The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Great to get another player in. Can’t pretend to know much about Jamieson but if he done well at Clyde last season then it’s probably a good signing, and I do remember him scoring that cracker against us.

The squad balance is a bit strange just now, with 5 forwards in such a light squad but hopefully more to be added before the Peterhead game. Don’t expect Jamieson to start on Saturday since we’ll probably go with a front 3 of Smith, Gallagher and McGill but I’m sure he’ll come on as a sub given there aren’t many to choose from. Here’s hoping he can cover the wider forward areas that Smith and McGill play because I’m not convinced Gal or Salim should ever be out there.

I asked about that on the Clyde thread and the consensus was that he’s wasted out wide and is much better playing through the middle. That still leaves us a bit short out wide and lacking any natural wingers but plenty of competition for that main striking role. I suppose if we play the back three at times we can fit two of them in but even then that probably leaves the other three out unless you’re being very bold.

Callum Smith's brother scored a hat trick for the B team. Connor Smith would be a cracking signing but I'd imagine he'd either go to a championship team, or push to get in the first team at Hearts.

Scott McGill's been discussed on here before, didn't see his name on the list for the B team game so might be injured.

20 hours ago, Passionate said:

Are you still standing by your 3 loanees from Celtic......

Here I can actually hold my hands up here and say I was wrong on this one! Had totally misunderstood what I was told ! Meant to be just the 1 from the celtic. Not sure on names sadly 

3 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Callum Smith's brother scored a hat trick for the B team. Connor Smith would be a cracking signing but I'd imagine he'd either go to a championship team, or push to get in the first team at Hearts.

Scott McGill's been discussed on here before, didn't see his name on the list for the B team game so might be injured.

Hearts are apparently being funny buggers with loans this year. I'd take mcgill back in a heartbeat. 

Hearts are apparently being funny buggers with loans this year. I'd take mcgill back in a heartbeat. 
Wouldn't really be fair on the development of guys like Euan Henderson and Connor Smith to be scoring bucketloads against the likes of Open Goal and Civil Service Strollers instead of being tested at a higher level.

I'd assume they'd maybe be on the bench at Hearts but their game time would be few and far between, I do think McGill needs to go on loan again don't think he's quite ready to push for a starting 11 at Hearts.

7 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Wouldn't really be fair on the development of guys like Euan Henderson and Connor Smith to be scoring bucketloads against the likes of Open Goal and Civil Service Strollers instead of being tested at a higher level.

I'd assume they'd maybe be on the bench at Hearts but their game time would be few and far between, I do think McGill needs to go on loan again don't think he's quite ready to push for a starting 11 at Hearts.

Would have taken all 3 of them if I'm honest 

Would have McGill back and Connor Smith in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I suspect Smith will have Championship suitors but maybe his big brother could have a wee word in his ear to talk him into joining us. McGill we’ve all seen and we know he gives us good cover across several midfield roles and even (though perhaps not in an ideal situation) at full back. McGill I’d expect probably would still be looking at a League One loan as I’m not sure he’d be quite ready for the Championship but you never know.

Another left footed midfielder! Makes a change from a few seasons ago when our only left footed player was Leon McCann. Sounds like he’s an attacking midfielder so I’d guess if we stick to 433 it’ll be one of McCabe or McMaster sitting and two of Frizzell, Wylie and Devenny in front of them.

Looks like Wylie’s getting the number 8 shirt so hopefully that’s a sign that he’s expected to be an improvement on what we already have.

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Another left footed midfielder! Makes a change from a few seasons ago when our only left footed player was Leon McCann. Sounds like he’s an attacking midfielder so I’d guess if we stick to 433 it’ll be one of McCabe or McMaster sitting and two of Frizzell, Wylie and Devenny in front of them.

Looks like Wylie’s getting the number 8 shirt so hopefully that’s a sign that he’s expected to be an improvement on what we already have.

Without knowing too much about McMaster or Wylie it seems like a decent bunch of options there. They certainly all seem suited to the style we want to play. 

It seems like Wylie got the most assists and yellow cards for Celtic B last season. It’s a completely different challenge doing it in League One but hopefully that means that he’s good on the ball but can also get stuck in, a bit like Frizzell. If he’s half as good as the last left footed midfielder we got from Celtic then we’re onto a winner.