighting draw...

Is that not being realistic for a team that hopes to stay top of the league....