The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, AdamAnt said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that as a percentage of overall support Airdrie definitely have the highest number of bigoted/racist supporters but if the details in the press are to be believed this certainly looks like it’s turning into a witch hunt. 

No doubt there is an element in our support, I would never deny that as much as it saddens me, and hopefully the club continue to take the actions they have been taking to weed them out (banning the guys after cove, banning the guy at firhill, making clear in statements that it's unwelcome and actively being combated) but I'm not convinced by your argument here at all. 

I think there's a few contenders for that particular crown.

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Scott McGill to Kelty going by their hint on Twitter. 

Got the seal-the-deal goal against Motherwell on debut, scored a goal versus Falkirk that capped a marvelous team move, played a big part in an excellent season, including being moved about the pitch as needed in his first taste of senior football; good luck to him. Glad players like him are not wasting time in the lowland league as part of a colt team. 

What is the script with the KKK incident in 2006? Was it in reference to something? Really struggling to wrap my head around something so blatantly offensive and racist at a Scottish League One football match.

On 11/08/2022 at 14:20, AndyDD said:

Is the tribunal about the idiotic behaviour of some Airdrie supporters surrounding Yaxley-Lennon, back before Paul Hetherington was involved with Airdrie? 

Is the tribunal about the idiotic behaviour of some airdrie supporters at Gretna... in 2006, before the current owner or board were involved?

Is the Tribunal about the Airdrie supporters at all? 

Or is the tribunal actually about the club investigation into the accusations of racist abuse, and whether the club itself discriminated against Quitongo? 

I'm fairly confident it is that last one, not the other three. 

On that basis, Yaxley-Lennon, Gretna, the Trump flag, none of that has ANY bearing on the actual issue the tribunal is about. 

Unless the suggestion is that the people who dressed up in the Klan outfits are now the ones who conducted the investigation, or the people who got selfies with Yaxley-Lennon are the ones who conducted the investigation, then they are absolutely irrelevant to the tribunal which is currently ongoing. 

You're not daft, you must be able to recognise that. 

Those contemptible episodes, embarrassing though they are, have zero to do with the current board, current owner, and most of all, the current tribunal, which is about the investigation, and the investigation only, from last year.

18 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

So Quitongo and his brief are trying to insinuate that the "entire club" is racist?

Lawyers doing what lawyers do. Throw as much shit at someone as you are allowed to get away with, hope that some sticks and then make all sorts of defamatory allegations against witnesses in your summing up. 

If they can make it seem that there is indeed a history of racist behaviour amongst Airdrie supporters then it stands to ground that it's not beyond belief that it continues to occur therefore there may indeed have been racist abuse directed at the claimant. Then the lack of any kind of record of an "investigation" may indeed make a sympathetic head of tribunal agree that poor wee Rico was indeed discriminated against.

Lawyers doing what lawyers do. Throw as much shit at someone as you are allowed to get away with, hope that some sticks and then make all sorts of defamatory allegations against witnesses in your summing up. 

If they can make it seem that there is indeed a history of racist behaviour amongst Airdrie supporters then it stands to ground that it's not beyond belief that it continues to occur therefore there may indeed have been racist abuse directed at the claimant. Then the lack of any kind of record of an "investigation" may indeed make a sympathetic head of tribunal agree that poor wee Rico was indeed discriminated against.

Yeah I think the difference here is that this isn’t a criminal trial. It’s a employment tribunal and it’s terms should only be what happened during the terms of his employment and whether he was discriminated against. Hopefully it wraps up soon and the judgement gives a much clearer picture of what happened during that few weeks as right now it’s just selective media snippets.

Yeah I think the difference here is that this isn’t a criminal trial. It’s a employment tribunal and it’s terms should only be what happened during the terms of his employment and whether he was discriminated against. Hopefully it wraps up soon and the judgement gives a much clearer picture of what happened during that few weeks as right now it’s just selective media snippets.

Agree.

I presume the back stories are to set the scene/give context to suggest that given the history of those events, it warranted a full/proper investigation. Which then leads into how that was actually conducted.

20 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I wonder if the lack of a really full squad is tied to any potential judgement. If the club could be on the line for a payout then surely that would have a knock on effect for the budget this year.

It’s my understanding that the club should have insurance in place to cover any potential damage costs

23 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

He was attending the trial of Mark Meechan (the Coatbridge guy and now very succesful youtuber who had the nazi pug dog) and decided to go to the local football match.

Pretty sure that he was invited to attend the match by a few regulars, according to a P&B post at the time by someone who knows them.  Possibly the same 4 - 5 guys who then appeared in a video on social media, in which they were standing with him and singing his name.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Well, in that case GET THE PEN OOT! 😂

Been a lot of West Ham  rubbish again, taking some time to get the 2 Irish boys registered. We have made a great start and every one at club playing well, lack of numbers could be a major issue, 

M'mm don't think he was invited but regardless, are we mean't to check criminal records at the turnstiles before someone enters a football stadium. Ludicrous that this was brought up, nasty bunch them briefs with the exception of the one on here of course.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

M'mm don't think he was invited but regardless, are we mean't to check criminal records at the turnstiles before someone enters a football stadium. Ludicrous that this was brought up, nasty bunch them briefs with the exception of the one on here of course.

Maybe you have more direct knowledge than the guy who posted the explanation on P&B but that's pretty much exactly what he said - they invited Robinson to accompany them to the game.  He turned up for the 1st half and then left.

I don't recall anyone claiming that he should have been barred from the game but folk did ask why a handful of Airdrie fans were so excited by his presence that they felt the need to post a video in which they sing about it.  Some inferred, not unreasonably, that it was because they also supported the right wing politics for which Robinson is a famous proponent.  Some claimed, much less reasonably, that this was representative of the views of the club and the support in general.

Anyhoo, given that everyone else is doing it I'll speculate too by suggesting that Quitongo's lawyer is referencing those incidents to demonstrate that there are reasonable grounds for believing the allegations of racist behaviour in the support at the QP game were true, enabling the tribunal to then focus on the question of whether PH dealt with the situation in a way that was fair to Quitongo.

16 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Anyhoo, given that everyone else is doing it I'll speculate too by suggesting that Quitongo's lawyer is referencing those incidents to demonstrate that there are reasonable grounds for believing the allegations of racist behaviour in the support at the QP game were true, enabling the tribunal to then focus on the question of whether PH dealt with the situation in a way that was fair to Quitongo.

Of course they are but the fact remains whoever made the comment has not been identified by the police or the club. I wonder if the player and his Dad who alledgedly reported the incident are appearing at the tribunal, awkward if he's still at the club.