The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Yeah another centre half and a left back i think is needed.

Tend to agree, although I wouldn’t mind just one player if he was capable of playing left back and centre back (like a left sided Watson) as that would probably give us enough cover across the back 4. Ideally though both positions need additional cover.

20 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah if we're bringing in five players a forward would be my lowest priority. Ideally someone to cover centre back, a left back, a central midfielder to challenge Devenny and Frizzell and a wide player, maybe even two, would be my priorities. 

I think bringing in a forward should be our number one priority. None of our strikers have scored in the premier sports cup and we have only conceded one goal which would indicate that we are reasonably tight at the back and missing a bit of composure up top. 

19 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

We're playing Armadale tomorrow in stoneyburn...so I'm assuming that team will be Tommy rialists and academy lads. 

4 team tourney so maybe more on the Sunday. Bit of a last min thing so maybe not be an announcement on it 

Get Gowser to play with them on the Sunday 😍

3 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think bringing in a forward should be our number one priority. None of our strikers have scored in the premier sports cup and we have only conceded one goal which would indicate that we are reasonably tight at the back and missing a bit of composure up top. 

So we've to ignore the 40 goals between Smith, Gallagher and McGill last season (remembering that McGill missed two thirds of the season) and instead use 3 League Cup games as evidence?

Regardless I'm not sure the discussion is really around the merits of our first choice defence and attack (which I think are both good) but more around the importance of back-up in defensive areas. You can generally cope with a shortage of attacking options better than defence, you can tweak the system to play with less forwards or move players into more advanced positions. You can grind out 0-0s or get goals from set-pieces. It's also an area of the pitch where sticking on a young kid is much lower risk, you aren't going to get a manager who sticks on a 16/17 year old like the other night at centre back. It's much more difficult to survive without enough defenders, we have Ballantyne out today, what if Fordyce and/or Watson can't play? We'd have no chance. Like I say all I'm really looking for is some competent back-up in defensive areas, ideally I'd want that everywhere but I think defence is definitely the priority given the reasons above. Whether we need to improve our starting 11 in different areas is a different debate I think. I think the focus has to be getting a squad now, and then try and improve the first 11 if possible.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

So we've to ignore the 40 goals between Smith, Gallagher and McGill last season (remembering that McGill missed two thirds of the season) and instead use 3 League Cup games as evidence?

Regardless I'm not sure the discussion is really around the merits of our first choice defence and attack (which I think are both good) but more around the importance of back-up in defensive areas. You can generally cope with a shortage of attacking options better than defence, you can tweak the system to play with less forwards or move players into more advanced positions. You can grind out 0-0s or get goals from set-pieces. It's also an area of the pitch where sticking on a young kid is much lower risk, you aren't going to get a manager who sticks on a 16/17 year old like the other night at centre back. It's much more difficult to survive without enough defenders, we have Ballantyne out today, what if Fordyce and/or Watson can't play? We'd have no chance. Like I say all I'm really looking for is some competent back-up in defensive areas, ideally I'd want that everywhere but I think defence is definitely the priority given the reasons above. Whether we need to improve our starting 11 in different areas is a different debate I think. I think the focus has to be getting a squad now, and then try and improve the first 11 if possible.

Certainly have no chance if strikers  miss as many chances, Smith is definitely a good player for the team, but is not a main threat to any team as main striker, 

Today's result was expected to be honest,you cannot go into proud clubs backyards without a loaded gun....

Interesting week ahead McCabe has always said and defended by many on here that the League is when the squad will be ready for....   Ok....are we confident of business getting done,   

2 of the lads on trial at the NL Cup Josh Jack and Jack Garrad have found clubs they have signed for Forfarxand Cowdenbeath respectively.

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Smith Gall Gabby a fully fit Salim will score goals what are we really expecting it’s very rare u find a striker that can bag atleast 25 a season in league one without paying money for them 

That could be the difference paying money for them. I have no doubt manager is aware of problem, certainly have the players  to create chances, got to think players will come in this week . 

Frustrating to do near enough exactly the same thing we did last year. I’m not too bothered by today’s result, we were just beaten by a better team, but if we’d beaten Edinburgh we’d be through. 

It was a strange game today. We started quite well and Smith should have scored early on, only for Arbroath to go up the park and score. It was hard to see what Hutton actually did for their goal but it certainly didn’t look great. After that we got in behind a very good defence numerous times but every time either wasted a clear chance or waited too long and overplayed it. I’m not hugely concerned about the strikers, we saw last season that the goals should come, but it is frustrating watching them miss so many chances at the moment. The main thing for me is that even without Easton we’re still creating plenty. I thought Cole Gibson did well again, had a few dodgy moments but generally looked confident and has certainly done enough to suggest he can at worst be our Dean Ritchie replacement.

The game was done as soon the second goal went in and Arbroath strolled the second half. For as well as we’ve played up until now, today showed the difference in levels between a good League One team short on numbers and a good Championship who have been together for a while. 

A very big week ahead in terms of recruitment. While we can’t get carried away and assume it’s an easy win, a trip to an even more depleted than us Peterhead is a great opportunity to start with three points ahead of a tough looking August. 

Posted on Arbroath thread and not much to add to Mr November. Some nice patterns of play today but the gulf between us was well displayed after the 2nd was scored. Though Justin and Adam worked away , as they all did, there facing them were a solid team of home winners. Need to build some more challenging players if we are to get off to a good start this season.

24 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Posted on Arbroath thread and not much to add to Mr November. Some nice patterns of play today but the gulf between us was well displayed after the 2nd was scored. Though Justin and Adam worked away , as they all did, there facing them were a solid team of home winners. Need to build some more challenging players if we are to get off to a good start this season.

Aye. Arbroath got to be the best part time club in Scotland, 

Listening to McCabe's post match interview I'd say it was a bit harsh to take zero positives from today. At times in the first half we played some really good football but again, the poor decision making and poor finishing let us down in the final 3rd, but the generally build up play was good. We really should of buried a couple of those chances in the first half.

2nd half the early goal killed us and Arbroath came out and bossed us in the 2nd half, they are a very good team and you can see why they were up there last season. Was impressed by Nicky Low and Bobby Lynn.

Massive week in terms of recruitment next week, really really need to get some players in now. Hints at a few loan players and the manager wanting 5/6 in. Have the potential to be a very good team this season, but need to work on the finishing, being a bit more streetwise and being a bit more physical. We were definitely taught a lesson today in the 2nd half. Really hope we hit the ground running and get 3 points next week, especially with some difficult games in August.

39 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Listening to McCabe's post match interview I'd say it was a bit harsh to take zero positives from today. At times in the first half we played some really good football but again, the poor decision making and poor finishing let us down in the final 3rd, but the generally build up play was good. We really should of buried a couple of those chances in the first half.

2nd half the early goal killed us and Arbroath came out and bossed us in the 2nd half, they are a very good team and you can see why they were up there last season. Was impressed by Nicky Low and Bobby Lynn.

Massive week in terms of recruitment next week, really really need to get some players in now. Hints at a few loan players and the manager wanting 5/6 in. Have the potential to be a very good team this season, but need to work on the finishing, being a bit more streetwise and being a bit more physical. We were definitely taught a lesson today in the 2nd half. Really hope we hit the ground running and get 3 points next week, especially with some difficult games in August.

For me McCabe was spot on,he has gave the side every chance,  he knows fine well that was the last game of preseason  and things will crank up in ter the League..  The positions in danger IMO are both Devenneys and Gabby who is hopelessly inc onsistent.

We  currently have one loaner. McMaster from St Mirren,  is 6 the  most loanees a team can have ,   pretty desperate stuff if that the plan....

7 hours ago, David Fernández said:

You have said it all, going to be a big week,