The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

31 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Hard to say who Telfer would come in for. Could be going 4 in the middle and only 2 up top, so a striker that makes way? Also, at the very least, it adds excellent competition in midfield which is exactly what we need. 

Great starting 11 but needs strengthened across the pitch, but I am confident the club are trying everything to do make that happen. 

A few weeks ago i thought we would be aiming for a first team squad of around 20+ but since the announcement of the academy it now looks more like 17, and supplemented by the young uns. Our big players (Fordyce, Frizzell, McCabe, Smith) remaining injury free will have a big impact on our season.

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

He was looking to try down south I think but wanted time to think. Must be so bloody frustrating dealing with that kinda stuff. But like you said nothing signed yet so hopefully we get him over the line. Who would you drop though ? Justin "goal machine" Devenney? Surely not ! 

We add a stronger left back to that starting 11 (Although Euan was great last night) and maybe Salim in for Gabby ? World beaters! 

Salim for Gabby surely no. First two tackles Salim had he went down far to easy . Gabby all though not a prolific scorer puts in a good shift. 

A lot to be happy about from last night. I could get used to seeing Scotland caps and big, physical teams turn up and being bodied by our diminutive ballers. I forgot Keith Lasley was at St. Mirren until I saw him at the game last night, he must hate these midweek nights in Airdrie!

In the lead up to it I thought we'd play well and lose by a goal or two but as I was driving through, it reminded me a lot of the Motherwell game and I started to feel pretty confident we'd win. I think it was a big win for the club and McCabe, as while all the fans are very supportive of him there are understandable frustrations about the lack of signings. That win should help to calm things down a bit.

We started really well and were the better team for the opening 10 minutes. After that St. Mirren came into the game more but I never felt they were going to score and at worst, it was pretty even. The sending off was a clear red, Kiltie didn't mean it but it's as obvious a red as you'll see. Having the extra man helped but I think the big difference from then on was St. Mirren changing shape. They were getting some joy in behind Deveney but they went really narrow after Kiltie went off, which allowed us to dominate the ball at the back and switch it to the wing backs who wee always in loads of space. From then on I was pretty relaxed about us winning the game, as we were clearly the better team. 

It's hard to fault any of the players really. The 4-3-3 in defence and fluid 3-4-3 in attack really suited us. Rae was solid but had a couple of dodgy moments playing out from the back, though that's always going to happen with the way we play. Ballantyne and Deveney did well driving forward and while they were caught out a few times defensively early on, I think that's mostly due to the style of play and the latter's positional awareness. McCabe strolled it in midfield and controlled the game while Frizzell and Devenny were excellent again. I thought Frizzell was the best player on the park, his turn and long pass to Deveney early on was glorious and most of our attacks came through him. Gallagher did well for his first game back and Smith and McGill caused problems, the latter in particular put in a phenomenal shift as always. He might not be a classic winger, which is an issue at times, but you can never fault his effort and the chaos he brings out there. Even the subs all did pretty well. It's good to see Salim back and winning a free-kick by backing his massive arse into someone straight away. I loved Gibson's confidence smashing into a very loud 50/50 and it was great to see Gunn get his goal at the end, he looked lively and very excited to be involved. 

All to play for on Saturday now, which is all we could have asked for before last night's game. Hopefully it goes a bit better than when we were in a similar position last year! I suppose if the message after the Edinburgh game was don't panic, it's now don't get too carried away yet but we can be cautiously excited about this team. 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Salim for Gabby surely no. First two tackles Salim had he went down far to easy . Gabby all though not a prolific scorer puts in a good shift. 

Come on now, it's a tad cruel to criticise considering his lengthy absence. Unless injuries dictate, Sal will be on the bench for around 6 weeks until he regains his fitness then we'll see what he brings.

On 12/07/2022 at 00:11, Bainsfordbairn said:

Wow. I didn't know he'd left us, but then the kids are on a summer break at the moment and I don't see them every week anyway. 

He was one of our U16 players who became U18s at the start of the season, which I think was around January / February. He's still a wee boy just now - small, slight  of frame and can get pushed off the ball - but in my (inexpert) eye he has a fair bit of potential. He's composed in possession,  can pick a pass and can finish. 

He's not first team material at the moment due to his young age but he could well get there in a couple of years. I'm a bit gutted we've lost him tbh. 

Kyan Gunn (4) .jpg

Scored last night v Premier League St Mirren! 

Missed the game (and the ties!) due to being on holiday but what a result. 

Club 1924 ties, Euan Deveney being sweet chin musiced and playing on, Justin Devenny  being a goal machine in midfield, Salim coming on, Kyan fucking Gunn and beating a bunch of Motherwell b*****ds once again. Absolute scenes all round. 

34 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Assuming you are a contributor to the Club 24 I would have thought you'd got the initial email? 

Been a member of club 1924 since it first started. Never got any email, never even got an email about the tie either once hearing about that. Really disappointed.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

He went down on purpose to win a foul as we were 1 nil up and time wasting...surely you get that ?

17 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Been a member of club 1924 since it first started. Never got any email, never even got an email about the tie either once hearing about that. Really disappointed.

Do you normally get emails from The club? Might be work checking your junk mail or make sure you haven’t unsubscribed somewhere along the way. I don’t usually get club 24 emails but did about this event. That’s where they handed the ties etc out. 

43 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Do you normally get emails from The club? Might be work checking your junk mail or make sure you haven’t unsubscribed somewhere along the way. I don’t usually get club 24 emails but did about this event. That’s where they handed the ties etc out. 

I’m not sure what’s happened, I checked my junk mail. I checked with the club and I’m definitely still in the email list. Think it was just one of those things, as gutting as it was to miss it. 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Come on now, it's a tad cruel to criticise considering his lengthy absence. Unless injuries dictate, Sal will be on the bench for around 6 weeks until he regains his fitness then we'll see what he brings.

Aye, that's what I think, it will take a few games for Salim to get match fit, then he will use his strength to our advantage, 

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Watching the highlights back and hadn't realised just how involved McGill was in basically all our attacks. Everyone played great but I'd say him, Watson and Frizzell in particular were outstanding.

I was the same I came away thinking Mcgill did OK,  but after watching the highlights he was great. Its amazing how much you watch a game and focus on the wee mistakes or crap touches. Think I saw somewhere he's on 3 assists for the tournament , fair play to the laddie. 

6 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

I can understand that and I have found Yvonne Jamieson really helpful. Maybe contact her at club to see if their database is up to date. 

22 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I can understand that and I have found Yvonne Jamieson really helpful. Maybe contact her at club to see if their database is up to date. 

Couldn't make it myself was it a purvey with speakers etc, 6 pm seemed a tad early to only get some prawn sandwiches and a kerafe of red wine.

The ties and the chiffon scarf were they worth the wait....I

And more importantly I thought Airdrie passed St Mirre n off the park at times,  well worth the win,  special mention to Cole and Gunn came on and never looked overawed,   but surely these lads have to be protected and learn the game playing there level,   

34 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yeah I did, and she was brilliant as always! She’s going to email me personally next time there’s a club 1924 thing to make sure I don’t miss out again!