The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The ramifications of this have serious consequences for PH and the club. What if PH is found guilty of racism, would he then be deemed a fit and proper person to run a club? Would he just sell up, saying feck this?

Legally I’m not sure anyone can be found guilty or not guilty at a employment tribunal - it’s not a criminal trial. It’s more about whether someone was discriminated against and settling loss of earnings.

Maybe someone can clear that up that knows more.

I think as has been pointed out by others that the pertinent difference here is that those instances are from before 'the defendant' was involved with the club. They cannot therefore have any bearing on him or on the actual issue being examined by the employment tribunal; the investigation conducted last year. That's all the tribunal is about. Nothing more, nothing less. That investigation, how well/poorly it was conducted, and if the club discriminated against Quitongo in the way it was conducted. 

I'm not disagreeing with you/defending the prosecution. I'm just saying that I thought it was pretty obvious this is the way they would approach it.

22 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I doubt the fan even exists!

Was it not at away game that it was supposedly heard, home games I would think we would have to make sure all behavior was fine, what a world this has become, local school sports were not allowed to race against each other in case it proved one was better than the other. 

25 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The "fan" has never been identified, might not have been an Airdrie fan!

Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Apparently a fan made a comment at conversation level. A players dad overhead it and passed it onto his son who in turn told Rico/ the club. 

Of course that seems hard to prove however, question the witness. Ask where they were sitting. Check CCTV. If no evidence then campaign against racism. Make your stance clear. Support the victim etc.

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Was it not at away game that it was supposedly heard, home games I would think we would have to make sure all behavior was fine, what a world this has become, local school sports were not allowed to race against each other in case it proved one was better than the other. 

Yeah Queens park away at Firhill the allegation was made.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

What is the club though? Is it the entire staff? Does it include the fans? (Tommy Robinson paying into a game can't possibly be attributed to the Club, directors or staff)

Is this heading down the strict liability route?

Why did Tommy Robinson chose to pay into an Airdrie game? 

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, AndyDD said:
I think as has been pointed out by others that the pertinent difference here is that those instances are from before 'the defendant' was involved with the club. They cannot therefore have any bearing on him or on the actual issue being examined by the employment tribunal; the investigation conducted last year. That's all the tribunal is about. Nothing more, nothing less. That investigation, how well/poorly it was conducted, and if the club discriminated against Quitongo in the way it was conducted. 

I'm not disagreeing with you/defending the prosecution. I'm just saying that I thought it was pretty obvious this is the way they would approach it.

Ah, well that's fair enough, I suppose you're right, I shouldn't be surprised, even if I don't see how they'd expect the tribunal to pay any heed to it as having bearing on the case. Build a picture, etc etc. Would have thought more effective in a jury trial than a tribunal mind you, but presuming there is no jury in this case, just a judge/some other figure who adjudicates? 

In any event, fair play, my mistake, apologies. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Invited up by bigoted idiots who couldnae tell he was an absolute charlatan, presumably. Incredible red neck. 

18 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Apparently a fan made a comment at conversation level. A players dad overhead it and passed it onto his son who in turn told Rico/ the club. 

Get all that but but i would be questioning the hard facts which are he couldn't be identified therefore how can anyone be sure what the club he supported.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

He was attending the trial of Mark Meechan (the Coatbridge guy and now very succesful youtuber who had the nazi pug dog) and decided to go to the local football match.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that as a percentage of overall support Airdrie definitely have the highest number of bigoted/racist supporters but if the details in the press are to be believed this certainly looks like it’s turning into a witch hunt. 

4 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I know. I know.

Now we must remember that Mark Meechan had lots of support from various people and especially a shit load of comedians, Ricky Gervais being one. We musn't conflate TR's right wing views with his support of the now rich Count!

5 minutes ago, AdamAnt said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that as a percentage of overall support Airdrie definitely have the highest number of bigoted/racist supporters but if the details in the press are to be believed this certainly looks like it’s turning into a witch hunt. 

Oh do provide the evidence otherwise feck off.