The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's all about opinions of course, but some of the dramatic doomsday posts on here in recent weeks have been laughable. 

It's all been said but not every fans stays in Airdrie, and we rely on the club keeping us up to date, 

4 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

It's all been said but not every fans stays in Airdrie, and we rely on the club keeping us up to date, 

Up to date with what though? Do you want running commentary on potential targets, how they did in training, what deal we've offered them? We find out once the deal is done, which is as it should be. 

Not quite sure what else is expected. A wee post from PH letting us know what he had for his dinner last night? 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

dramatic doomsday posts 

That's quite a leap from people being concerned about the fact we don't currently have a squad despite competitive games having already started a couple of games ago or people wanting more specific information on contracts and injuries similar to what is literally done by the vast, overwhelming majority of other clubs.

Pure drama queens 🙄🙄🙄

36 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Up to date with what though? Do you want running commentary on potential targets, how they did in training, what deal we've offered them? We find out once the deal is done, which is as it should be. 

Not quite sure what else is expected. A wee post from PH letting us know what he had for his dinner last night? 

Forget it. Only interested in our results, 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

To be fair,  it would be nice to have a wee update on the likes of Salims injury. 

Other than that though it has to be a case of news when there is news. There's a lot of good stuff going on that people have totally looked over or ridiculed. Things like sponsorships being extended , the youth academy,  new pitch (did you know there is a new pitch btw?) All these things have  the potential to bring in more money or gives us more money now which let's us hopefully up our budget. Signings are needed , and aye they were needed two weeks ago but we are trying and no amount of salty posts on here or Facebook will make it easier for us to get players over the line. 

There's folk here who have already written off Mccabe , have decided the club are actively trying to not bring players in, and both want us to bring in anyone or everyone , but also only the very best, but also only names they recognise. And for those folk we could sign Eusabio reincarnated and they would still complain that he's not been tested at this level.

To be fair,  it would be nice to have a wee update on the likes of Salims injury. 
Other than that though it has to be a case of news when there is news. There's a lot of good stuff going on that people have totally looked over or ridiculed. Things like sponsorships being extended , the youth academy,  new pitch (did you know there is a new pitch btw?) All these things have  the potential to bring in more money or gives us more money now which let's us hopefully up our budget. Signings are needed , and aye they were needed two weeks ago but we are trying and no amount of salty posts on here or Facebook will make it easier for us to get players over the line. 
There's folk here who have already written off Mccabe , have decided the club are actively trying to not bring players in, and both want us to bring in anyone or everyone , but also only the very best, but also only names they recognise. And for those folk we could sign Eusabio reincarnated and they would still complain that he's not been tested at this level.

The board have invested in a new pitch and also a new youth academy. These can only be positive things as well as strengthening with squad with players to improve us from last season while keeping a hold of the core of an excellent squad from last year. People also forgetting that this is McCabe's first job as a manager, whilst also having to maintain his fitness and be a key player for this season too. I very much believe that the board and management team are doing their best. In terms of recruitment, he's said several times in interviews that he is working on brining players in and not just sign players to sit on the bench. If you look at other clubs, there is very little movement there either. Reading the Dunfermline forum, I think it was early June they last signed someone. McCabe was a very key player for us last season and 100% we should be right behind him for his first season as a manager as well. Ridiculous stuff for some people to have written him off already. As long as we are well prepared for the league campaign that is the most important thing.

23 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I am sorry but I have never read anything but good about McCabe, we will just have to have patience and hope all turns out in favour of Airdrie, 

37 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

What a crock of horseshit, to be blunt.

1 - Everyone here wants McCabe to succeed.

2 - It's not unreasonable for fans to hope for their club to improve their playing squad. Like everyone else, we aspire to forward momentum, not to step backwards.

3 - It's also not unreasonable to expect a team to have sufficient numbers of competent players in their squad, something the other 41 teams, with one or two possible exceptions, appear to have accomplished.

So the real question is not on the intangibles that we can't measure as we don't have sight of them (transfer targets, effort expended etc), it's the objective fact that we are now into competitive fixtures and at best running with 2 senior player subs, one of whom is a goalkeeper, as well as having to field kids as successful recruitment has been minimal.

No hand waving or blaming fans changes the fact that this squad needs strengthened in order to have a chance of maintaining last seasons momentum.

8 minutes ago, G_H said:

2 - It's not unreasonable for fans to hope for their club to improve their playing squad. Like everyone else, we aspire to forward momentum, not to step backwards.

3 - It's also not unreasonable to expect a team to have sufficient numbers of competent players in their squad, something the other 41 teams, with one or two possible exceptions, appear to have accomplished.

So the real question is not on the intangibles that we can't measure as we don't have sight of them (transfer targets, effort expended etc), it's the objective fact that we are now into competitive fixtures and at best running with 2 senior player subs, one of whom is a goalkeeper, as well as having to field kids as successful recruitment has been minimal.

No hand waving or blaming fans changes the fact that this squad needs strengthened in order to have a chance of maintaining last seasons momentum.

Thanks, being one of the very older  brigade no very good with words, your post is very good  hi

46 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Who has written McCabe off on here? Genuine question. I don't think I've seen a single post which included anything like that?

Yeah I’ve posted before that my concern is him and Fordyce balancing their form as players alongside all the extra coaching and management side of things. I think everyone is behind the appointment, it’s a risk but given none of the other proposed names were too exciting, I’m happy to take a gamble with a guy the fans all respect and can see how much of a leader he is on the park. Being a player/manager is a tough role that people often struggle in. I have faith in McCabe to do well but it’s also realistic to suggest he needs support given it’s his first managerial job and he's also still playing. That doesn’t mean I’m writing him off though, far from it.

Edited by Mr November

16 minutes ago, Mr November said:

it’s a risk but given none of the other proposed names were too exciting, I’m happy to take a gamble with a guy the fans all respect and can see how much of a leader he is on the park. 

I think this is bang on. This is exactly how I feel about the situation.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

That's quite a leap from people being concerned about the fact we don't currently have a squad despite competitive games having already started a couple of games ago or people wanting more specific information on contracts and injuries similar to what is literally done by the vast, overwhelming majority of other clubs.

Pure drama queens 🙄🙄🙄

There's been posts saying the current situation is ludicrous, the club is a shambles, we are in for a long hard season etc.

Not even assembled our full squad yet or played a league game so to your own words, yes. There's been the odd 'drama queen' post on here. 

One thing that's clear is we all want our club to be a success. Good stuff. But we are all also entitled to take it as we see it. And it the FB page gets slated for being too happy clappy, I don't see anything wrong with my opinion being that the P&B page is the opposite at times. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

17 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

There's been posts saying the current situation is ludicrous, the club is a shambles, we are in for a long hard season etc.

Not even assembled our full squad yet or played a league game so to your own words, yes. There's been the odd 'drama queen' post on here. 

One thing that's clear is we all want our club to be a success. Good stuff. But we are all also entitled to take it as we see it. And it the FB page gets slated for being too happy clappy, I don't see anything wrong with my opinion being that the P&B page is the opposite at times. 🤷‍♂️

Agree a win makes all the difference,  Tues will give us a wee guide where we are at. Will be the strongest team we have played, sometimes the better teams allow you to play football and we have shown we can do that, 

57 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

There have been factual circumstances which has led to us being behind on the recruitment side compared to most other teams at this stage.

We were in the play off finals, IM left, Rhys appointed, so effectively we started the season preparations 4 weeks behind most others in what was already a short close season anyway. Could we have mitigated better for this, mibbees aye, mibbees naw, but the fact is we are and it's a tad concerning we may have missed the boat on some signing targets.

Rhys has not really been dealt an easy hand for his first shot at management but hopefully he has a couple of gems still to come in although they will most probably loans.

Edited by Kenny_m

1 hour ago, G_H said:

And I never once said it was unreasonable to want to bring in better players think ive stated numerous times including innmy post youve quoated as saying we need a squad. But all moaning on here isn't going to make any difference and folk just focus on the the negative, and totally ignore the positive. 

And im glad so many folk are behind him, it's good. Happy to strike that one from the record! But yourself , and others constantly focus on the negativity , what do you get from it ? Each to their own and all that but folk getting pure raging at signings what do you think is going ?. Serious question that no one answers , do you think the clubs doing it on purpose ? And if so why ? 

Edited by Rossm25

And I never once said it was unreasonable to want to bring in better players think ive stated numerous times including innmy post youve quoated as saying we need a squad. But all moaning on here isn't going to make any difference and folk just focus on the the negative, and totally ignore the positive. 
And im glad so many folk are behind him, it's good. Happy to strike that one from the record! But yourself , and others constantly focus on the negativity , what do you get from it ? Each to their own and all that but folk getting pure raging at signings what do you think is going ?. Serious question that no one answers , do you think the clubs doing it on purpose ? And if so why ? 

I’m not seeing pure rage. More frustration at having half a squad and premier league opponents/the league looming and those concerns being dismissed when they’re perfectly valid. You’re not worried - that’s fine. Some people are - also fine.

Edited to say: Just watched IM post match and he too was saying how tough it is to get players but didn’t elaborate why. It’s still OK to be concerned about it.