The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

That probably puts to bed the Owen Moffat rumours. Can't say i know much about him but seemed to be decent enough for Clyde but a little concerning we have 2 loanees from a St Mirren side who looked utter gash!

Is Moffat a striker ? 

4 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Is Moffat a striker ? 

Seen him referred to both as winger & striker but what is a winger these days. We seem to have options in the forward areas although perhaps we will loan Salim to get his fitness up!

15 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Watched your highlights from the game against Arbroath at the weekend, it looks like all that was missing was someone with a bit of composure up top, Jamieson you'd like to think will bring that.

True dat!

7 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Watched your highlights from the game against Arbroath at the weekend, it looks like all that was missing was someone with a bit of composure up top, Jamieson you'd like to think will bring that.

We created more quality chances than most teams will at Gayfield but as you say, really lacked composure in front of goal and were punished for it. Gallagher, Smith and McGill all had decent numbers last season for the minutes they played but none of them have got going yet this season, though it’s very early days yet. 

21 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

That probably puts to bed the Owen Moffat rumours. Can't say i know much about him but seemed to be decent enough for Clyde but a little concerning we have 2 loanees from a St Mirren side who looked utter gash!

I wouldn’t worry about that too much, Robinson seems to be trying (not very successfully based on last week) to build his own team there with the usual quick, physical strikers and runners in midfield. Even Jay Henderson, a Scotland under-21 international who played 26 games for them last season has only made a couple of sub appearances so far in the cup, so giving the young players a chance doesn’t seem to be top of Robinson’s list. 

I agree with you on Moffat. We’ll likely only play three forwards at any given time, unless McCabe has been heavily influenced by latter day Murrayball, and having all of Moffat, McGill, Smith, Jamieson, Gallagher and Salim feels a bit top heavy. 

38 minutes ago, Mr November said:

We created more quality chances than most teams will at Gayfield but as you say, really lacked composure in front of goal and were punished for it. Gallagher, Smith and McGill all had decent numbers last season for the minutes they played but none of them have got going yet this season, though it’s very early days yet. 

I wouldn’t worry about that too much, Robinson seems to be trying (not very successfully based on last week) to build his own team there with the usual quick, physical strikers and runners in midfield. Even Jay Henderson, a Scotland under-21 international who played 26 games for them last season has only made a couple of sub appearances so far in the cup, so giving the young players a chance doesn’t seem to be top of Robinson’s list. 

I agree with you on Moffat. We’ll likely only play three forwards at any given time, unless McCabe has been heavily influenced by latter day Murrayball, and having all of Moffat, McGill, Smith, Jamieson, Gallagher and Salim feels a bit top heavy. 

Jameson is a good addition quality loan as described by many on here,   That's us now at 5 forwards out of a squad of 15,   I would not be surprised( mentioned it a couple of weeks ago) if Murray makes a move for Smith,  he clearly rates him having signed him before twice,  if we even get a nominal fee that could be put to McCabes top target....I

I would be surprised if Moffat  ends up at Airdrie now , although a young centre back from Celtic seems to be a done deal apparently...   We are still desperately short of depth in midfield,  McCabe has said he needs 5 or 6 for the start of the League,   he needs to produce the goods....  NOW

Jameson is a good addition quality loan as described by many on here,   That's us now at 5 forwards out of a squad of 15,   I would not be surprised( mentioned it a couple of weeks ago) if Murray makes a move for Smith,  he clearly rates him having signed him before twice,  if we even get a nominal fee that could be put to McCabes top target....I

I would be surprised if Moffat  ends up at Airdrie now , although a young centre back from Celtic seems to be a done deal apparently...   We are still desperately short of depth in midfield,  McCabe has said he needs 5 or 6 for the start of the League,   he needs to produce the goods....  NOW

Yeah, we need to hit the ground running and with all those difficult fixtures around the corner it will be pressure on right from the start. We need at least another 2 signings this week, I’ll take a defender and a midfielder thank you very much 3 points required before my fish supper on Saturday!

McCabe mentioned he'd be looking for two midfielders in the 5/6 signings he was looking for this week.

18 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I would not be surprised( mentioned it a couple of weeks ago) if Murray makes a move for Smith

I don't think even Murray knows what his next move is. He's currently presiding over the most inept attempt at squad building I have seen at Rovers since Claude Anelka. 

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't think even Murray knows what his next move is. He's currently presiding over the most inept attempt at squad building I have seen at Rovers since Claude Anelka. 

You have just given me a very vivid flashback of a 1-1 draw between Airdrie and Raith. I think it was Ebanda who stank the place out, there was also some guy Raith had signed who had been playing in a street league in Paris.

Solid signing yesterday and hoping we see more either today or as the week unfolds. 

McCabe sticking to his mantra of adding quality to the team. Unhappy with our strike rate up top. Brings in a striker. Good stuff. 

Midfield and defence next, but have confidence in Rhys to get it right. 

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

Are you still standing by your 3 loanees from Celtic......

Your so weird. Please stop doing the big dramatic....pause and stick a bloody question mark in while you are at it if your asking a question. 

They aren't mine...

But aye , i doubt person who told me they were coming in would lie. As mentioned I really don't like dropping names or such cause you can get it wrong. But considering I wasn't the first to mention the 3 of them I thought this wouldn't be much of a risk. 

Could fall apart , you never know. Issue with paperwork could have been more of an issue than first thought. They could be kidnapped on the way to the stadium be a radical group of airdrie fans who are against loanees...you never know do you...

12 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Seen him referred to both as winger & striker but what is a winger these days. We seem to have options in the forward areas although perhaps we will loan Salim to get his fitness up!

Cheers was just never sure!

12 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Murray likes 3 subs on the bench holding hands so they can run on together, 

13 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

is this not the case at a lot of clubs, recruitment seems to be a nightmare for lots of teams including Airdrie this close season, not sure why but seems to be lots of teams stuggling to get a full squad ahead of Saturday

18 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

is this not the case at a lot of clubs, recruitment seems to be a nightmare for lots of teams including Airdrie this close season, not sure why but seems to be lots of teams stuggling to get a full squad ahead of Saturday

The difference being, I think Rhys knows what he's doing, has a plan and is trying to stick to it. 

Murray however.......

Great to get another player in. Can’t pretend to know much about Jamieson but if he done well at Clyde last season then it’s probably a good signing, and I do remember him scoring that cracker against us.

The squad balance is a bit strange just now, with 5 forwards in such a light squad but hopefully more to be added before the Peterhead game. Don’t expect Jamieson to start on Saturday since we’ll probably go with a front 3 of Smith, Gallagher and McGill but I’m sure he’ll come on as a sub given there aren’t many to choose from. Here’s hoping he can cover the wider forward areas that Smith and McGill play because I’m not convinced Gal or Salim should ever be out there.

Unless we’re going to make a triple loan signing that could come anytime between now and Friday, I’d expect the pen to come back out tonight. Steady progress from Rhys here, and I’m glad we’re not signing just anybody to fill out the team. As mentioned previously, I’d be a little concerned if we signed all 5/6 players this week - unless the stars aligned and we got all the targets in one swoop. Looks like our latest signing is someone Rhys has been tracking for a while, he likes to hold out for his man. I’m sure he has others in line and hoping they agree to come onboard asap. Feel we really need 3 points on Saturday, could kick us on to bigger things or set us back against the league challengers. Will be an interesting few weeks