The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Tough conditions yesterday. Glad we managed to escape with a draw and allows us to move onto the home game at Alloa with the same confidence and unbeaten run going. 

As always, fingers crossed for some signings this week. A stronger bench might have helped yesterday in terms of players running out of steam quicker due to the weather. Fair to say that the QoTS subs had a significant impact on how well they came into the game in the second half. 

25 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Tough conditions yesterday. Glad we managed to escape with a draw and allows us to move onto the home game at Alloa with the same confidence and unbeaten run going. 

As always, fingers crossed for some signings this week. A stronger bench might have helped yesterday in terms of players running out of steam quicker due to the weather. Fair to say that the QoTS subs had a significant impact on how well they came into the game in the second half. 

Whilst most fans have supported Rhys on his to signing policy, time is now running out and perhaps he will need to look again at his B list of players.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Of course they are but the fact remains whoever made the comment has not been identified by the police or the club. I wonder if the player and his Dad who alledgedly reported the incident are appearing at the tribunal, awkward if he's still at the club.

It's possible but probably only in the context of establishing whether the club contacted the person who witnessed the alleged event for their account and what info was shared.

On 12/08/2022 at 23:02, Ludo*1 said:

What is the script with the KKK incident in 2006? Was it in reference to something? Really struggling to wrap my head around something so blatantly offensive and racist at a Scottish League One football match.

A really stupid joke that went badly wrong.

There had been a fancy dress party the night before and some of the folk decided to wear their costumes on the bus down to Gretna the next day. A few folk were dressed as KKK. A couple of them were white and one was coloured. 

There had been a few photos taken before the game. Including some Asian tourists, a wedding party etc.. The cops were laughing with the coloured lad wearing the costume but told them not to wear the costumes to the game. 

The Daily Star got a hold of a photo of some other lads wearing the masks on the bus and then made up some story about the folk wearing the costumes at the game to target some coloured lad who was on the bench from Gretna. 

It was stupid but they didn't do what the Daily Star claimed. 

18 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

A really stupid joke that went badly wrong.

There had been a fancy dress party the night before and some of the folk decided to wear their costumes on the bus down to Gretna the next day. A few folk were dressed as KKK. A couple of them were white and one was coloured. 

There had been a few photos taken before the game. Including some Asian tourists, a wedding party etc.. The cops were laughing with the coloured lad wearing the costume but told them not to wear the costumes to the game. 

The Daily Star got a hold of a photo of some other lads wearing the masks on the bus and then made up some story about the folk wearing the costumes at the game to target some coloured lad who was on the bench from Gretna. 

It was stupid but they didn't do what the Daily Star claimed. 

This is a horrendous post on every conceivable level. 

Wearing KKK garb is never acceptable. It's not funny, it's not a joke, it's not banter. 

The "coloured guy" (that's not the terminology btw) angle just makes it smack of "I can't be a racist, I know a black guy" mentality. 

None of this was a misjudgement. 

"The daily Star got some photos". They were wearing KKK costumes in public. It's pretty newsworthy.

It's been a blight on our club for years. There is no justifying it.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Feel like another centre half is needed quickly watson had an absolute stinker yesterday imo

I think he’s been our weakest player for the last two games to be honest. I like him and think him and Fordyce are fine for this level but as you say, centre back is the main area we need more competition. McCabe is the only other option in there and as we saw when he went off yesterday, we lack anyone else who can come in and play that holding role if he’s not in there, though I suppose McMaster might be able to do that.

44 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think he’s been our weakest player for the last two games to be honest. I like him and think him and Fordyce are fine for this level but as you say, centre back is the main area we need more competition. McCabe is the only other option in there and as we saw when he went off yesterday, we lack anyone else who can come in and play that holding role if he’s not in there, though I suppose McMaster might be able to do that.

I feel a lot more confident with McCabe at the back with Dycey as they both suit each other well there feel Watson is better in a back 5 as he can push himself up the park certain occasions like st mirren in the cup 

Griffin Sabatini has played the last 2 games for Berwick Rangers as a trialist and looked good, but what do you make of him?

I think we'd like to sign him. 

Edited by Redcar

9 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Griffin Sabatini has played the last 2 games for Berwick Rangers as a trialist and looked good, but what do you make of him?

He had a couple of really good games where he looked like a really classy midfielder at this level but was absolutely anonymous the rest of the time. He played fairly regularly in the first half of 20/21 for us, when we were average at best, and then dropped out of the time completely when we signed Kyle Turner and went on a great run. He wasn't terrible, I've seen far worse players and he did have a couple of great games but it's telling that he hasn't been anywhere near a similar level since leaving Airdrie. It's hard to tell what impact he'd make in the Lowland League but I'm sure he'd be fine there.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Left back as we only have Deveney who i'm still unsure of and no one to cover. Yes Ballantyne can but a genuine leftie/centre back required.

22 minutes ago, Redcar said:

To me he was a neat and tidy defensive midfielder, had no interest in an attacking sense, no real pace, although he played during the covid season....

Murray didn't fancy him, he was clearly a Stuart Millar sign ing...

5 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

This is a horrendous post on every conceivable level. 

Wearing KKK garb is never acceptable. It's not funny, it's not a joke, it's not banter. 

The "coloured guy" (that's not the terminology btw) angle just makes it smack of "I can't be a racist, I know a black guy" mentality. 

None of this was a misjudgement. 

"The daily Star got some photos". They were wearing KKK costumes in public. It's pretty newsworthy.

It's been a blight on our club for years. There is no justifying it.

He was telling you the story. Not justifying it.

The Daily Star story had it as targeting a Gretna player, which it wasn't. 

And before you think I trying to justify anything I thought it was horrendous at the time and nothing has changed. 

7 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst most fans have supported Rhys on his to signing policy, time is now running out and perhaps he will need to look again at his B list of players.

Agree,    he appears to be stubborn in what he wants,  which is fine if you can deliver,   a minimum of 2 sign ings have been mooted by Rhys,   he seems to aim high on who he wants,   we need competition and cover for positions,  we rode our luck yesterday with our lack of bench,   Hopefully something happens this week,  

Any more ITK talk,     

17 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

He was telling you the story. Not justifying it.

The Daily Star story had it as targeting a Gretna player, which it wasn't. 

And before you think I trying to justify anything I thought it was horrendous at the time and nothing has changed. 

He called it a "joke" directly, he pointed out that one of the racists was a "coloured lad", which should be an immaterial detail here, but was stressed twice within the "retelling". He made it clear that the good folks of Gretna thought that people dressing up as a horrendous group of racist murderers and roaming their town was all a tremendous wheeze and not in any way abhorrent behaviour. He then went in on a newspaper who while doubtlessly adding their own sensationalist hyperbole had decided to report on, y'know, a bunch of people dressing as a group of racists for TWO days consecutively and roaming about thinking this was a great laugh.

So yeah. Forgive me for not exactly thinking "this seems a neutral, facts based retelling of one of our clubs darkest hours" with this version of the events. 

Edited by cb_diamond

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

He called it a "joke" directly, he pointed out that one of the racists was a "coloured lad", which should be an immaterial detail here, but was stressed twice within the "retelling". He made it clear that the good folks of Gretna thought that people dressing up as a horrendous group of racist murderers and roaming their town was all a tremendous wheeze and not in any way abhorrent behaviour. He then went in on a newspaper who while doubtlessly adding their own sensationalist hyperbole had decided to report on, y'know, a bunch of people dressing as a group of racists for TWO days consecutively and roaming about thinking this was a great laugh.

So yeah. Forgiven me for not exactly thinking "this seems a neutral, facts based retelling of one of our clubs darkest hours" with this version of the events.

If you're going to quote please do it in the correct context as "stupid joke" has a different meaning to "joke" to me

32 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Left back as we only have Deveney who i'm still unsure of and no one to cover. Yes Ballantyne can but a genuine leftie/centre back required.

Yeah I agree, one player who can cover both would be ideal but if we only bring in another two then those positions would be my priority. I think a centre back is more important as Scott McGill showed in the first half of last season that a good team can get away with someone filling in there, whereas I’d worry if Fordyce was out for more than a game or two. Ideally we’ll get both in though with perhaps another midfielder too. 

I suppose it’s worth noting that we have until the end of September for loans, though obviously we will need more options sooner than that. Kerr McInroy only signed on 30th September last season, so it is possible for guys to come in and have a real impact but the chances of anyone as good as him signing seem slim. I think we only have two loan spots left, possibly one if Murray Johnson’s loan is extended beyond the current emergency one, so it’s important we get these last signings right.

13 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

So yeah. Forgive me for not exactly thinking "this seems a neutral, facts based retelling of one of our clubs darkest hours" with this version of the events. 

One of the clubs darkest hours? Are you new to supporting Airdrie?