The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

47 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

Honestly, give it up.

Last post, as I'm as done with this as you are. The only thing I'm actually "super offended" (to use your terminology) about, is that yourself and Kenny are somehow acting like I'm being some hysterical riot here by calling ALL of this bullshit out. I get you've made the point you were offended by it at the time. But your subsequent "were you even at Gretna" sentiment suggests that that would somehow have made any difference. It wouldn't. Opposition fans have been asking for years why Airdrie fans don't call out the crap behaviour of other Airdrie fans. This is why.

Edited by cb_diamond

Guest Saneposter
2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Last post, as I'm as done with this as you are. The only thing I'm actually "super offended" (to use your terminology) about, is that yourself and Kenny are somehow acting like I'm being some hysterical riot here by calling ALL of this bullshit out. I get you've made the point you were offended by it at the time. But your subsequent "were you even at Gretna" sentiment suggests that that would somehow have made any difference. It wouldn't. Opposition fans have been asking for years why Airdrie fans don't call out the crap behaviour of other Airdrie fans. This is why.

C7D6C3C7-A4D4-4A62-A086-58934B1BE1DA.png

13 hours ago, The clean living guy said:

I know you want something to be super offended at but no one has justified it and all would agree it was horrendous. 

For the sake of your blood pressure try to move on.

The OP about the incident seemed full of justification tbh, and the reaction of most of the Airdrie posters over the last couple of pages is why you've got such a rancid reputation. 

Fwiw the term "coloured" is quite simply not correct, no harm no foul if you didn't know but it shouldn't be used. 

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The OP about the incident seemed full of justification tbh, and the reaction of most of the Airdrie posters over the last couple of pages is why you've got such a rancid reputation. 

Fwiw the term "coloured" is quite simply not correct, no harm no foul if you didn't know but it shouldn't be used. 

Condemning it gives us a rancid reputation?

It also wasn't me used the term 'coloured'

14 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Murray Johnson initially was a 7 day emegency loan which has obviously been extended but for how long? 

7 days, at a time.

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I always thought Emergency Loans had to be for a minimum of 28 days, and they could go up to 3 months. I know the club initially said 7 days but that seems weird to me unless the rules have changed. The fact he's continued to play for 3 weeks suggests it was for at least 28 days. Hopefully someone else knows more about this than me and can confirm the normal length.

Depending how long Rae is out for it may have to turn from an Emergency Loan to a standard one if both clubs wanted/allow.

Back in the old pre-window days 20 years ago loans (not emergency loans, just any loan) were for 28 days minimum and did have a maximum of 3 months. These days 'normal' loans run from window to window as a minimum, though can be season long if desired. They can't be any shorter than that.

Quite distinctly there's an 'Emergency Loan' system for goalkeepers only which run for a maximum of 7 days supported by a Doctor's certificate but can be renewed for successive 7 day periods as long as the situation still exists. Murray Johnson's either on a succession of 7 day emergency loans or they've now extended it to run to January as one of your allowable 5 loans inside the normal system. It has to be one or the other.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

7 days, at a time.

Back in the old pre-window days 20 years ago loans (not emergency loans, just any loan) were for 28 days minimum and did have a maximum of 3 months. These days 'normal' loans run from window to window as a minimum, though can be season long if desired. They can't be any shorter than that.

Quite distinctly there's an 'Emergency Loan' system for goalkeepers only which run for a maximum of 7 days supported by a Doctor's certificate but can be renewed for successive 7 day periods as long as the situation still exists. Murray Johnson's either on a succession of 7 day emergency loans or they've now extended it to run to January as one of your allowable 5 loans inside the normal system. It has to be one or the other.

Thanks for the info, didn't realise that.

It ought to go without saying that wearing a fucking Klan outfit is utterly moronic and despicable, no matter what 'context' anyone chooses to frame it in. 

It really is bonkers to think anyone would have thought differently as recently as 2006, nevermind today. Absurd and depressing and nobody but nobody should justify it. Take away the fact some rag fictionalised a motive behind it, that makes no difference to the heinous fuckery of actually doing it at all. 

Can only hope anyone who did that has grown leaps and bounds as a person in the intervening 16 years, and if not, I hope they don't come to our games, or vote, or take any meaningful part in society frankly, because that's just fucking rank rotten conduct and utterly, utterly brain-dead.

It ought to go without saying that wearing a fucking Klan outfit is utterly moronic and despicable, no matter what 'context' anyone chooses to frame it in. 
It really is bonkers to think anyone would have thought differently as recently as 2006, nevermind today. Absurd and depressing and nobody but nobody should justify it. Take away the fact some rag fictionalised a motive behind it, that makes no difference to the heinous fuckery of actually doing it at all. 
Can only hope anyone who did that has grown leaps and bounds as a person in the intervening 16 years, and if not, I hope they don't come to our games, or vote, or take any meaningful part in society frankly, because that's just fucking rank rotten conduct and utterly, utterly brain-dead.

Doesn’t seem to matter what some elements of our support do. There’s always someone willing to try and excuse the inexcusable. Never understood what is to be gained from damaging the club you claim to support in this way..

Hopefully everyone involved Saturday is recovering well from the exhaustion of the conditions (us in the stands anawl, not just the players, that heat was oppressive stuff) and that we can continue this good start come the weekend. 

Nobody seemed to pick up any knocks so, with a fair wind, we should be able to go same again. Presume McMaster is getting closer and closer so that will make a difference to our options in midfield, but like everyone of course I'm eager to see the squad complemented. As mentioned previously though, we were still in the market end of September last season and most teams are likely to be in a similar boat to us, albeit yes Queens did have a larger bench than we did. 

I'm still happy to wait for quality and hopefully keeping the positive results going helps us all stay patient. I don't think anyone is going to go on 20+ unbeaten runs this season, so despite Dunfermline having the perfect start, I don't expect anyone is running away with it this year. 

Alloa haven't had the best of starts and we did well against them last season, but they'll be wanting to bounce back after a bruising scoreline. Hopefully Gal gets another tap in opportunity or two. 3 goals already. Desperate for Jamieson to get his goal, he has looked excellent, and Frizz is playing so so well. He got an absolute screamer of a goal in our first game versus Alloa last year, so if he wants to repeat that, that'd be just fine (Gal also got a tap in that night, funnily enough). 

17 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Thank you!!!! Exactly the point I was getting crap for yesterday from multiple posters.

Hopefully everyone involved Saturday is recovering well from the exhaustion of the conditions (us in the stands anawl, not just the players, that heat was oppressive stuff) and that we can continue this good start come the weekend. 
Nobody seemed to pick up any knocks so, with a fair wind, we should be able to go same again. Presume McMaster is getting closer and closer so that will make a difference to our options in midfield, but like everyone of course I'm eager to see the squad complemented. As mentioned previously though, we were still in the market end of September last season and most teams are likely to be in a similar boat to us, albeit yes Queens did have a larger bench than we did. 
I'm still happy to wait for quality and hopefully keeping the positive results going helps us all stay patient. I don't think anyone is going to go on 20+ unbeaten runs this season, so despite Dunfermline having the perfect start, I don't expect anyone is running away with it this year. 
Alloa haven't had the best of starts and we did well against them last season, but they'll be wanting to bounce back after a bruising scoreline. Hopefully Gal gets another tap in opportunity or two. 3 goals already. Desperate for Jamieson to get his goal, he has looked excellent, and Frizz is playing so so well. He got an absolute screamer of a goal in our first game versus Alloa last year, so if he wants to repeat that, that'd be just fine (Gal also got a tap in that night, funnily enough). 

I hope we do tie up the remaining signings sooner rather than later. Need a bit more quality in defence if we’re to play to our potential as a team. Ideally another centre half. I prefer Watson on the right wing. I don’t really want to see just more loans or teenagers. Rhys has mentioned two coming in during a couple of interviews but still waiting. We got away with it on Saturday.

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

I hope we do tie up the remaining signings sooner rather than later. Need a bit more quality in defence if we’re to play to our potential as a team. Ideally another centre half. I prefer Watson on the right wing. I don’t really want to see just more loans or teenagers. Rhys has mentioned two coming in during a couple of interviews but still waiting. We got away with it on Saturday.

Aye, sooner the better not just to have more of a bench but also to allow more time for players to bed in to the squad and become accustomed to their teammates, surroundings etc. Talked about this before but most signings tend to be for a year, so the difference between that and a loan isn't gigantic, albeit yeah, loan players can be recalled or go elsewhere as we saw with McInroy. Loans don't bother me at all really. Are there really many quality free agents still unattached? 

I actually think Watson has had a really strong start to the season, but we do need other centre backs if for no other reason than we are currently playing the only ones we have, with Rhys dovetailing between a third CB and deep midfield during games. Also means we need another left back on the basis we only have the one in Euan D, another guy who has started the league season well but is an injury away from leaving us short there. If Cammy were to get an injury then Watson, who as you say is strong at right back, fits in, but that'd probably necessitate a central defensive partnership of Dycey and Rhys (albeit that worked well last year so hardly the end of life as we know it). 

All that being said, really like the business we have done, including both retention from last year and good additions thus far. Gives me lots of confidence that the players we are bringing in and will bring in will be worthy additions to a team that have done so well over these initial games. A strong start that has us rightly all buzzin' for matchdays.

Aye, sooner the better not just to have more of a bench but also to allow more time for players to bed in to the squad and become accustomed to their teammates, surroundings etc. Talked about this before but most signings tend to be for a year, so the difference between that and a loan isn't gigantic, albeit yeah, loan players can be recalled or go elsewhere as we saw with McInroy. Loans don't bother me at all really. Are there really many quality free agents still unattached? 
I actually think Watson has had a really strong start to the season, but we do need other centre backs if for no other reason than we are currently playing the only ones we have, with Rhys dovetailing between a third CB and deep midfield during games. Also means we need another left back on the basis we only have the one in Euan D, another guy who has started the league season well but is an injury away from leaving us short there. If Cammy were to get an injury then Watson, who as you say is strong at right back, fits in, but that'd probably necessitate a central defensive partnership of Dycey and Rhys (albeit that worked well last year so hardly the end of life as we know it). 
All that being said, really like the business we have done, including both retention from last year and good additions thus far. Gives me lots of confidence that the players we are bringing in and will bring in will be worthy additions to a team that have done so well over these initial games. A strong start that has us rightly all buzzin' for matchdays.

Here's a list of all the players in league 1 and the championship who are without a club. Some might not be 100% accurate and might have gotten a club but if are going down the route of signing a few experienced guys. I'd imagine one or two might be on these lists.

Does anyone think we should go for any of these players on the lists? What's everyone's thoughts?2edf3d31bec18d60152b0076b48f60d9.jpg1678162bb5d3b7c0d328a667ec7d0613.jpge1756742812d416bab9b96bbd633716b.jpg0dcabf03e493b67ba23cd45c71feb06c.jpg

14 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Here's a list of all the players in league 1 and the championship who are without a club. Some might not be 100% accurate and might have gotten a club but if are going down the route of signing a few experienced guys. I'd imagine one or two might be on these lists.

Does anyone think we should go for any of these players on the lists? What's everyone's thoughts?

You could make some team out of that lot. Eoghan Stokes and Patrick Pyott, what a strikeforce!

To be honest, there aren’t many names on there that seem realistic that I’d want, although admittedly I don’t know too much about the non-Scottish guys from the Championship clubs. For positions that we’re looking to strengthen, Dunfermline seem keen on Robbie Crawford and Jamie Hamilton has signed for Hamilton again. Other than the long running Charlie Telfer saga and Leon Jones, who McCabe presumably doesn’t fancy, not much else jumps out as being great signings. I’m expecting another couple of young players on loan and maybe a permanent signing too but I do think it’ll mostly be younger players who will fit into our high energy, pressing team.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

You could make some team out of that lot. Eoghan Stokes and Patrick Pyott, what a strikeforce!

To be honest, there aren’t many names on there that seem realistic that I’d want, although admittedly I don’t know too much about the non-Scottish guys from the Championship clubs. For positions that we’re looking to strengthen, Dunfermline seem keen on Robbie Crawford and Jamie Hamilton has signed for Hamilton again. Other than the long running Charlie Telfer saga and Leon Jones, who McCabe presumably doesn’t fancy, not much else jumps out as being great signings. I’m expecting another couple of young players on loan and maybe a permanent signing too but I do think it’ll mostly be younger players who will fit into our high energy, pressing team.

I think you're right but I do worry about the depth of squad in defence. Through suspensions and injuries it's not that uncommon for teams to have 3 or 4 defenders missing at the same time, I just don't know how we would cope in that sort of situation. 

Last season in defence we started with Fordyce, Watson, Kerr, Lyons, Walker, Quitongo and Wardrop. With the likes of McCabe, McGill, Ritchie and MacDonald who could cover. We still had problems. 

Other than McCabe there's not really anybody further forward that sticks out as being able to cover at the back if needed. 

We're really relying on our defence to stay injury and suspension free. 

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Does anyone think we should go for any of these players on the lists? What's everyone's thoughts?2edf3d31bec18d60152b0076b48f60d9.jpg1678162bb5d3b7c0d328a667ec7d0613.jpge1756742812d416bab9b96bbd633716b.jpg0dcabf03e493b67ba23cd45c71feb06c.jpg

I think I read Robbie Crawford was training with a team in the division above. 

Not many standouts in that list, if any at all. 

We'd all like experienced additions who are good players and who fit the style of play Rhys is committed to, who also happen to be free and available and who have no better offers at higher levels, but wanting them doesn't make them actually, y'know, exist. 

We cannae manufacture them out of thin air and nobody in those lists is the sort to set any hearts a-racing, I don't think. 

If it is to be loanees, then we've until end of September I think, don't we? 

34 minutes ago, G_H said:

could try for someone like Scott Allan who is premier league material but clubs wont touch due to a health condition:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62543432

Though it's defenders we really need at the moment (I'm assuming we are extending the Hibs guy in regards to goalkeeper?)

Regarding the Goalkeeper once again really poor communication from the club announced him on a 7 day loan and he's played the last 3 games for us and not heard a jot about how long he's here for, don't think it's too much to ask to keep us updated with these little details.