The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I’m not seeing pure rage. More frustration at having half a squad and premier league opponents/the league looming and those concerns being dismissed when they’re perfectly valid. You’re not worried - that’s fine. Some people are - also fine.

100 it's fine, of course it is like i said each to there own. But folk are constantly wanting to blame someone for some reason. You said it yourself a few pages ago, something along the lines of its always someone else fault when I was trying to apply a bit of reason to the situation. It's just the facts, and again like I've said a million times over and over again. I want players but you cant force folk to sign. If we offer a contract to a player who then says , I want to wait to see if I can get a deal down south,  that's no ones fault. Mate of mine knows Danny lennon and he had 3/4 players reject a contract because they wanted to try get one full time, they then couldn't so came back to clyde with their tails between there legs. It's just the nature of it all the now. 

We had folk moan about the youth academy , on here and on twitter etc, folk complaining about a team building exercise, moaning about sponsors being announced "no plauers but they are always quick to announce sponsors eh" of course they bloody are , its money and news. One lad being utterly obsessed with the fact we hadnt decleared Mccabe coaching credentials when weve never asked that from anyone else. I just don't get that attitude. 

100 it's fine, of course it is like i said each to there own. But folk are constantly wanting to blame someone for some reason. You said it yourself a few pages ago, something along the lines of its always someone else fault when I was trying to apply a bit of reason to the situation. It's just the facts, and again like I've said a million times over and over again. I want players but you cant force folk to sign. If we offer a contract to a player who then says , I want to wait to see if I can get a deal down south,  that's no ones fault. Mate of mine knows Danny lennon and he had 3/4 players reject a contract because they wanted to try get one full time, they then couldn't so came back to clyde with their tails between there legs. It's just the nature of it all the now. 
We had folk moan about the youth academy , on here and on twitter etc, folk complaining about a team building exercise, moaning about sponsors being announced "no plauers but they are always quick to announce sponsors eh" of course they bloody are , its money and news. One lad being utterly obsessed with the fact we hadnt decleared Mccabe coaching credentials when weve never asked that from anyone else. I just don't get that attitude. 

The youth academy and football golf day I really couldn’t care less about TBH. But again, each to their own. I just want a successful first team. But of course you’d announce sponsors etc so not sure what that griping is about. However frustrations can often spill onto other aspects.

Also aware you can’t press gang people into signing a contract, give folk some credit as they understand that too. As for the coaching thing, the club set an expectation around a support structure so maybe people are expecting to see something in that area and asking questions when it doesn’t happen?

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And it the FB page gets slated for being too happy clappy, I don't see anything wrong with my opinion being that the P&B page is the opposite at times. 🤷‍♂️

I think to be dead honest, the FB page gets brought up as a source of amusement mainly and on some rarer occasions concern as the views can get a bit "militant" to put it kindly. I wouldn't term it "happy clappy" more "attention seeky". 

Just now, She who dares gins said:

The youth academy and football golf day I really couldn’t care less about TBH. But again, each to their own. I just want a successful first team. But of course you’d announce sponsors etc so not sure what that griping is about. However frustrations can often spill onto other aspects.

Also aware you can’t press gang people into signing a contract, give folk some credit.

See we are totally in agreement. But some folk on here seem to think to this signing a player is easy or that we have infinite cash.

It's so bloody frustrating for everyone at the club as well im sure, we need to remember that. And I know frustration spills , I just wish folk would rationalise things a bit better, no one wants the club to do bad, especially not the club. 

See we are totally in agreement. But some folk on here seem to think to this signing a player is easy or that we have infinite cash.
It's so bloody frustrating for everyone at the club as well im sure, we need to remember that. And I know frustration spills , I just wish folk would rationalise things a bit better, no one wants the club to do bad, especially not the club. 

I wouldn’t know how the club felt about anything…

2 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I wouldn’t know how the club felt about anything…

Haha probably cause folk would complain if they put out a statement saying "trying to bring in players this year is a wee bit trickier than usual" 

My Dad works with a player that played for Clyde last season and he chose to join East Kilbride in the juniors as it was closer to home as he stays in Hamilton.

I think you even seen that in a couple of the players we signed. Josh Rae was clearly looking for a higher move than QOS and when the move to a higher club didn't work out, he opted to stay closer to home as Cumbernauld is just down the road from Airdrie. Similar to Cammy Ballantyne in which he opted to join Airdrie full time as the cost of travelling up to Montrose would be a fortune and it worked our well for him as he does coaching at the stadium.

Might be the case that players are holding out for the best moves possible, and it could be somewhat of a scramble before the league campaign starts. But I think with the cost of living going up, and players in league 1 not on the highest of wages, most players are looking at clubs fairly local to them.

In other news, I was having a look at the other scores today and Raith finished their game with two midfielders at the back, only one recognised defender on the pitch and then loads of attacking midfielders and their one striker. Murrayball is alive and well! Looking forward to seeing what McCabeball antics are in store this season.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

In other news, I was having a look at the other scores today and Raith finished their game with two midfielders at the back, only one recognised defender on the pitch and then loads of attacking midfielders and their one striker. Murrayball is alive and well! Looking forward to seeing what McCabeball antics are in store this season.

Was talking to a mate of mine this morning about Murrayball,  when it worked it was absolute scenes. 

21 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Was talking to a mate of mine this morning about Murrayball,  when it worked it was absolute scenes. 

To be honest I think there were more examples of it not working but even then, it was generally a good laugh. The first 3-2 win over Dumbarton and the Montrose play-off game will live long in the memory. No tactics, just vibes and big Afolabi running the show.

To be honest I think there were more examples of it not working but even then, it was generally a good laugh. The first 3-2 win over Dumbarton and the Montrose play-off game will live long in the memory. No tactics, just vibes and big Afolabi running the show.

It worked a lot more in Murray’s last season than in previous seasons, and I think that was purely down to the desire of last season’s squad to actually get the results.

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

It worked a lot more in Murray’s last season than in previous seasons, and I think that was purely down to the desire of last season’s squad to actually get the results.

Agreed, it helps when the first idea isn’t just launching Sean Crighton forward too.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Josh Rae was clearly looking for a higher move than QOS and when the move to a higher club didn't work out, he opted to stay closer to home as Cumbernauld is just down the road from Airdrie.

But I think with the cost of living going up, and players in league 1 not on the highest of wages, most players are looking at clubs fairly local to them.

FWIW QOS actually train at Hamilton Palace. They've done that for a while now so that they can attract central belt players; and the Dumfries based players do the traveling.

With Rae my understanding is that when his move to Carlisle fell through (due to family reasons ... ?) he got back in touch with Gibson but by then Queens had filled the gap with Max Currie and it was too late to come back. If that's right then it wasn't really a locality thing (and anyway Queens train at Hamilton which wouldn't have been an issue for him).

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I think to be dead honest, the FB page gets brought up as a source of amusement mainly and on some rarer occasions concern as the views can get a bit "militant" to put it kindly. I wouldn't term it "happy clappy" more "attention seeky". 

FB doesn't need to seek too much to catch your attention I see!! 😉

FWIW QOS actually train at Hamilton Palace. They've done that for a while now so that they can attract central belt players; and the Dumfries based players do the traveling.
With Rae my understanding is that when his move to Carlisle fell through (due to family reasons ... ?) he got back in touch with Gibson but by then Queens had filled the gap with Max Currie and it was too late to come back. If that's right then it wasn't really a locality thing (and anyway Queens train at Hamilton which wouldn't have been an issue for him).

When he signed for Airdrie and the statement from our website it did sound like locality thing, but you might know more being a QOS fan. I can only comment from the statement from our website and Josh Rae's interview. Didn't realise QOS trained at Hamilton, I think Rico stays there. Probably explains his move to QOS. I Always thought with QOS you would attract full time players regardless of location anyways. I just know that Josh Rae stays in cumbernauld which is only 15 minutes from Airdrie.

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

My Dad works with a player that played for Clyde last season and he chose to join East Kilbride in the juniors as it was closer to home as he stays in Hamilton.

East Kilbride were closer to Hamilton than Clyde who play in Hamilton?! 😉

11 hours ago, David Fernández said:

When he signed for Airdrie and the statement from our website it did sound like locality thing, but you might know more being a QOS fan. I can only comment from the statement from our website and Josh Rae's interview. Didn't realise QOS trained at Hamilton, I think Rico stays there. Probably explains his move to QOS. I Always thought with QOS you would attract full time players regardless of location anyways. I just know that Josh Rae stays in cumbernauld which is only 15 minutes from Airdrie.

Going back a good few years now I think QOS did try a spell of everyone training in Dumfries to try to improve the overall identity/connection with the community, but it didn't last long as I recall.  We've always had a few local southern area players (and we have again this season) but generally the majority of the squad will be central belt based and so locating the training at Hamilton or Cumbernauld (think we may have used Broadwood in the past) for example with good motorway access is a good compromise and aids attracting players.  I've no knowledge of this, but I'd imagine other "remote" clubs (eg Peterhead, Stranraer, Montrose possibly) might do something similar.

I'd be amazed if Queens offer top notch FT wages at this level (Falkirk and Dunfermline will very probably pay more than Queens), so the club has to be more creative in making its overall package attractive - hence the central belt training.

Going back a good few years now I think QOS did try a spell of everyone training in Dumfries to try to improve the overall identity/connection with the community, but it didn't last long as I recall.  We've always had a few local southern area players (and we have again this season) but generally the majority of the squad will be central belt based and so locating the training at Hamilton or Cumbernauld (think we may have used Broadwood in the past) for example with good motorway access is a good compromise and aids attracting players.  I've no knowledge of this, but I'd imagine other "remote" clubs (eg Peterhead, Stranraer, Montrose possibly) might do something similar.
I'd be amazed if Queens offer top notch FT wages at this level (Falkirk and Dunfermline will very probably pay more than Queens), so the club has to be more creative in making its overall package attractive - hence the central belt training.

I heard from someone that Peterhead had two separate training groups, with a group training in the central belt and a group training in the north east, and then meeting up on matchdays. Not sure how accurate that info is but I can imagine it’s even more difficult for the part time clubs in more remote areas.