The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I see someone has mentioned on the Hamilton thread that they’re signing Charlie Telfer. I’d have liked to sign him but given how long he’s dragged things out I’m happy to go for someone else at this point. Anyway, who needs him when we have Justin Devenny!

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I see someone has mentioned on the Hamilton thread that they’re signing Charlie Telfer. I’d have liked to sign him but given how long he’s dragged things out I’m happy to go for someone else at this point. Anyway, who needs him when we have Justin Devenny!

Hope that we get them in the play off games!

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Given the shortage of decent players I'd obviously have taken him for the squad, but to be honest if McCabe is playing in midfield I'm not sure he'd be needed or suit the other 2 midfield positions where we are favouring higher energy players who can get about the pitch and get forward, that's not really Telfer's game.

I've not seen much of Wylie yet but he sounds a bit like a Telfer type of player and I'd imagine he was brought in when it became clear Telfer wasn't signing.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

20 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

Hope that we get them in the play off games!

Imagine hoping for Airdrie to be in a play off!

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Given the shortage of decent players I'd obviously have taken him for the squad, but to be honest if McCabe is playing in midfield I'm not sure he'd be needed or suit the other 2 midfield positions where we are favouring higher energy players who can get about the pitch and get forward, that's not really Telfer's game.

I've not seen much of Wylie yet but he sounds a bit like a Telfer type of player and I'd imagine he was brought in when it became clear Telfer wasn't signing.

Yeah as good as Easton was, and there will undoubtedly be times this season where we really miss his guile and skill, the new midfield setup is great to watch. Frizzell and Devenny have different skills but as you say, they’re both high energy and watching them charge about with no fear and barrel into players is a lot of fun and based on the small sample size so far, it seems to work too. 

I was going to say if we bring in another midfielder a backup for McCabe would be ideal but I suppose that’s probably McMaster‘s role, who I keep forgetting about as I haven’t seen him play yet.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Hope he's been told he wouldn't be guaranteed a start in our midfield everyweek.   He should have been told weeks ago if a contract hasn't been agreed were going for someone else.  Seems we have waited on a decision too long.  Still I'm sure the management team will have other targets we can make offers to now.   

Onwards and upwards.... Mon the (stripes) diamonds ♦️

Edited by Ballboy

Honestly don’t care if he’s off to Hamilton. Was originally pleased that he showed up in our NL Cup side but became clear that he wanted something different. It’s hard to be critical of players who want to play at a higher level but I honestly thought the lure of playing for a L1 side that would be challenging could be a factor. In the meantime, there’s a debate on the Falkirk thread about how good Telfer was with most thinking he was a bit of a jobber. Some Falkirk fans saying he should be lucky to get a game with us… I was undecided about him and was happy to have him, but so-so if he didn’t sign. Him hanging around for weeks on end and then signing for our county rivals, good riddance. I just hope Rhys wasn’t passing up other players hanging on for him. As has been said, hope we’re passing Hamilton at the end of this season

22 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Johnson - not a lot to do but made one very decent save. Cracking long throw to start the attack that led to the fourth goal.

Ballantyne - skint a man by headering the ball on the deck. Enough said.

Watson - colossal.

Fordyce - very good game. Wasn’t troubled.

Deveney - his best game so far. Worked his socks off.

McCabe - I’m sure at one point I noticed him wearing his slippers and smoking a cigar.

Devenny - really tidy player. Played very well again and is doing everything to hold onto that starting spot.

Frizzell - potentially the best player in the league this season. Doing well to make us forget Easton.

Jamieson - really impressed. Still think he needs to gel with the rest of the team and can be even more effective when he does, but clearly a very talented and skilful dribbler.

Gallagher - did what he does very well.

Smith - alongside Frizzell potentially the best player in the team/league. Didn’t get a goal today but clearly enjoyed himself and never seems to lose the ball (even when he does he usually wins it back). Playing with a lot of confidence.

Salim and Gabby done everything you can expect from substitute strikers. Wylie looked decent but it probably is easier to come on against a team that’s getting scudded and only has 10 men.

I totally agree with this bar Watson. I feel that Watson is the only defender we have who is capable of a couple of howlers every match. There were a couple of Falkirk attacks that he directly caused. I like him as a player and think he offers something going forward  but feel another centre half would do us good in the defensive side of things. 

Brilliant start to the league and whilst it's important we don't get too carried away given our poor start last time was followed by a brilliant league campaign overall, the players and management deserve a huge amount of credit for how we're shaping up. Two very good wins, playing excellent football, impossible to live with at times. 

That second half, we absolutely murdered a falkirk team that hadn't conceded a goal from open play right through their league cup group and opening fixture. It was a joy to watch, that second 45. Delighted for the goalscorers, especially Sal for obvious reasons. Also delighted for Euan Deveney, who really stood up. Best game yet for him. 

Roll on Saturday. 

Just like to point out that's us 22 league games unbeaten carrying on from last season, our last league defeat came at the hands of Montrose on the 7th December 2021.

Edited by AJ77

49 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Just like to point out that's us 20 league games unbeaten carrying on from last season, our last league defeat came at the hands of Montrose on the 7th December 2021.

Montrose in the playoffs was a League match. You lost.

You also lost to Queen's Park though granted it was a 90 minute draw.

Technically they are both Championship matches though. You can claim a long unbeaten League 1 run. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Montrose in the playoffs was a League match. You lost.

You also lost to Queen's Park though granted it was a 90 minute draw.

Technically they are both Championship matches though. You can claim a long unbeaten League 1 run. 🙂

Technically, since you went down the 'technically' road yourself, they were play off games, not league games. All clubs play the same number of league games. The extra games are therefore not league games, as the league is done. Play offs. You're welcome. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Brilliant start to the league and whilst it's important we don't get too carried away given our poor start last time was followed by a brilliant league campaign overall, the players and management deserve a huge amount of credit for how we're shaping up. Two very good wins, playing excellent football, impossible to live with at times. 

That second half, we absolutely murdered a falkirk team that hadn't conceded a goal from open play right through their league cup group and opening fixture. It was a joy to watch, that second 45. Delighted for the goalscorers, especially Sal for obvious reasons. Also delighted for Euan Deveney, who really stood up. Best game yet for him. 

Roll on Saturday. 

Good point re:Falkirk. No doubt they're better than last season. Just because we gubbed them, we shouldn't be doing ourselves a discredit by saying it's because Falkirk are just as poor as they were last season. They are better. But so are we. Some of our play on Saturday was just sublime. The link up play alone between Smith and Frizz was a Joy to watch. Quick shirt passes round players, they were both almost unplayable at times. 

As for Telfer, his experience would be good to add. Tidy player too. However, he's not a stand out and also has been dicking about too long so it's maybe time for him to pi55 off if he's not signing, if not already away. 

McCabe has proven that there's other good players out there so I hope we don't waste any more time on him.hes no Easton replacement, that's for sure decent enough, but not worth chasing and spending a fortune on if he's holding out for an unrealistic wage. Falkirk may have been willing to chuck stupid money at him before, but we ain't that daft. 

41 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Technically, since you went down the 'technically' road yourself, they were play off games, not league games. All clubs play the same number of league games. The extra games are therefore not league games, as the league is done. Play offs. You're welcome. 

Haha fs he must be fun at parties, anyway we'll just go with 100% record this year and top of the league that sounds just as nice.

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You made that up. Go ask the SPFL. They consider them League games of the higher division. That's why I used the word 'technically' .Goals scored count as League goals, bookings count as League bookings, etc. You lost a League game at Montrose in May.

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Haha fs he must be fun at parties, anyway we'll just go with 100% record this year and top of the league that sounds just as nice.

I'm really dull at parties. Which is why I'm never invited to them. You're unbeaten in 2 league games. 5 if you want to turn a blind eye to extra time in the Queen's Park one. 😝

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You made that up. Go ask the SPFL. They consider them League games of the higher division. That's why I used the word 'technically' .Goals scored count as League goals, bookings count as League bookings, etc. You lost a League game at Montrose in May.

You're welcome.

I'm really dull at parties. Which is why I'm never invited to them. You're unbeaten in 2 league games. 5 if you want to turn a blind eye to extra time in the Queen's Park one. 😝

Airdrie have not lost a league game in this division since December. 

The championship playoff games are not counted as league games in this division. 

Hopefully that'll remain the case come fulltime on Saturday.