The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Slightly off topic but it's sad to see the guy who runs the bus/buses to away games having such a struggle these days which just happens to coincide with us being well worth the travel most weeks. I've personally never been on the supporters bus due to being fortunate enough to be able to make my own way to games but his work is commendable. Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if there is any scope for the club to help in this regard. It's got to be beneficial for the team and the club in general to have as many away fans as possible, it could be the difference. They could also make a bit of money out of helping out with travel. There's a few ways they could spin it if it's something that can be explored.

They could go down the route of just putting a bus on at whatever cost or they could start a travel club, I'm sure there are other teams out there that do this, whether it be a monthly payment which could either include travel only or travel and a ticket to the game. I know in these times it's difficult for all financially and asking g for another payment might be a stretch too far but the hard-core that go to 80-100% of away games are paying anyway. 

I also appreciate that this idea cut be seen as cutting the grass of the guy who's currently doing a great job of running the buses despite the current struggles and obviously opens cue here before and after where most will go in and spend a few quid before and after the game but the club could also liaise with cue here and possibly come up with a solution to have the bus leave from cue here or even do a pick up from there.  Maybe it's pie in the sky and all a bit too complicated but it's something I'd hope the club could help out and allow the team to have the best backing possible. 

9 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Slightly off topic but it's sad to see the guy who runs the bus/buses to away games having such a struggle these days which just happens to coincide with us being well worth the travel most weeks. I've personally never been on the supporters bus due to being fortunate enough to be able to make my own way to games but his work is commendable. Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if there is any scope for the club to help in this regard. It's got to be beneficial for the team and the club in general to have as many away fans as possible, it could be the difference. They could also make a bit of money out of helping out with travel. There's a few ways they could spin it if it's something that can be explored.

They could go down the route of just putting a bus on at whatever cost or they could start a travel club, I'm sure there are other teams out there that do this, whether it be a monthly payment which could either include travel only or travel and a ticket to the game. I know in these times it's difficult for all financially and asking g for another payment might be a stretch too far but the hard-core that go to 80-100% of away games are paying anyway. 

I also appreciate that this idea cut be seen as cutting the grass of the guy who's currently doing a great job of running the buses despite the current struggles and obviously opens cue here before and after where most will go in and spend a few quid before and after the game but the club could also liaise with cue here and possibly come up with a solution to have the bus leave from cue here or even do a pick up from there.  Maybe it's pie in the sky and all a bit too complicated but it's something I'd hope the club could help out and allow the team to have the best backing possible. 

Speaking from experience it's a hard task but you would think that a club director who owns a bus company would be sympathetic, seems not!

48 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

This is surely something for the Supporters Trust to sort, that used to be their main remit back in the day,  come to think of it the Supporters Trust still on the go....

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

This is surely something for the Supporters Trust to sort, that used to be their main remit back in the day,  come to think of it the Supporters Trust still on the go....

That was never the main remit although they did put on occassional free bus/buses for the Airdrie aces. (kids) The trust morphed into Diamonds in the Community and a new trust was formed by the club amid quite a bit of nastiness of which i would not know the detals of.

11 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Its not lack of people or finance, the problem is finding a bus company. I've had problems booking buses for a few events. 

A lot of companies went out of business or downsized during the Pandemic. Most of those that survived have regular contracts.

A big factor is Scotrail. With so many lines running replacement bus services at the moment they have booked the spare bus capacity.

Eventually some companies are going to expand (or new companies start up) but much like the taxi shortages it's going to take time. 

3 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

The Falkirk daft podcast made for interesting/twilight zone listening. Personally I’m thankful for the 3rd and 4th they decided to give us. Otherwise it would only have been 2-0.

And the 1st goal was a lucky deflection, no mention of the move and Frizzels worldie defence splitting pass. 

And our new pitch is shiite!

Edited by Kenny_m

4 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Its not lack of people or finance, the problem is finding a bus company. I've had problems booking buses for a few events. 

A lot of companies went out of business or downsized during the Pandemic. Most of those that survived have regular contracts.

A big factor is Scotrail. With so many lines running replacement bus services at the moment they have booked the spare bus capacity.

Eventually some companies are going to expand (or new companies start up) but much like the taxi shortages it's going to take time. 

Have had similar, you are spot on. In addition I've seen cancellation fees at late notice increase because they are such high demand. I'd guess it might be possible if booking well in advance (as in months) to get a bus but that's not really possible with us - fans don't tend to plan months ahead whether they are going to attend. I'd imagine with our start to the league and the weather forecast plenty fans would have been up for taking the bus this weekend to Dumfries. However if we'd lost the first 2 games and the weather was abysmal this weekend there wouldn't be enough for a bus and you get hit with a big cancellation fee. I think with some companies there is also a reluctance to get involved with football at all these days, or more just that they don't need to.

Would be interesting to see how fans of other clubs are managing.

And the 1st goal was a lucky deflection, no mention of the move and Frizzels worldie defence splitting pass. 
And our new pitch is shiite!

Absolutely there was some bloody excellent play in that second half. Funny how St Mirren lost 2-0 and didn’t blame the park. In fact, no one has bar the greetin’ Bairns.

4 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

The Falkirk daft podcast made for interesting/twilight zone listening. Personally I’m thankful for the 3rd and 4th they decided to give us. Otherwise it would only have been 2-0.

Don't be so glass half empty. They're from FK postcodes and have worked out that 4-2 =2 

That's earthshaking numeracy progress in that neck of the woods when you consider that a Falkirk abacus is two frozen dug shites held in place with a hypodermic needle.

5 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

The Airdrie fan who was on it last week was excellent btw. Spoke really well, provided a good level of detail about your squad and manager and seemed a decent guy.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

The Airdrie fan who was on it last week was excellent btw. Spoke really well, provided a good level of detail about your squad and manager and seemed a decent guy.

Appreciate that. Really enjoyed being on it, both the gents doing it are thoroughly decent and have put together a really solid podcast. 

Now cut it out, we need to despise each other with extreme vitriol.