The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yesterday was the only game so far he hasn’t scored in, so Arbroath obviously did something right there! He was on loan from Kilmarnock during the second half of last season and played a few games but was mostly just padding out the squad. He’s played all four games so far, partly because we’re very light on numbers, but it’s fair to say he’s grabbed his chance and done really well. I’m hopeful he can really kick on this season, he’s a decent all rounder and seems to have a great skill of arriving into the box just where the ball ends up.

On Watson, I alluded to it earlier but that’s just what happens sometimes when you come up against a very good player from the league above. Linn’s goal during the week was ridiculous, he’s certainly not slowing down much mentally or physically.

It was and the 2 against Edinburgh City are up there too 

But yeah I watched highlights back and I noticed 17 again an awful lot. For 18 years old he looked a whole lot more experienced and a very good build for a guy that young too I think he will do well

On 23/07/2022 at 16:18, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Smith Gall Gabby a fully fit Salim will score goals what are we really expecting it’s very rare u find a striker that can bag atleast 25 a season in league one without paying money for them 

From his post match interview, it sounds like McCabe isn't happy with his front line either. I'd be surprised if we don't see another option come in. 

Yes it's only the league cup but that's 4 games and no goals from our strikers. Not the best start, but as long as they start firing in the league, that's where it counts. 

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It was and the 2 against Edinburgh City are up there too 

But yeah I watched highlights back and I noticed 17 again an awful lot. For 18 years old he looked a whole lot more experienced and a very good build for a guy that young too I think he will do well

Justin was on loan at us last season and just never got the chance under Murray it looks like McCabe wants to use him this season which I won’t complain about has he has been brilliant so far

Strange reading a few of our own fans suggesting Justin Devenny as a weak link in the team, yet he scores 3 goals in 3 games and has Arbroath fans saying he stood out to them. Similar with Gabby. Yeah if like him to add goals but he still had 3 assists in 3 games. Better than Smith or Gall. 

As others have said, yes a big week for us in terms of recruitment. Loans into lower league clubs is not a new thing. It's just part of the game now and a way to flesh out a squad and add potentially add some quality, albeit young players. However if you get it right, it can make a huge difference. 

Looking forward to seeing the mighty pen appear soon! 

Arfbroath were always going to be a big ask given their incredible home form & coming off the back of Tuesday with a very thin squad. Thought both Devs were showing the affects of the injuries sustained on Tuesday and still managed to play reasonably well. Definitely missed CB at right back & Watson really struggled, also missed Rae I thought as Hutton looked a shade of the keeper he was & probably gifted at least two of the goals. Gaffer also had a poor game but then so did most of the team.

Not sure where people think we are going to find the players everyone is expecting........we are a League 1 team operating within a sensible budget. I think we have done well to keep the nucleus of 12-14 that we have. We don't have the crowd revenue of Falkirk, Dunfermline, QOTS etc.....even when playing well we get 1000 max on a consistent basis. If players won't accept the terms offered then what other option than loans.

...still hopeful of some decent additions this week and that our strikers get their shooting boots on.

34 minutes ago, chicagodiamond said:

Not sure where people think we are going to find the players everyone is expecting........we are a League 1 team operating within a sensible budget. I think we have done well to keep the nucleus of 12-14 that we have. We don't have the crowd revenue of Falkirk, Dunfermline, QOTS etc.....even when playing well we get 1000 max on a consistent basis. If players won't accept the terms offered then what other option than loans.

...still hopeful of some decent additions this week and that our strikers get their shooting boots on.

Enough of that making sense patter.

Obviously we still need five or six players in. I wouldn't panic if we haven't brought five or six players in by Saturday's game (in fact I'd maybe even be worried we've rushed signings at the last minute if we do that) but surely we need at least one in, and preferably two or three, before the Peterhead game. Overall I'd say we need another centre back, left back, a couple of midfielders and a couple of forwards (although these could be wide players rather than centre forwards). Would be nice to get one announced today or tonight.

42 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Arbroath don't have the crowds or revenue but they find away . It's a bad job if we can't expect 2 or 3 good new players. That's maybe no sense  ofcourse. 

And what arbroath have done is brought in bargain basement players and players who have had injury worries in the past. Much like we have done with frizzle and mccabe. Or kept the same core team that brought them from league one. Also folk love to play for Dick Campbell for whatever reason. They get tv deals that we don't due to being in the championship as well as much bigger away crowds. So your comparison would have worked better if you had picked montrose or some one of a similar size in our league.

No ones saying we are not looking for or capable of bringing in 2/3 good new players. But they have to be affordable or loans. Same as last year. Folk giving it the "loans are a bad option" forget last year Scott mcgill played in every position for us and was in the first team every week till Patterson,  a other loanee came In. We have relied on loan signings , as have others in our league for a while now. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan eh. 

Really hoping for a left back, Centre half and forward this week. It's getting to the beyond a joke stage now. All well and fine people saying trust the process, but as it stands we must have the smallest senior team squad in the league.

3 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Really hoping for a left back, Centre half and forward this week. It's getting to the beyond a joke stage now. All well and fine people saying trust the process, but as it stands we must have the smallest senior team squad in the league.

Should be 3 coming in as someone mentioned. Meant to sign end of last week but the parent club was late with the paper work before folk cry "shambles" at us. Was talking to someone from the club at the youth game yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Rossm25 said:

Should be 3 coming in as someone mentioned. Meant to sign end of last week but the parent club was late with the paper work before folk cry "shambles" at us. Was talking to someone from the club at the youth game yesterday. 

Are you implying it’s the same parent club for all three players? Given another poster hinted at one of the signings, should we expect three youngsters swapping hoops for diamonds?

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Are you implying it’s the same parent club for all three players? Given another poster hinted at one of the signings, should we expect three youngsters swapping hoops for diamonds?

@ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds showing us all the adult alternative to "enough of this ITK pish, give us names" 😂😂 

4 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Maybe...

I wouldn't want to jinx it , and end up in a west ham striker situation 

59 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

And what arbroath have done is brought in bargain basement players and players who have had injury worries in the past. Much like we have done with frizzle and mccabe. Or kept the same core team that brought them from league one. Also folk love to play for Dick Campbell for whatever reason. They get tv deals that we don't due to being in the championship as well as much bigger away crowds. So your comparison would have worked better if you had picked montrose or some one of a similar size in our league.

No ones saying we are not looking for or capable of bringing in 2/3 good new players. But they have to be affordable or loans. Same as last year. Folk giving it the "loans are a bad option" forget last year Scott mcgill played in every position for us and was in the first team every week till Patterson,  a other loanee came In. We have relied on loan signings , as have others in our league for a while now. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan eh. 

Facts and blinkers two different things.