The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Oh well you've won that argument 🤣

Just want us to win the league looks like the only way for us, play offs not to prosperous over the years. Would be good if we could bring in Moffat that would make some  difference. 

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Just want us to win the league looks like the only way for us, play offs not to prosperous over the years. Would be good if we could bring in Moffat that would make some  difference. 

Same here bud. 

And agree from what I've heard Moffat would be a great asset if he's one of the 3. 

14 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Telfer was wanting a move down south last I heard. 

Lots of players are wanting moves down south, but when it doesn't materialise, they will try for clubs here, also heard Murray say in his Raith interviews, clubs could be signing players once the Premier sports group stages are over, so hopefully that means some movement.

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Lots of players are wanting moves down south, but when it doesn't materialise, they will try for clubs here, also heard Murray say in his Raith interviews, clubs could be signing players once the Premier sports group stages are over, so hopefully that means some movement.

Aye even teams in the championship bringing in Premier league loanees will see some folk on the move. We didn't finish our first half of the season business till September last year. Footballs just different now. 

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Arbroath don't have the crowds or revenue but they find away . It's a bad job if we can't expect 2 or 3 good new players. That's maybe no sense  ofcourse. 

Last season our average crowd was 1700. That was with 2 games capped at 500. 3/4 midweek fixtures. We sold 1200 season tickets. Our last game on a Friday night v Morton was a dead rubber and we still got 3200 at Gayfield for it. Crowds have grown and the town has backed the club the change Is incredible to see.

There was 1200 at the game against you on Saturday and 900 for a Wednesday night game against Cowden. Both good crowds for League Cup matches. Our hospitality now takes around 280 and at £100 a head it sells out every home league match. You will have seen some of the changes to Gayfield if you popped along on Saturday. The board have to take huge credit 

That’s one part of it, the other side of that is league prize money. We made a profit of over £300k for financial year 20/21 and had £865k in the bank at the end of that. Next years accounts should be even healthier after finishing 2nd last season. We got £475k for finishing 2nd in the Championship while Airdrie for example got £87k for 3rd place in L1, that’s nearly £400k more. 

We do have both the crowds and revenue and are now effectively a mid Championship level club running with an extremely strong part time footballing budget

Edited by 1320Lichtie

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Last season our average crowd was 1700. That was with 2 games capped at 500. 3/4 midweek fixtures. We sold 1200 season tickets. Our last game on a Friday night v Morton was a dead rubber and we still got 3200 at Gayfield for it. Crowds have grown and the town has backed the club the change Is incredible to see.

There was 1200 at the game against you on Saturday and 900 for a Wednesday night game against Cowden. Both good crowds for League Cup matches. Our hospitality now takes around 280 and at £100 a head it sells out every home league match. You will have seen some of the changes to Gayfield if you popped along on Saturday. The board have to take huge credit 

That’s one part of it, the other side of that is league prize money. We made a profit of over £300k for financial year 20/21 and had £865k in the bank at the end of that. Next years accounts should be even healthier after finishing 2nd last season. We got £475k for finishing 2nd in the Championship while Airdrie for example got £87k for 3rd place in L1, that’s nearly £400k more. 

We do have both the crowds and revenue and are now effectively a mid Championship level club running with an extremely strong part time footballing budget

Cheers for further proving my point.

Edited by Rossm25

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not taking any sides just happy to take any opportunity I can to point out how well the clubs done in recent years. Feel like a proud parent 😂

Haha no sides taken. 

Just pointing out we cannot compete financially or be compared financially to yourselves...as painful as that statement is.

7 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Haha no sides taken. 

Just pointing out we cannot compete financially or be compared financially to yourselves...as painful as that statement is.

We will be competing in different markets anyway I’m sure? Airdrie are completely full time are they not?

We are part time and will definitely be staying part time. I think we get the best of both worlds with the part time model. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We will be competing in different markets anyway I’m sure? Airdrie are completely full time are they not?

We are part time and will definitely be staying part time. I think we get the best of both worlds with the part time model. 

We are nominally a hybrid model with the majority being F/T

37 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think it would be tough to beat the way Arbroath is run, they will be paying very competitive wages and getting the cream of the part time players. On top of Dick Campbell aims for 8th place every year in the Championship so it must take great pressure off the players with that.

Would be great for Airdrie to have that type of backing from the town and do so well financially but we have just been lingering in League One for the last ten years.

It is disappointing because when I was growing up I witnessed a couple of Challenge Cup final wins, competitive finishes in Championship (almost going up under Ian McCall's side until the wheels came off with injuries towards the end).

It seems we have a decent 11 together at the moment with some good performances put in, but we simply need more players and with the season kicking off on Saturday it isn't a good look for us to go in with 14 senior players, 3 of them being part of the management team.

6 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Strange reading a few of our own fans suggesting Justin Devenny as a weak link in the team, yet he scores 3 goals in 3 games and has Arbroath fans saying he stood out to them. Similar with Gabby. Yeah if like him to add goals but he still had 3 assists in 3 games. Better than Smith or Gall. 

As others have said, yes a big week for us in terms of recruitment. Loans into lower league clubs is not a new thing. It's just part of the game now and a way to flesh out a squad and add potentially add some quality, albeit young players. However if you get it right, it can make a huge difference. 

Looking forward to seeing the mighty pen appear soon! 

I wonder if it's the mix up over two players with same surname that had some people being unimpressed by the young left back? Mind you I think he is a solid enough squad player to develop. Justin has started well but probably needs an experienced partner (,McCabe?) to let Frizz attack!

59 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Haha I had to win at least once 

Not trying to score points I must have been thinking back  to the days when we played Arbroath and we would have a bigger travelling support than home support. Take my hat off to Arbroath  manager and officials for doing so well, pity we hadn't whacked there arse  though 😜😜

15 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Not trying to score points I must have been thinking back  to the days when we played Arbroath and we would have a bigger travelling support than home support. Take my hat off to Arbroath  manager and officials for doing so well, pity we hadn't whacked there arse  though 😜😜

Something we should try and emulate in the future. Start to build the club back up again , youth academy is a good start. 

Future will be bright...hopefully 

Something we should try and emulate in the future. Start to build the club back up again , youth academy is a good start. 
Future will be bright...hopefully 
One of the things I loved the most about the play off games was the amount of people walking about town with Airdrie tops on, usually you're used to seeing Rangers and Celtic etc. But it was class to see, especially young kids with their families all walking about wearing the diamond.