The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I heard from someone that Peterhead had two separate training groups, with a group training in the central belt and a group training in the north east, and then meeting up on matchdays. Not sure how accurate that info is but I can imagine it’s even more difficult for the part time clubs in more remote areas.

Think they train in Forfar or definitely were training in Forfar. They used to go on after my mates team finished

Similarly Elgin also train in Laurencekirk

Edited by 1320Lichtie

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I heard from someone that Peterhead had two separate training groups, with a group training in the central belt and a group training in the north east, and then meeting up on matchdays. Not sure how accurate that info is but I can imagine it’s even more difficult for the part time clubs in more remote areas.

45 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think they train in Forfar or definitely were training in Forfar. They used to go on after my mates team finished

Similarly Elgin also train in Laurencekirk

Makes sense gents, makes sense ...

12 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Going back a good few years now I think QOS did try a spell of everyone training in Dumfries to try to improve the overall identity/connection with the community, but it didn't last long as I recall.  We've always had a few local southern area players (and we have again this season) but generally the majority of the squad will be central belt based and so locating the training at Hamilton or Cumbernauld (think we may have used Broadwood in the past) for example with good motorway access is a good compromise and aids attracting players.  I've no knowledge of this, but I'd imagine other "remote" clubs (eg Peterhead, Stranraer, Montrose possibly) might do something similar.

I'd be amazed if Queens offer top notch FT wages at this level (Falkirk and Dunfermline will very probably pay more than Queens), so the club has to be more creative in making its overall package attractive - hence the central belt training.

Stranraer used to train in Paisley, now North Ayrshire.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Couple of signings wouldn't go a miss today, wouldn't hold my breath tho

32 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

It’s a big ask going into tonight’s game as we are.

I won’t be the only one in saying that I’m not expecting any signings anymore. Not saying I’ve given up, but I’m just a bit more apathetic about it, instead of watching the clock every night hoping for the pen to come out. 

6 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

That’s the point I’ve reached as well emoji1787.png

Been watching every minute to get to sponsor shirt on any new player, last time I asked about signing's, do I want to know what they are doing at training and what officials had had for breaky, don't think we would finish in top with depth of sqad at moment. All could improve though and what a difference it would make to bring in 3 players with a bit of quality. 

I appreciate that some teams see this cup as an intensified pre season tournament but that’s no reason to not have a full squad.

Having 2 first team players on the bench alongside a bunch of young lads does not fill me with hope. A more experienced team would known that this cup gives you a chance to gel your starting 11 prior to the season kicking off.

It’s getting very near panic station atm. 

Edited by Diamond1924

31 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

The team we've got just now is a good base but need to add 4/5 guys to compete in the league once it starts, surely won't be relying on 17/18 year olds off the bench.

You're right, I'd be very surprised if that's how it ends up. Not a chance the club are sitting back accepting what we have in so far. We've made a couple of great signings in Ballantyne and Rae so far. There's bound to be more but clearly it's tougher to do and taking longer than anyone expected. 

I'm still not overly concerned but, like everyone else, would love to see the pen out soon. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

I appreciate that some teams see this cup as an intensified pre season tournament but that’s no reason to not have a full squad.
Having 2 first team players on the bench alongside a bunch of young lads does not fill me with hope. A more experienced team would known that this cup gives you a chance to gel your starting 11 prior to the season kicking off.

It’s getting very near panic station atm. 

Assuming McMasters is ineligible to play against his parent club I wouldn’t be surprised if we see one of the academy boys starting again. With McMasters and Salim unavailable, we only have 12 and obviously two of those are goalies, so really it’s 11 senior players eligible to start the game.

Rae

Ballantyne Watson Fordyce Deveney

Frizzell McCabe Devenny

McGill Gallagher Smith

That’s the 11 but keeping in mind that Gal wasn’t in the squad for the last game he might not be fit. McCabe’s also been playing himself at centre back so if he continues that then one of the academy boys would have to play in midfield.

Assuming McMasters is ineligible to play against his parent club I wouldn’t be surprised if we see one of the academy boys starting again. With McMasters and Salim unavailable, we only have 12 and obviously two of those are goalies, so really it’s 11 senior players eligible to start the game.

Rae

Frizzell McCabe Devenny

McGill Gallagher Smith

That’s the 11 but keeping in mind that Gal wasn’t in the squad for the last game he might not be fit. McCabe’s also been playing himself at centre back so if he continues that then one of the academy boys would have to play in midfield.

The current squad depth does kinda take the fun out of re-arranging the deck chairs to see what we can come up with [emoji1787]

Rae

Frizzell McCabe Devenny

McGill Gallagher Smith

Surely can't go with Cole Gibson (no offence to him thought he done well against Edinburgh) against a St Mirren team where basically all of their players are over 6ft and are a big physical side.

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:
2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Rae

Frizzell McCabe Devenny

McGill Gallagher Smith

Surely can't go with Cole Gibson (no offence to him thought he done well against Edinburgh) against a St Mirren team where basically all of their players are over 6ft and are a big physical side.

Have faith in management and ask no questions 🤣🤣🖋️🖋️🖋️🖋️🖋️

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Have faith in management and ask no questions 🤣🤣🖋️🖋️🖋️🖋️🖋️

I hope for some inside info on here later, coming from the invite only Club 1924 evening  tonight,  hopefully it isn't too  hot for the prawn sandwiches and wine.......

enjoy watching the game from the hospitality boxes .......

onto the serious stuff and yes it is getting serious now,  Nothing to report since the Edinburgh game signings wise,    Rhys himself stated after the Edinburgh game significance happening within the week,  still nothing,  if players don't want to sign move on ffs...

excuses on here are wearing thin

The squad is chronically thin. A decent first team and literally nothing else of any use at this level. Very worrying

0-0 as I’m writing this. But a decent result could show how resilient this first team are, a bad result and pressure is on to get bodies in. Hoping for the best here. We have talent in this side but like you said, very thin overall. These types of games can punish that

29 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

0-0 as I’m writing this. But a decent result could show how resilient this first team are, a bad result and pressure is on to get bodies in. Hoping for the best here. We have talent in this side but like you said, very thin overall. These types of games can punish that

Absolutely. I have few worries about the first choice 11, but the chances of them managing more than a couple of games without any issues is very small.