The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Thought we were excellent today, especially first half and on another day we go in 2 or 3 up. Our drop off in the second half was self inflicted and despite never looking too troubled it was a bit worrying. We can't afford to be as wasteful every week.

I thought he was rubbish at Falkirk last season but we all wanted cover at centre back and left back and ideally a bit more experience too which as you say, he’s a very good fit for. Ultimately it’s Deveney’s position to lose and he’s played well so far but having cover for if his form dips and also cover at centre back is ideal.

One of my friends played at Plymouth with him and said that he’s a good player but just struggled with injuries and confidence when he was down there. You would rather have someone with his experience in the team than a 19 year old on loan from an SPL team.

RE Falkirk you could put prime R9 in the team last season and they’d make him look shit.

It is also worth keeping in mind that McCabe was pasted by QOTS fans before joining us as well.

One of my friends played at Plymouth with him and said that he’s a good player but just struggled with injuries and confidence when he was down there. You would rather have someone with his experience in the team than a 19 year old on loan from an SPL team.

RE Falkirk you could put prime R9 in the team last season and they’d make him look shit.

It is also worth keeping in mind that McCabe was pasted by QOTS fans before joining us as well.
I'm sure a Dumbarton fan on here said that Frizzell was an 'empty jersey' and a 'passenger'. It's not uncommon to see players that aren't good for one team, then come good for another.

Thought Frizzell and Jamieson were brilliant today, LJ deserves a goal and hope he grabs one soon, when he cuts in on his left he's very dangerous.

55 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

51 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'm sure a Dumbarton fan on here said that Frizzell was an 'empty jersey' and a 'passenger'. It's not uncommon to see players that aren't good for one team, then come good for another.

Definitely, as you say sometimes players just fit certain clubs better. I thought he looked finished at Falkirk but it’s hard to judge players on their time there, as it does seem to be where careers go to die no matter how good you are before it.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Frizzell obviously done enough to earn his MOTM award, and Jamieson was likewise excellent has been pointed out, but for me the star man today was Cammy Ballantyne. Attacked the flank very well in the first half and was solid against any player that dared to take him on.

Aye a good performance from the team and a good shout for young keeper seems to know the game, 3 point's in the bag well done, 

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

You made that up. From memory a few were disappointed, most were 'meh' about it. I dont recall anyone 'pasting' him. 

McCabe did well for us but worth bearing in mind he never played a single game for us with a crowd present so opinions werent really based on watching him properly.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

You made that up. From memory a few were disappointed, most were 'meh' about it. I dont recall anyone 'pasting' him. 
McCabe did well for us but worth bearing in mind he never played a single game for us with a crowd present so opinions werent really based on watching him properly.
Indeed. The worst he got was "Not too fussed he's away". I don't think anyone actually criticised him. When he signed for Airdrie in L1 I'm sure I came on to say he'd do well down here.

Nothing has changed. I'd have been happy with him at this level but wouldn't be too excited with him in the Championship. Same goes for Frizzell tbh.

My bad, can remember seeing a few posts when we were slagging QOTS off for signing Quitongo then it was pointed out McCabe wasn’t great for you lot.

I didn’t fully appreciate it until seeing the highlights but Gallagher is so much quicker to react to Jamieson’s shot coming back off the post than every other player. Everyone else is standing watching but he gets himself in between the centre backs and is straight in as soon as he sees it’s not a goal. It’s exactly what we see from him regularly but just great instinct to know where the ball is going to end up.

19 hours ago, KD1711 said:

3 in 4 for Gallagher now, love it when he scores after the pasting he took on here over the summer.

Taylor-Sinclair would be a good addition to the squad too. Experienced player with plenty of games in him at a higher level.

Fingers crossed we can get a couple more over as it has been a really good start for McCabe so far and if we can keep the momentum going it could make signing for us more attractive, a few additions like Taylor-Sinclair also help us if/when injuries and suspensions kick in.

Is it not 4 in 3? Already beaten Jordan Allan's goal tally for last season ;) 

I must admit I thought Taylor-Sinclair was rotten for Falkirk last season. Looked 'done' in that 3-2 home win in particular. But that being said, the player we probably need the most is one who can play centre-half and left-back and he fills that gap. He also was a very good player a few years ago. I always rated him highly when he was at Thistle and I trust McCabe's judgement based on the signings, performances and results we've seen so far. If he thinks he can get something out of him then that's fair enough for me. It's the current defences' jerseys to lose, however. He wouldn't be the first player to leave Falkirk and markedly improve! 

Cracking ball from Watson (who was much better yesterday than the last couple of weeks) and run and finish from Gabby for the first. And as said above Gal's reaction for the second is excellent. Good work in the buildup from Gal and Jamieson too. No idea how Jamieson (and Smith) missed his chance practically on the goal-line but he'll get his goal soon. Nice to see Wylie get a few more minutes yesterday. Thought he had some nice touches.  I think Johnson has made an outstanding save in every game now bar maybe Peterhead. The boy looks a real prospect. Looking forward to next week! Our record recently at East End Park is pretty good...

Edited by airdrieman

If you DON’T count playoff games as league games we’re now 24 unbeaten in the league and still haven’t lost a league match in 2022.

If you DO count playoff games as league games we’ve had one 90 minute loss in 28 games, which came away to Montrose.

Haven’t lost in 90 minutes at home in any competitions since November.

8 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Owen Moffat, Ewan Otoo and another who may have been Tobi Oluwayemi all of Celtic taking in the match yesterday. Possibly just supporting their team mate Ben Wylie.

They were all at the Falkirk home game too. Maybe if they can’t convince Moffat to take a strip they’ve given him a season ticket instead? 

2 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Owen Moffat, Ewan Otoo and another who may have been Tobi Oluwayemi all of Celtic taking in the match yesterday. Possibly just supporting their team mate Ben Wylie.

Saw them arriving under chief Steward care in the family friendly section just after ko. Hope they enjoyed it!