The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Our record against the strongest team in this league in the last few seasons has been poor. 2019/20 we lost our three games to Raith Rovers. 2020/21 we lost our three games against Partick Thistle. 2021/22 we lost our first two against Cove and drew the last two. Starting with a draw away to Dunfermline (who I assume will be the strongest of the nine teams that aren’t us) is a big improvement on that. Early day but looks like it’ll be us and Dunfermline at the top end of the table, though Falkirk might not be too far behind.

When Dunfermline scored I very much had the fear that this was going to be another one of those but fair play to the players, after a few minutes of panicking they got going and McCabe changing to a 3-5-2 allowed us to dominate again for a short spell which was enough to get goal. I’m not getting too carried away yet but to be unbeaten five games having played the three full-time teams, two of them away from home, is undoubtedly an excellent start.

I felt Dunfermline were the better team today but looking at these opening games, there certainly isn’t anyone who seems like they’re going to run away with the league and after being written off by a lot of people during the summer, we’re doing a good job of proving we’re still challengers.

Happy with that today , reacted well and didn't result to a Murrayball esq throw the kitchen sink at them but instead went back to playing football. Gal should have done better with his chance and I've no idea what happened at our 2 stramashes near the goal line. I think we need a left back (Euan is fine when we are dominating but struggled with Mcdonald today) and maybe another Cm ? Although again our midfield is playing some great football at times. Yes we rode our luck at times but so did they , need to deal with that long throw when they come to Broomfield. 

Sign ATS as a squad player if he's up for it and I think we will be fine for the season. 

11 points from 15 is a great start considering the fixtures, I'd say we've had the hardest 5 fixtures of any team in the league (Montrose perhaps similar but they've had 3 home games) Dunfermline, QOS, Falkirk and ourselves were the top 4 favourites going into the season and we're the only side out of the 4 to have played the other 3 so far. To come out of those games (2 of them being away) with 5 points and winning the other 2 games is excellent.

We all know about our head to heads against Cove/Partick/Raith costing us in recent years, for me the aim has to be to win the 4 game head to heads against those 3 teams this year - so at least 7 points against each. Easier said than done obviously but we've had the ideal start to do that, if we do that we wont be far away. The results so far show our first 11 is as good as anything in the league on its day, it's just a case of how our squad holds out, I'm still worried as we move into the winter we'll pick up injuries and suspensions and I don't think we'll have the depth that others have to cope.

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

11 points from 15 is a great start considering the fixtures, I'd say we've had the hardest 5 fixtures of any team in the league (Montrose perhaps similar but they've had 3 home games) Dunfermline, QOS, Falkirk and ourselves were the top 4 favourites going into the season and we're the only side out of the 4 to have played the other 3 so far. To come out of those games (2 of them being away) with 5 points and winning the other 2 games is excellent.

We all know about our head to heads against Cove/Partick/Raith costing us in recent years, for me the aim has to be to win the 4 game head to heads against those 3 teams this year - so at least 7 points against each. Easier said than done obviously but we've had the ideal start to do that, if we do that we wont be far away. The results so far show our first 11 is as good as anything in the league on its day, it's just a case of how our squad holds out, I'm still worried as we move into the winter we'll pick up injuries and suspensions and I don't think we'll have the depth that others have to cope.

With the signing window (loans apart) now only a few days away, it seems like Taylor-Sinclair is the only show in town and whilst i really don't know much about him, a left sided defender is top priority.  Deveney has done ok'ish but it was clear to see yesterday that he's not yet ready to be a regular starter.

25 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

With the signing window (loans apart) now only a few days away, it seems like Taylor-Sinclair is the only show in town and whilst i really don't know much about him, a left sided defender is top priority.  Deveney has done ok'ish but it was clear to see yesterday that he's not yet ready to be a regular starter.

We are a good team in this league playing some good stuff, need 2 or3 experienced players if we are to get out of this league though, 

I don’t think we played particularly well yesterday. Dunfermline were carrying out their high press very well. Usually we can play out of that but not yesterday. 

I think Euan Deveney set the tone yesterday with a few defensive howlers in the opening 10 minutes. Once we calmed down we actually created a few chances with Frizz taking it on the half turn. That’s where we do most damage it seems.

We were on top in the opening 20 of the first half until the goal went in. I don’t think Johnson is as commanding as Rae and that’s probably where the miscommunication came from. He kept us in it though. 

A great goal from Frizz which is the first goal the pars have conceded this league campaign. Wish we used that momentum a wee bit more. A decent result nonetheless.

I’m hoping for another left back and centre half as well as another striker to really strengthen the depth of this squad. 

15 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I don’t think we played particularly well yesterday. Dunfermline were carrying out their high press very well. Usually we can play out of that but not yesterday. 

I think Euan Deveney set the tone yesterday with a few defensive howlers in the opening 10 minutes. Once we calmed down we actually created a few chances with Frizz taking it on the half turn. That’s where we do most damage it seems.

We were on top in the opening 20 of the first half until the goal went in. I don’t think Johnson is as commanding as Rae and that’s probably where the miscommunication came from. He kept us in it though. 

A great goal from Frizz which is the first goal the pars have conceded this league campaign. Wish we used that momentum a wee bit more. A decent result nonetheless.

I’m hoping for another left back and centre half as well as another striker to really strengthen the depth of this squad. 

It's funny how everyone sees the game differently. Many Dunfermline fans are saying we were the best side they have faced but also that that's the best they have played. 

I thought we did OK despite never getting fully out of 1st gear. They utilised the wings effectively and very quickly targeted Euan D as a weak link and exploited it. The throw ins were a big play for them too but apart from that they never offered much else. 

Our goal was a peach. Gall buries that chance any other game and Dycey was unlucky with his curler. 

I don't fear anyone in this league after that yesterday. We still need 3 or 4 new bodies to bolster the squad so with the right recruitment completed we will be absolutely fine. 

Edited by Shooter McGavin

39 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It's funny how everyone sees the game differently. Many Dunfermline fans are saying we were the best side they have faced but also that that's the best they have played. 

I thought we did OK despite never getting fully out of 1st gear. They utilised the wings effectively and very quickly targeted Euan D as a weak link and exploited it. The throw ins were a big play for them too but apart from that they never offered much else. 

Our goal was a peach. Gall buries that chance any other game and Dycey was unlucky with his curler. 

I don't fear anyone in this league after that yesterday. We still need 3 or 4 new bodies to bolster the squad so with the right recruitment completed we will be absolutely fine. 

The recruitment continues to be the elephant in the room,  ATS the trialist, again I would get him signed up pronto,  very experienced player and he knows this league,    Rhys  will probably go down the loaner route,   Problem with that is when you sign a loanee,  the parent club wants the lad to get game time, to see how they play in a competitive environment,  which is absolutely fine,    Yesterday we had McMaster and Wylie on the bench, barring injury or a cameo sub appearance can we see these lads playing much,   which brings on a January issue when parent clubs have a recall option,    

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Can’t out of contract players still sign after this window closing as well? I thought the window was only for club to club transfers (which we wouldn’t be doing anyway)?

26 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Can’t out of contract players still sign after this window closing as well? I thought the window was only for club to club transfers (which we wouldn’t be doing anyway)?

Correct , some folk on here living in a parallel universe where we pay money to clubs for players. We don't,  and the loan market is still open so let's dial down the daft "the windows closing were doomed" statements. It doesn't matter to us , never has. 

What will hopefully happen is once everyone's (teams who actually buy players) squads have been confirmed this week , they will know who else the want to send out on loan. 

Also don't want to just sign a player cause he's "experienced" Falkirk are full of experienced players and it's worked really well for them. I want good players regardless of age who will actually add something to the squad. Our bench last year had Allan,  ritchie, lyons,  kerr and caves none of them are turning games bar the rare Allan goal. This year we have all strikers bar one off the mark, 2 of them on the bench, wylie , mcmaster and the young laddie. Although I'm not sold on wylie yet , that's already stronger than last year. Add another left back to the squad and defensive cover and we will be rocking. We are unbeaten after the toughest start in years , and playing lovely stuff. Will this stop all the panic posting....Time will tell....

Also , anyone noticed how much better we are at attacking set pieces this year ? 

Edited by Rossm25

Correct , some folk on here living in a parallel universe where we pay money to clubs for players. We don't,  and the loan market is still open so let's dial down the daft "the windows closing were doomed" statements. It doesn't matter to us , never has. 
What will hopefully happen is once everyone's (teams who actually buy players) squads have been confirmed this week , they will know who else the want to send out on loan. 
Also don't want to just sign a player cause he's "experienced" Falkirk are full of experienced players and it's worked really well for them. I want good players regardless of age who will actually add something to the squad. Our bench last year had Allan,  ritchie, lyons,  kerr and caves none of them are turning games bar the rare Allan goal. This year we have all strikers bar one off the mark, 2 of them on the bench, wylie , mcmaster and the young laddie. Although I'm not sold on wylie yet , that's already stronger than last year. Add another left back to the squad and defensive cover and we will be rocking. We are unbeaten after the toughest start in years , and playing lovely stuff. Will this stop all the panic posting....Time will tell....
Also , anyone noticed how much better we are at attacking set pieces this year ? 

Agree with most of this but don’t think I’ve spoken to a single airdrie fan that expects us to be paying out to other clubs for players.

21 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Point's taken but we can't wait much longer and you've got to question why players are still out of contract players at this stage with the season well underway.

Attitude, too greedy, perhaps clubs unsure of them? Also they might have missed a good pre season therefore might not be up too speed.

Hopefully the good start we've made might sway a few.

29 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Point's taken but we can't wait much longer and you've got to question why players are still out of contract players at this stage with the season well underway.

Attitude, too greedy, perhaps clubs unsure of them? Also they might have missed a good pre season therefore might not be up too speed.

Hopefully the good start we've made might sway a few.

A good defending left back and a Simon Murray  would win us the league, 

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

Agree with most of this but don’t think I’ve spoken to a single airdrie fan that expects us to be paying out to other clubs for players.

There's posts above chatting about signing windows closing this week. Just pointing out that doesn't make any difference to our business. 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

A good defending left back and a Simon Murray  would win us the league, 

Agree on the left back, Simon Murray got less goals than Smith and Gal last year...not sure a step back is the best approach 🤣

1 minute ago, Rossm25 said:

There's posts above chatting about signing windows closing this week. Just pointing out that doesn't make any difference to our business. 

I think everyone is aware of that but there are side issues to it. Injuries and suspensions are inevitable we need to crack on with signings before we get caught with our pants down.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I think everyone is aware of that but there are side issues to it. Injuries and suspensions are inevitable we need to crack on with signings before we get caught with our pants down.

I'm not saying we don't need signings just saying there's no window we need to worry about other than the loan one. The transfer window will pass and our ability and position to sign folk doesn't change. 

10 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I'm not saying we don't need signings just saying there's no window we need to worry about other than the loan one. The transfer window will pass and our ability and position to sign folk doesn't change. 

That's not my point.