The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

I think I read Robbie Crawford was training with a team in the division above. 

Not many standouts in that list, if any at all. 

We'd all like experienced additions who are good players and who fit the style of play Rhys is committed to, who also happen to be free and available and who have no better offers at higher levels, but wanting them doesn't make them actually, y'know, exist. 

We cannae manufacture them out of thin air and nobody in those lists is the sort to set any hearts a-racing, I don't think. 

If it is to be loanees, then we've until end of September I think, don't we? 

It's clear that Rhys is getting the benefit of the doubt over signings, but at some point he will have to sign let's be honest bench warmers,  For whatever reason signings haven't been forthconing,    We all thought the deadline  would be the end of the pre season group tournament and be ready for the league,      Now its cacceptable  to ki c k the can down the road to the end of September,   we have no play squad wise and results could downturn pretty quickly.....    We all wanted QUALITY loanees have we got them.......Jury is still out ...

On 15/08/2022 at 10:25, Skyline Drifter said:

7 days, at a time.

45 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Regarding the Goalkeeper once again really poor communication from the club announced him on a 7 day loan and he's played the last 3 games for us and not heard a jot about how long he's here for, don't think it's too much to ask to keep us updated with these little details. 

7 days. At a time. Renewed each week if Josh Rae isn't fit, which he's nowhere near to being. What you're effectively asking for here is a return time on Josh Rae which they probably can't predict exactly yet.

30 minutes ago, Passionate said:

It's clear that Rhys is getting the benefit of the doubt over signings, but at some point he will have to sign let's be honest bench warmers,  For whatever reason signings haven't been forthconing,    We all thought the deadline  would be the end of the pre season group tournament and be ready for the league,      Now its cacceptable  to ki c k the can down the road to the end of September,   we have no play squad wise and results could downturn pretty quickly.....    We all wanted QUALITY loanees have we got them.......Jury is still out ...

To be fair I don’t think anyone is signing we’re fine to wait until the end of September, we need players in as soon as possible for competition and to improve the squad. It’s just that if we are struggling to bring in key targets then while that’s clearly not ideal, it’s not the end of the world if we’re still sitting here at the end of August with the same squad.

While results have been good on the field, I don't think it's the right approach to treat lack of depth in the squad as anything less than quite concerning at this point.

Some people seem comfortable for any future signings to be deferred till next summer by the looks of things,  but with few options on the bench and no cover for injuries and suspensions it will really damage the clubs ability to accomplish anything with this season.

15 minutes ago, G_H said:

While results have been good on the field, I don't think it's the right approach to treat lack of depth in the squad as anything less than quite concerning at this point.

Some people seem comfortable for any future signings to be deferred till next summer by the looks of things,  but with few options on the bench and no cover for injuries and suspensions it will really damage the clubs ability to accomplish anything with this season.

True words, it's certainly getting  worrying. Not easy to judge on  Sat because  of the heat, they seemed to change the game with their subs, we did not improve  any with ours, not complaining  about result but  would have been good to stay with Dunfermline  on points, even some rumours  on new players would give us something, 

I'd rather keep waiting than sign filler - we need the players signed to make a contribution. We've got a squad of 16, not including Murray Johnson. 

It looks like we're going match by match at the minute to buy time until either the right (loan?) players become available or until McCabe's hand is forced by an injury/suspension. 

We're probably only a couple of bodies short of where we'd want to be to avoid having players signed just to pad out the squad (see Ritchie, Pyott for example) and McCabe clearly doesn't want to go down that road. 

There's a chance we could have a disaster (say Fordyce and McCabe both injured in the same game or something) but given we've started the season relatively well, and have a fair degree of consistency in the starting 11 anyway I'd rather hold on for a McInroy than rush out for a Caves. 

On an unrelated note, I see Call Gall is 7 away from 50 Airdrie goals, and 2 off the Prunty/McLaren post-liquidation record - only a matter of time now surely? If he keeps up the current 1 goal a game record in the league he'll have topped them by Halloween!

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

To be fair I don’t think anyone is signing we’re fine to wait until the end of September, we need players in as soon as possible for competition and to improve the squad. It’s just that if we are struggling to bring in key targets then while that’s clearly not ideal, it’s not the end of the world if we’re still sitting here at the end of August with the same squad.

AYE AND NO WORSE  THAT 2 POINTS OFF THE TOP. 

7 hours ago, G_H said:

could try for someone like Scott Allan who is premier league material but clubs wont touch due to a health condition:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62543432

Though it's defenders we really need at the moment (I'm assuming we are extending the Hibs guy in regards to goalkeeper?)

I’d be delighted if we got Allan in but I’d be slightly worried whether or not he’d be able to cope with playing at a high intensity which McCabe seems to favour.

Good start to the season but we absolutely need some bodies in sooner rather than later. 

18 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’d be delighted if we got Allan in but I’d be slightly worried whether or not he’d be able to cope with playing at a high intensity which McCabe seems to favour.

Good start to the season but we absolutely need some bodies in sooner rather than later. 

Class player, out of our budget I would think, 

13 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Not to get carried away but I’m not convinced we’ll ever sign a player again. I can already see us in 2034 fielding a greying team of McCabe, Fordyce, Watson, Gallagher and co.

The name mentioned a couple of weeks back was Dylan Tait from Hibs on loan,  this is the same player who was loaned out to Ki!marnock who won the Championship last season, can you see hi bs or indeed the player wanting to drop to League 1,  I would be very surprised if he,did,    which begs the question are we aiming too high in the players we are trying to sign...... 

The name mentioned a couple of weeks back was Dylan Tait from Hibs on loan,  this is the same player who was loaned out to Ki!marnock who won the Championship last season, can you see hi bs or indeed the player wanting to drop to League 1,  I would be very surprised if he,did,    which begs the question are we aiming too high in the players we are trying to sign...... 

Normally you would probably be right and he’d be a prime candidate for a loan in the Championship. But he was out for the latter part of the season injured and maybe getting eased back in, possibly looking at lower league for that reason? But maybe not. Who knows, but I like that we are looking higher up for loan players tbh. To compete with Falkirk and Dunfermline we need more quality in. Still a ways to go yet for loan signings. Just hope the points keep coming in the meantime.