The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

Fair play to Kyan Gunn, a week later and Stephen Robinson still hasn’t got over him pumping St. Mirren out the cup. 

What a laugh man, 5 premier league teams don't even need to play this round and the lower teams can't play trialists. If anything it's designed so that the premier teams make it. If they get knocked out it's on them for being pash.

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Well we were linked to a Celtic goalie (Oluwayemi) before Rae joined so I wonder if that’s back on. I just assumed it wouldn’t happen when Rae signed.

Maybe it's so Hutts can concentrate on the coaching side of it and be "back up to the back up" maybe? Who knows, all speculation at the moment 'til that f*cking pen makes an appearance.

I've been pretty patient regarding the signings to be honest, still am, I'd rather try for a couple of decent players than dive in and sign Dean Ritchie and Scott Walker mk.II.

Peterhead are struggling themselves so even a 1-0 90th minute OG winner does for me on Saturday as long as we've got at least a week for the new recruits to get a bit of settling in with the rest of the guys.

It's always good to have competition but I can't imagine Josh Rae or Oluwayemi being keen to come here and be second choice, or indeed Celtic being keen to loan out a promising player who might not play regularly. I assumed the plan would be Rae in goals, the Northern Irish boy from the Academy on the bench since he seems to be involved in the warm-ups with Hutton focusing on coaching. Unless Rae is injury prone, or Oluwayemi turns out to be amazing, then another keeper seems a bit of a waste of a loan.

If we don't sign Owen Moffat this time then he's the new West Ham striker.

28 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It's always good to have competition but I can't imagine Josh Rae or Oluwayemi being keen to come here and be second choice, or indeed Celtic being keen to loan out a promising player who might not play regularly. I assumed the plan would be Rae in goals, the Northern Irish boy from the Academy on the bench since he seems to be involved in the warm-ups with Hutton focusing on coaching. Unless Rae is injury prone, or Oluwayemi turns out to be amazing, then another keeper seems a bit of a waste of a loan.

If we don't sign Owen Moffat this time then he's the new West Ham striker.

Notheren Irish boy isn’t for the academy he’s going to be our backup this year so hutton can focus on the coaching side of it and step in if needed

How are you lot feeling about this season? Don't seem to have brought in an awful lot of players but both Ballantyne and Rae are good signings in my opinion, surprised the latter hasn't ended up back in the Championship if I'm being honest.

The appointment of McCabe and Fordyce an interesting one as well, see it ending well?

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

2 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

How are you lot feeling about this season? Don't seem to have brought in an awful lot of players but both Ballantyne and Rae are good signings in my opinion, surprised the latter hasn't ended up back in the Championship if I'm being honest.

The appointment of McCabe and Fordyce an interesting one as well, see it ending well?

I think in complete honesty it will hinge on what happens over the next week or so signing wise. On paper our first 11 is strong. More or less comparable to any of the other "fancied teams" in the league and we have retained pretty much everyone who was signed and we wanted to keep from last term, bar Easton, while adding Ballantyne and Rae, who must both be in the conversation for best in their positions in the league.

However, the squad is paper thin and if we suffered a spate of injuries or suspensions we could be absolutely gubbed. Bring in some good options in the coming days and we have to fancy a decent finish. But at the moment as it stands we could finish anywhere from 1st to 6th or 7th depending which way it goes.

The fans are very behind McCabe. He is clearly a savvy football guy. Here's hoping it works a charm. 

Edited by cb_diamond

7 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Peterhead are struggling themselves so even a 1-0 90th minute OG winner does for me on Saturday as long as we've got at least a week for the new recruits to get a bit of settling in with the rest of the guys.

This is already massive despite it being the opening game.

With 3 of our next 4 gamess against the expected top 3, (QOS & Dunfermline away & Falkirk at home) Rhys could be under enormous pressure as the swallows are sharpening their beaks for our young manager.

Lewis Jamieson! Very happy with that. I didn’t think a striker was a priority but he was excellent in the 1-1 draw against Clyde last season, took his goal really well. Some Falkirk fans wanted to sign him so us getting him is a good laugh but I’m wary they’ll invade our thread to go on about it in six months like with Salim.

Lewis Jamieson! Very happy with that. I didn’t think a striker was a priority but he was excellent in the 1-1 draw against Clyde last season, took his goal really well. Some Falkirk fans wanted to sign him so us getting him is a good laugh but I’m wary they’ll invade our thread to go on about it in six months like with Salim.
Pleased with that one, I think it will push the strikers we have like Gabby and Callum Smith, hopefully helps them up their game and improve their finishing from the last few games.

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Pleased with that one, I think it will push the strikers we have like Gabby and Callum Smith, hopefully helps them up their game and improve their finishing from the last few games.

That probably puts to bed the Owen Moffat rumours. Can't say i know much about him but seemed to be decent enough for Clyde but a little concerning we have 2 loanees from a St Mirren side who looked utter gash!

29 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Difference being none of us wanted Kouder Aissa last year as he's an absolute donkey.

I think Jamieson however is an excellent signing, said it on our thread he always looked a threat against us for Clyde in his two spells. 9 goals in 23 games for Clyde is a right good return.

Watched your highlights from the game against Arbroath at the weekend, it looks like all that was missing was someone with a bit of composure up top, Jamieson you'd like to think will bring that.

Edited by FFC 1876