The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Feared we wouldn’t have any more signings this week and looks to be the case unless the pen pops out in the next couple of hours. Appreciate there are things in the works but frustrating right before a key game and ahead of a busy month. Feel good with the squad but everyone knows we are lacking in a couple of important positions with other players out of their natural positions to cover. Cmon the pen!!

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Mochrie, who ourselves and Falkirk were supposedly in for, is Dunfermline-bound. Still think our starting 11 is pretty much as good as any other 11 in this league, but I think most neutrals would look at that Dunfermline squad and see it as the strongest in the league.

We supposedly withdrew our interest earlier in the week.

I was looking to see if Scott McGill was involved (he wasn’t), but I noticed Connor Smith played for Hearts B team in the lowland league this week.
It’d be a coup, but a player like him would be ideal for us, and it’d be an utter waste for him to play at that level. Hopefully his brother can have a word in his ear!

The lack of signings and small squad is a concern but it’s probably worth noting that we have been broadly happy with everyone we’ve signed so far. Justin Devenny was probably the most underwhelming one on paper and even then he’s been excellent so far. Looking at the signings compared to who left at the end of the season, is it fair to say this is where we’re at in terms of rough replacements? I’ve tried to account for minutes played and their role rather than just players staying on (i.e. Devenny now playing).

Replaced
Max Currie -> Josh Rae
Jay Cantley -> David Hutton
Kyle MacDonald -> Cammy Ballantyne
Brody Paterson -> Euan Deveney
Scott Agnew -> Dean McMaster
Matty McDonald -> Cole Gibson?
Justin Devenny -> Kyan Gunn?
Dylan Easton -> Ben Wylie
Scott McGill -> Justin Devenny
Jordan Allan -> Lewis Jamieson
Jonathan Afolabi -> Salim (he was injured so as the cliche goes, is like a new signing!)

Not Replaced
Scott Walker, Luke Lyons, Josh Kerr, Dean Ritchie, Patrick Pyott

We’re not actually too far away based on that. Definitely some defensive replacements required as we all know but equally we finished last season with three right backs, which isn’t really necessary. We know McCabe wants another midfielder too given his interest in Telfer and Mochrie but looking at that overall, there is plenty to be happy about. Hopefully it all works out on the pitch!

Edited by Mr November

11 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The lack of signings and small squad is a concern but it’s probably worth noting that we have been broadly happy with everyone we’ve signed so far. Justin Devenny was probably the most underwhelming one on paper and even then he’s been excellent so far. Looking at the signings compared to who left at the end of the season, is it fair to say this is where we’re at in terms of rough replacements? I’ve tried to account for minutes played and their role rather than just players staying on (i.e. Devenny now playing).

Replaced
Max Currie -> Josh Rae
Jay Cantley -> David Hutton
Kyle MacDonald -> Cammy Ballantyne
Brody Paterson -> Euan Deveney
Scott Agnew -> Dean McMaster
Matty McDonald -> Cole Gibson?
Justin Devenny -> Kyan Gunn?
Dylan Easton -> Ben Wylie
Scott McGill -> Justin Devenny
Jordan Allan -> Lewis Jamieson
Jonathan Afolabi -> Salim (he was injured so as the cliche goes, is like a new signing!)

Not Replaced
Scott Walker, Luke Lyons, Josh Kerr, Dean Ritchie, Patrick Pyott

We’re not actually too far away based on that. Definitely some defensive replacements required as we all know but equally we finished last season with three right backs, which isn’t really necessary. We know McCabe wants another midfielder too given his interest in Telfer and Mochrie but looking at that overall, there is plenty to be happy about. Hopefully it all works out on the pitch!

Definitely need some defensive cover. If you include McCabe literally all of our defenders in our current first choice XI are on the pitch from the start of every game. Is Leon Jones still hanging around the place? Not sure he's any good so maybe fair enough if we pass on him but he hasn't signed elsewhere yet and I doubt he'd get a better offer than Airdrie. Speaking of which... Mon to f**k Charlie 😂 Still think we need a couple of experienced midfielders. Our midfield is talented but very young. Will be an interesting battle in that sense v Stephen McGinn tomorrow. 

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Definitely need some defensive cover. If you include McCabe literally all of our defenders in our current first choice XI are on the pitch from the start of every game. Is Leon Jones still hanging around the place? Not sure he's any good so maybe fair enough if we pass on him but he hasn't signed elsewhere yet and I doubt he'd get a better offer than Airdrie. Speaking of which... Mon to f**k Charlie 😂 Still think we need a couple of experienced midfielders. Our midfield is talented but very young. Will be an interesting battle in that sense v Stephen McGinn tomorrow. 

We will see where we are at today, far better team than Falkirk last couple of season. We have a good starting 11, are we hard enough to beat, not sure, what I would give for a  Evan Balfour type player today, best of luck  2-1.

Surprised Telfer hasn’t signed for yourselves yet. He’s probably on his last full time club and thought he’d grasp any full time offers on the table.

Other than that he’s maybe holding out for a struggling championship team panicking and needing bodies in.

Telfer was capable of having good games they were just always few and far between, very frustrating he couldn’t turn it in more regularly and it eventually got him released. Actually didn’t expect him to find another full time gig so I’m surprised he hasn’t bitten the hand off Airdrie if you have indeed offered him a deal. 

Telfer was capable of having good games they were just always few and far between, very frustrating he couldn’t turn it in more regularly and it eventually got him released. Actually didn’t expect him to find another full time gig so I’m surprised he hasn’t bitten the hand off Airdrie if you have indeed offered him a deal. 

I’m assuming we offered him a deal and as far as I’m concerned we should get him TF rather than let him hang around the first team doing training which I’m assuming he still is. Enough time for him to make a decision and it’s games like this that we need his experience. I’m not being unrealistic about signings and I know we are where we are and other teams are finding it difficult to pull in players but like you said, I think we’re a good option for him. We’ll see what happens.

33 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I’m assuming we offered him a deal and as far as I’m concerned we should get him TF rather than let him hang around the first team doing training which I’m assuming he still is. Enough time for him to make a decision and it’s games like this that we need his experience. I’m not being unrealistic about signings and I know we are where we are and other teams are finding it difficult to pull in players but like you said, I think we’re a good option for him. We’ll see what happens.

Agree had long enough, if we have to plead with him he is the wrong player for us ghtf.